LAB 4.0 - I hear its gone.

"
BlaqWolf wrote:
For the current acendancies you still have to dick with the current stupid as F* mechanic.
So, to unlock the new ones, expect a similarly stupid, annoying method.
This is *VERY* possible, maybe even probable.

GGG has a few patterns that could lead them in a less functional direction. First, looking back, it seems like GGG decided to put a stake in the ground on making prestige classes something people had to overcome memorable challenges to obtain. Plus, GGG has a pattern of making things complicated, even when simpler would do just fine; look at nets, synthesizing items and maps in that league, syndicate, and any number of other things pushed into the game if you doubt that. Look at lab itself, for that matter. They're also very fond of inserting mini-games into POE.

Add it all up and we could end up with the following ...

New prestige classes are gained through another tacked-on mini-game, instead of being part of the main game, with specialized knowledge not applicable to the rest of the game being important to attaining prestige classes. The ties to lore and world-building end up being weak, which makes the experience non-immersive for many. The process is highly complicated. which ends up boring and annoying a lot of players.

Given GGG's past record, if either ego (We *MUST* make prestige classes a memorably difficult experience for players!) or organizational inertia take hold, then the odds are nontrivial that we'll just end up exchanging one tacked-on, boring, and annoying mini-game for another.

It's also very possible that all this ends up looking pretty silly because GGG puts together a knocks-our-socks-off-it's-so-enjoyable process for obtaining prestige classes.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Nov 21, 2019, 9:54:43 AM
While I’m not a big fan of lab runs, I don’t think they should take it out entirely. But it shouldn’t be a forced requirement for something so essential to completing your character.

What annoys me most is the log out and you auto reset. Considering that the game has random disconnects and stability issues, it can be so frustrating and annoying as hell to have to start all over again just because the game kicked you out for some reason.
I miss pre-3.0 lab. It's like comparing stupid beasts during a league and stupid beasts nowadays. In theory you still hunt stupid beasts but in reality stupid beasts now doesn't make any sense at all.
ohhhhh the weary travels closes to the end of the path. POGGGGG

Dude, honestly, I'll miss Izaro. And Argus. :(

I'm not a lab fan, but doing the trials, doing the lab normal/cruel/merc/uber somehow its a big pleasure to me. Specially at league starts. It's like a mission you know. So, i dunno.. I kinda like it. :D
My end, it justifies my means,
All I ever do is delay,
My every attempt to evade,
The end of the road
And my end....
Last edited by imLuCaSsS on Nov 22, 2019, 1:01:31 AM
I like lab, but I HATED it for POE, I always felt like it was ill fit. It also forced certain builds over others with great benefit.
You know it takes to farm? It takes BRASS BALLS to farm items and currency. Go and do likewise gents. Currency is out there. You pick it up, it's yours. You don't, I got no sympathy for you.
A.B.F. --- Always Be Farming
"
beaniac wrote:
It sounds like they will be keeping it around for people who want to farm enchantments, but it sounds like ascendencies will have a new system sometime between now and PoE2.

I know a lot of people didn't like being forced into it, but I always thought it was a cool bit of alternate style content. I'd be bummed if they removed it entirely (I know I'm weird).

I don't mind lab, but I can see how some people might have issues with it.

It's overdue for some reality checking. Losing connection in the lab sucks, but it's one of the only instances that doesn't somehow save your progress. Cue jokes about what happens if you have to use the washroom while running lab (you poop in a corner and blame it on Argus).

It also punishes people whose builds don't get their defining strengths until level 60 or so. In a perfect world, you would need to solo the labs and your character would have to improvise with some other skillset until you earned your way up. But this isn't a perfect world, so the lab remains an awkward and proxyable test of your motor skills and problem solving capacity.

Farming enchantments is perhaps the most soul-rotting and unrewarding experience and that, by itself, should be improved.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
"
imLuCaSsS wrote:

I'm not a lab fan, but doing the trials, doing the lab normal/cruel/merc/uber somehow its a big pleasure to me. Specially at league starts. It's like a mission you know. So, i dunno.. I kinda like it. :D

me too :(

Also all the quotes and voice line of Izaro are marvelous!!
We should have a book with all of them!!

something found around the web:

"An aspirant can afford to be promising. An emperor must keep those promises."

"Wisdom is the offspring of Suffering and Time."

"Slowness lends strength to one's enemies."

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear."

"To entertain doubt is to dance with death."

"The last emperor is always the worst."

"The throne is the most devious trap of them all."

"By the goddess, what ambition."

"Pity the emperor who sits alone on his throne."

"An emperor must know precisely where he stands."

"
ThoryX wrote:
"
imLuCaSsS wrote:

me too :(

Also all the quotes and voice line of Izaro are marvelous!!
We should have a book with all of them!!

something found around the web:

"An aspirant can afford to be promising. An emperor must keep those promises."

"Wisdom is the offspring of Suffering and Time."

"Slowness lends strength to one's enemies."

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear."

"To entertain doubt is to dance with death."

"The last emperor is always the worst."

"The throne is the most devious trap of them all."

"By the goddess, what ambition."

"Pity the emperor who sits alone on his throne."

"An emperor must know precisely where he stands."

Well, it's a good thing we'll be getting a book with them in the new core supporter packs lol.
Souls along a conduit of blood, from one vessel to the next.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info