Dear Chris, thanks for that almost killing joke! :)

For possible context, my position on the (Soft Core) Death Penalty is that it should remain, but that it is somewhat over-tuned at higher Character Levels. Also, I have not listened to the Quin69 Interview and so I am thus relying on the quote in the original post.

At face value, I give the quote a pretty low score on the "truthiness" scale. Perhaps if Chris was word smithing, then yes, at that particular instant in time, it is likely that no one was complaining {in a particular arena} about the Death Penalty. Hopefully it has not come to that.

I used to jump into the Death Penalty debate, but not so much anymore (from a "it is settled Law and it is pointless to object" perspective rather than the "the Devs should reply to my every post" perspective). The comment attributed to Chris only serves to reinforce my opinion that resistance is futile (the Powers that matter are not even aware of any opposition to the status quo).

One of my issues with the Death Penalty discussion is that because the effects vary by Player, we can see Players who are affected by the Death Penalty for a matter of hours at League Start lecturing other Players who may be affected for the whole League. Both are entitled to their opinions, but the reality on the ground of the one group is not that of the other. And as a plug for my opinion, I think that it is actually the Players that are materially affected by the Death Penalty to whom GGG should be paying heed (heed does not mean adopting their "solutions", many of which are not fully thought out).

And while I have keyboard in hand, I will add my opinion regarding a couple of the "many ways" one has to mitigate the Death Penalty theme.

One can get "cynical" (in the football/soccer foul sense of the word) by playing in a style that is more effective than "fun".

And one can get "boring" by playing it safe.

I offer that the belief in the "virtue" of these two tactics varies between Players.
Formerly posted under AnExile_onthePath
What Chris said is selffulfulling, because everyone complaining on death penality, either quit or buy it anyway.

Fact is: There are enough ppl left playing and paying.

Anything else is a matter of taste.

However, the death penalty is a lazy copy of the D2 mechanic and nothing special or well done...
Let's explore new playstyles - Play it your own way, not just like the others.
Quality management is one of the most underrated success factors in every business...
it doesnt really matter how valid we think death penalty complaints are or if they are matched/outweighed by death penalty fans, the simple fact is that its one of the most consistently complained about things in the history of the game, to the point where theyve even lowered the death penalty in the past due to the weight of criticism.

its impossible to deny that is the reality regardless of our personal opinions on the issue.
If you don't like being penalized for death, go play Cookie Clicker or something.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2678543

More and more people are complaining if more and more are complaining....as a chain effect should work...that's cause it's true...the exp penalty on death is currently very very troll feature.

FIX -> lose 10% of exp u have gained at the moment of death (not of the entire 100% exp u dont have yet) EZ
🎥 Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/unga___bunga
🟢 SC League Thread - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2576251
🟢 STD SC PoG SHOP - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2936410
🔴 Ribs - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9OJed57srnoXRP46QRznSw
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
it doesnt really matter how valid we think death penalty complaints are or if they are matched/outweighed by death penalty fans, the simple fact is that its one of the most consistently complained about things in the history of the game, to the point where theyve even lowered the death penalty in the past due to the weight of criticism.

its impossible to deny that is the reality regardless of our personal opinions on the issue.

And another fact is that they refrained from making it even lower because people complained about that too. Right now the existance of death Penalty might be one of the most complained about things in the game. But guess what, if they removed it then the lack of a death penalty would just take it's place. Seeing it from GGGs perspective this is a losing game, no matter what they do, someone is going to complain about it so they just do nothing.
"
Schmockla wrote:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2678543

More and more people are complaining if more and more are complaining....as a chain effect should work...that's cause it's true...the exp penalty on death is currently very very troll feature.

FIX -> lose 10% of exp u have gained at the moment of death (not of the entire 100% exp u dont have yet) EZ

theres nothing to be fixed, as has been said multiple times in this thread, they tried to change the xp penalty from 15% to 5% and the vast majority of the reaction to that news was outrage from people who wanted the death penalty to stay at 15%, so they compromised and set the penalty to 10%. thats why a vocal minority of people complaining about the penalty being 10% essentially gets noted and pushed aside, they are aware how you feel and aware that more people feel the penalty should stay, the current penalty figure is already a 'meet in the middle' solution to this topic being addressed in the past.
Greetings,

I love the game. I would like the death penalty be removed, but I will not quit the game because of the death penalty. POE is by far the best ARPG game on the market right now and will probably be the best for the next 3-4 years. The dev team is quite nice and when they mess up, they own it (Compared to other companies that simply shove it under the rug). POE is a 6-7 years old game with the same fresh passion and innovation that was D2 at its beginning.

Thank you
Deathless xp streak is a more attractive and emotionally rewarding mechanic.

With xp streaks reward, the people are more likely to mix up their builds and take risks after a death. And if the build is doing really well then they will hesitate to change it or they'll lose that streak.

Where as with death penalty, it punishes people for mixing up a build and trying out new things late game. Like people just don't try content unless they are using a guaranteed success streamer approved build.
Last edited by Redfeather_1975 on Nov 18, 2019, 5:54:41 PM
as much as i hate it myself, the death penalty is a neccessary evil to make the game work.

no pain, no gain.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info