SC vs HC vs SSFHC vs SSFSC

I think all leagues are great and depending on your goals, and what you want as fun. Each person is different.

I personally always played hardcore since closed beta in 2012.
After some insane amount of changes to the game over patches, mechanics, betrayal lags etc, I changed to sc mostly.

However, I usually alternate. I normally play a league in sc, with trade and try to achieve 94+ level, enjoy each new content, kill hard bosses and find a meta build trading for its items, farming etc. Once I reach the desired goals or achievements (usually 24 or 32 depending on what I want that specific time), I was bored as hell and change to HC SSF, playing a build I want for fun, and play with a different goal in mind, just survive the campaign and try to push the maps to the harder my build can, which sometimes is tier 7-8, other times is t15-16, etc. It varies depending on my drop luck and the build I chosed, which usually is not a meta one. I normaly then play the league unti I die, and then I move to other games until the release of the next league if I like it, others I just skip.
IGN: Gonorreitor
"
DrB00M wrote:
Hi everyone,

SSFSC league

I've landed that this may be the best option. While I'm sad I can't play with my friends, at least this mode has some trade offs.

i) Death is still mostly meaningless, but items and drops are meaningful

ii) Drops are less about "how much chaos is it worth?" and instead, "how can I use this to improve myself?"

The only downside to this is it may also run into the same problem HC has with regard to build choices. Since many builds are item dependent, playing SSF might just mean playing builds that can run more on rare items than uniques. So it is just another fancy way to narrow my build choices down.

What does everyone else feel is the most fun to play, taking into consideration risk and reward and build choice?

Please keep this discussion mature and not about what mode is better than another. Thanks.

I normally play SSFSC when my friends are on to other games and SC when they show up. Then I have characters to play with them, that end up with gear I didn't drop if I start falling too far behind, and characters I play solo.

My suggestion is to play SC. You can play with friends but choose how to gimp yourself.
I switched to SSSFSC around delve league or so due to trade one being too easy. So far it feels like an improvement, drops really mean something and the progression is generally more logical, say you can't "cheat" some items before you actually kill the bosses that drop them; resource management is a thing too.
Making some unique-heavy build in standard after some 3 leagues of collecting the things for it is somewhat satisfying.
Not caring about pixel wealth and chaos/exalt "value" of items is a big plus if you ask me.

As for the downside, not dropping that particular map or a super common unique your build needs feels a bit meh.

Would like to try SSFHC at some point, but about half of my playtime is spent using shitty adsl connection with a lot of lags and occasional disconnects.
"Path of Exile's engine is currently modern, lean and fast." - Chris Wilson, September 19th, 2019
The problem with SSF SC is map sustain without training is like punching yourself in the balls over and over and trying to pretend its fun.

Its not, and its not meaningful or deep. Skill, damage, survivability is not beating you. RNG is. Have fun.
Im playing SSFSC mode only. HC - game is far to unstable to play it IMHO at least on my potato machine. I dont like trading (tried it before) and i prefer single player experience where i controll pace of progress. I hate amphetamyne-like mind set and just "run, run, run, fast, fast, fast, run, run, run, fast, fast, fast". I hate that.

So SSF only and i never migrated any character to Standard not SSF.
Last edited by de99ial on Nov 26, 2019, 3:25:18 AM
+1 on the private league option. Honour-system SSF with friends can be very rewarding without all the time spent with the awkward trade system, you really do get a sense of accomplishment unlocking all the crafting yourself, finding the occasional windfall of an early tabula or a staple support gem like Vaal Haste or Enlighten.

I do think HC has some constraints on build diversity, but it's like real life. IRL you can theoretically grow up to be anything you set your mind to, but you'll be more successful and have better quality of life if you study science, tech, business, or engineering, than if you train to be a wrestler or choose to study something that does not pay well.

That said, we know RL pro wrestlers who have made fortunes and had long careers; and professional artists, poets, and musicians that become recognized around the world and make millions off albums or works of art.

So do not be afraid to try the occasional creative build in HC, even if you don't have time to try it out first in SC. Path of Building helps tremendously if you're trying to decide whether to target farm a particular unique for a build you're not sure of. If you die, then it wasn't meant to be that way and you can start over with new plans.

As for shaper/elder/Chayula, always push yourself to try even if you are almost certain you will fail. Sometimes RNG is on your side and you zig when you should zig, zag when you should zag, and manage to dodge or block all the right things. And in doing so, you learn the fight even if you die, because you see how your build responds (or doesn't) under pressure with little to no outside knowledge.

Lastly, if you're not having fun then stop doing un-fun things and find something you like. Time on this earth is short - and although a league is only three months, there's always new stuff to see next league. Maybe your favourite skill will get the buff it needs to carry it through HC where it failed before. If not, don't hold your breath. You have 24 char slots to play any type of league u want.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info