In response to the quick discussion about PvP from ExileCon

"
Aodui wrote:
pvp talk https://www.twitch.tv/videos/509325982?t=4h12m16s

Sounds like Reddit was so angry about it that we were thrown under the bus.

This is in response to the time stamped video linked above when the developer Jonathan was asked about PvP. He specifically states that the community had punished them for trying to focus some attention to PvP, which is true. However, I think we have to provide a little context to that situation.

1. Poe was small time way back then, and the community was even smaller

2. Things were developing at a snails pace at that time and the game had primarily PvE players

3. The PvP patch did not transition or introduce said players to PvP in an seamless way (it was too cut throat for a lot of them "especially since these were casual PvE players that did not really take PvP seriously", and balance issues turned away a lot of players before the patches/pvp scaling was introduced)

4. Then there was the lack of any PvE content due to that patch being mainly PvP. So began the animosity towards PvP from PvE focused players (GGG could only work on a limited amount of things at a time back then)

Afterwards it seemed the developers/chris got traumatized from those attempts and completely tossed PvP aside (almost like the synthesis treatment). I had really wished back then that they would have given it more chances despite the reaction. Since it takes a lot of time to draw in players to the PvP side of a game and to build a community but I realized they were not equipped to do so. So the small vocal outcry from PvE players on the forums back then was enough to sway GGG to scrap the idea going forward. The pvp community (our voice) thus stagnated and declined rapidly.

Now over many years the PvE crowd has grown and their voices have been stronger then ever in favor of PvE (obviously) as long as GGG kept on focusing solely on that while neglecting PvP. Now most of what GGG hears is the "more PvE!" and "we don't care about PvP" echo chambers. Its become a vicious cycle of "Make mainly PvE content -> Appeals mainly to PvE players -> Most players playing/posting are PvE focused -> Any major update/content to PvP = bad to these players -> So make mainly PvE content".

Point being is I hope GGG will realize some of the context behind the push back they had received in the past about PvP so hopefully they won't be so afraid of implementing some PvP focused content in the future.
Last edited by Ken on Nov 18, 2019, 6:35:40 AM
Last bumped on Dec 4, 2019, 7:24:43 AM
with the new pve content those items, acendancies etc makes it even harder to balance pvp
IGN : Relithh , Stronkberry
I posted this in the wrong section, mods could you please move this to PvP Discussions? Thanks
i post on the exilecon recap..."no pvp news? why have exile con if no pvp news?"

some hardcore pvers private msg me this

"Are you kidding me
To: googie337
wow you have to be really stupid if you think poe is all about PVP, on top of that i think telling every one what the future holds by showing EXSPANSIONS and a SEQUAL is a thousand times better than saying hey heres we got for PVP go fuck yourself peace. but who am i kidding all you care about is PVP in a 90% PVE game."

i guess he is right =)
Last edited by googie337 on Nov 19, 2019, 9:22:48 AM
Problem is the PvP community can be insufferable as well. PvP has a long road ahead and even attempts to bring it into the spotlight has had so much resistance from PvPers that it is frustrating
oh, please. you can't blame the players when this is what the players have to work with.
[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

...it was quotes. from the forum. lolz!
"
Problem is the PvP community can be insufferable as well. PvP has a long road ahead and even attempts to bring it into the spotlight has had so much resistance from PvPers that it is frustrating

Ethical pvp hosted by ProjectPT failed because no one wanted to LLD and it made him ragequit. Not sure why Pvpers are to blame if they mostly hate LLD.

Running around with abberath boots abusing pvp formula and calling it ethical was sure funny as hell too.

GGG and their stellar balance at introducing broken crap every 3 months made the list of banned skills and items ridiculous in the end.

Forum pvp
Last edited by lolozori on Nov 30, 2019, 10:13:50 AM
You can assume what you will. I participated both in the HLD and LLD and enjoyed both. There were participation issues in both the LLD and HLD dueling, but what made me stop was the PvPers. As soon as hooves was brought up to be banned they were, ya, every 3 months there is broken shit and it's really hard to work around in a format. But the truth is, most players here would rather complain than PvP. I built the entire format using players feedback and when I threw in the towel becaue I was tired of the children here, did they continue to PvP? no, because what I saw, was people pretending to be interested in PvP
"
You can assume what you will. I participated both in the HLD and LLD and enjoyed both. There were participation issues in both the LLD and HLD dueling, but what made me stop was the PvPers. As soon as hooves was brought up to be banned they were, ya, every 3 months there is broken shit and it's really hard to work around in a format. But the truth is, most players here would rather complain than PvP. I built the entire format using players feedback and when I threw in the towel becaue I was tired of the children here, did they continue to PvP? no, because what I saw, was people pretending to be interested in PvP

At least we don t pretend to "quit" the game every dam 3 months.

You get all our thanks for trying but you did throw the towel and made a tantrum yourself.

You were the chosen one Anakin!, you really did a good work and tried your best.

We all had hope with your streamer status it could had worked on the long run but you just left after the first sign of conflict.

From a pvper to another pvpers it seems we all are children after all.

I understand with A-holes like us it is hard to do something be we all were motivated hence the arguments and fights over balance and rules. You just left without explanation really.

Could have decided your own rule in the end even, say "fuck you I am the boss". Instead decided to choose the easiest way and just leave.

And this is not true we stopped pvping. We all are playing more or less during league seasons, doing matches in pvp... not in ethical tho .

You are more than welcome to comeback again and show who s the real pvper around, take us by the balls and squish.

Forum pvp
Last edited by lolozori on Nov 30, 2019, 1:33:00 PM
Yea, I don't know why you're acting like we're to blame. If we had it our way when GGG flew Greendude out to discuss PVP, we'd have kept it all about HLD, and LLD would never have been a thing, and we'd all most likely be fine.

You can't say we're all "pretending" to be into PVP when most of us here are from the 1.0 eras, pre-Ascendancy, pre-crafting, all of that. The pretenders are the people who rode in on the coattails of Ascendancy classes like the Pathfinder and the Inquisitor (when Inevitable Judgement worked against players). If there's anyone who doesn't PVP as much anymore, it's because some of us are tired of actually putting in the effort to play when some smooth-brained joeblow69 can just roll some 35c build he copied from some dipshit streamer and feels like he can compete because of the power creep.

Don't start in with us and act like we're the problem, dude.
Lavender or Leave.
PvPresident, 2016
//
You'd better run.
“EA is fine” -relith

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info