LAB 4.0 - I hear its gone.

I hope I'll be able to skip Lab to get my Ascendency ! They can leave enchants there, I don't care.
Hands down the best thing i heard after the update to the engine, is that the new ascendancies (at least if not all) will not be connected to the lab. HOORAY.

Its not going away though and thats good cause it serves some purpose for item customization plus diversity of content even if not fitting to poe.
Inundated with cockroaches, I am

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216 - labyrinth rework ideas/suggestions
Gaining prestige classes in an *RPG would ideally be something about which players consistently rave because the process is immersive, it's a lot of fun, and it makes sense in terms of the world building and the lore. All three of these things *can* work together to create a truly exceptional experience for players. Lab has always fallen short in all three ways for so many players, and so it's good if prestige classes finally leave lab.

That said, I'm adopting a "wait and see" approach for whatever might come next. It will probably be better because GGG has a history of taking player feedback into consideration. Still, it seems like a given that GGG will make quite a few mistakes this time around, just like last time. Hopefully mistakes made this time around will be easier to fix so players won't need to wait several years before key changes are brought to fruition.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Nov 16, 2019, 8:39:27 AM
The way I understand it:

Lab still exists for the original ascendancies.

"New System" will be for the 19 ascendancies that are being released.

However they also said that both of these are account wide unlocks, which means that once you have unlocked an ascendancy class once in the corresponding system then you can pick that ascendancy class in EITHER system for any future characters created on that account.

They referenced scion when talking about this which means the unlocks would exist across leagues too.

I also wouldn't celebrate just yet, the lab was meant to make getting your ascendancy points a challenge. I would not be surprised even the slightest bit if the "New system" was essentially the lab but with different tilesets, story, traps, rewards and bosses.

I quietly laugh at everyone laboring under the conclusion that this announcement points towards them getting their ascendancies without some kind of challenge.
Souls along a conduit of blood, from one vessel to the next.
Last edited by Zionyaru on Nov 16, 2019, 8:54:05 AM
"
Zionyaru wrote:
...I quietly laugh at everyone laboring under the conclusion that this announcement points towards them getting their ascendancies without some kind of challenge.
You're pointing at a straw man to suggest that's a widely held hope.

Therein lies a key issue, though, which is what kind of challenge it might be.

In the first iteration GGG convinced themselves that attaining prestige classes had to be a challenge. Which is fine. But, perhaps they didn't have confidence that the main game would reliably provide a challenge and they ultimately settled on a mini-game instead. The lore ended up being nonsense and players needed to work on their platform gaming skills to define their ARPG characters, which for many players has been an underwhelming experience.

It's an open question as to how much GGG learned from their first iteration on designing a process for attaining prestige classes.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Nov 16, 2019, 9:09:43 AM
"
"
Zionyaru wrote:
...I quietly laugh at everyone laboring under the conclusion that this announcement points towards them getting their ascendancies without some kind of challenge.

In the first iteration GGG convinced themselves that attaining prestige classes had to be a challenge. Which is fine. But, perhaps they didn't have confidence that the main game would reliably provide a challenge and they ultimately settled on a mini-game instead. The lore ended up being nonsense and players needed to work on their platform gaming skills to define their ARPG characters, which for many players has been an underwhelming experience.

It's an open question as to how much GGG learned from their first iteration on setting up a process for attain prestige classes.

I suppose.

It makes no difference to me either way, I always saw the lab as a rite of passage in testing the mettle of my builds, and one of the only parts of the act 1 - 10 process that I actually looked forward to so i'm certainly the black sheep here.

But if I can get my ascendancy points essentially for free, and by extension reach maps faster, that's also fine by me.

My armchair logic just leads me to believe that GGG will err towards the challenge side for the new system rather than the freebie side.

Time will tell.
Careful folks... it could be worse.
"
Zionyaru wrote:
"
"
Zionyaru wrote:

It's an open question as to how much GGG learned from their first iteration on setting up a process for attain prestige classes.

I suppose.

It makes no difference to me either way, I always saw the lab as a rite of passage in testing the mettle of my builds, and one of the only parts of the act 1 - 10 process that I actually looked forward to so i'm certainly the black sheep here.

But if I can get my ascendancy points essentially for free, and by extension reach maps faster, that's also fine by me.

My armchair logic just leads me to believe that GGG will err towards the challenge side for the new system rather than the freebie side.

Time will tell.
I wouldn't consider it an error if attaining prestige classes is challenging. Even highly challenging would be fine by me. I wouldn't consider it an error if it's basically handed out, either. You can see both kinds of models followed in a number of great games over the years.

My main hope is that we get to define our characters in a way that's part of the main game so the process makes more sense in terms of world building and lore. If there is challenge involved then hopefully it calls upon the same skills as the rest of the game, and not a skill set meant for other types of games, as that helps the process to feel more immersive, to feel less foreign.
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Nov 16, 2019, 9:26:02 AM
"
I wouldn't consider it an error if attaining prestige classes is challenging. I wouldn't consider it an error if it's basically handed out, either. You can see both models followed in a number of great games over the years.

My main hope is that we get to define our characters in a way that's part of the main game so the process makes more sense in terms of world building and lore. If there is challenge involved then hopefully it calls upon the same skills as the rest of the game, and not a skill set meant for other types of games, as that helps to make the process be more immersive, to feel less foreign.

I absolutely agree that this is a golden opportunity for them to make ascending feel more like a part of the story rather than something just tacked on over the top.

Can't blame them too much for the original implementation though, as the ascendacy expansion itself was in fact just tacked on over the top of the game.

I disagree that it needs to be exactly the same skillset as the rest of the game though. Delve is a good example of how entirely different gameplay can be well recieved.

Once again i'm well aware that i'm the minority who enjoys lab runs rather than the majority, and that the system itself is not without flaws. But my original point was more pointing at the concept that ascendancies will still likely contain a comparable challenge to attain them (Otherwise why keep both systems). And that the way I predict them to implement a parallel challenge is to follow the current formula.

I'll say it again. Time will tell.
"
Zionyaru wrote:

I absolutely agree that this is a golden opportunity for them to make ascending feel more like a part of the story rather than something just tacked on over the top.

Can't blame them too much for the original implementation though, as the ascendacy expansion itself was in fact just tacked on over the top of the game.

I disagree that it needs to be exactly the same skillset as the rest of the game though. Delve is a good example of how entirely different gameplay can be well recieved.

Once again i'm well aware that i'm the minority who enjoys lab runs rather than the majority, and that the system itself is not without flaws. But my original point was more pointing at the concept that ascendancies will still likely contain a comparable challenge to attain them (Otherwise why keep both systems). And that the way I predict them to implement a parallel challenge is to follow the current formula.

I'll say it again. Time will tell.
Point taken. And, I'm in the "wait and see" camp as well.

FWIW, I like delve quite a bit. It provides a nice change of pace when running maps.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info