China's Gaming Curfew - Tencent main enforcement

"
j33bus wrote:
Well for time determinations, China only has a single time zone, so they don't need to track where you are.

I meant for accumulation (90 minutes per day)

Is it account based? IP based/Home location? Will you need a "timecard" to play at an internet cafe? At 10pm are they checking ID's and tossing people out?

The logistics seem like a nightmare.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
Boem wrote:
No it's not.

Not a single studdy has found a mental disorder derived from excesive video gaming.

On the contrary, people with an introvert personality type actually perform better socially because of online communication.

Don't propagate things you didn't look into please, it's quite stupid. It's with that mentality that we get the WHO addopting "video game adiction" as a medical disorder to "treat" and put kids on pills without any evidence for it.

Similar to how boys are being treated for "adhd" and given ritaline which stunts their brain development in todays age instead of just giving them rough rudimentary physical excercise.

Next generation are going to have to deal with some messed up children because of all these controle freak parents and social structures.

Peace,

-Boem-

thats because addition has nothing to do with mental disorders.

addition can have to do with your mentality, but not every negative thing to do with the mind is a defined "mental disorder".
you also don't need to have a mental disorder in order to have an addition. they are separate things.

people misunderstand addition so much. maybe its because the world constantly tries to correlate everything to chemicals and chemical reactions so they can justify "regulating" said chemicals with medications.
"
xMustard wrote:
"
Boem wrote:
No it's not.

Not a single studdy has found a mental disorder derived from excesive video gaming.

On the contrary, people with an introvert personality type actually perform better socially because of online communication.

Don't propagate things you didn't look into please, it's quite stupid. It's with that mentality that we get the WHO addopting "video game adiction" as a medical disorder to "treat" and put kids on pills without any evidence for it.

Similar to how boys are being treated for "adhd" and given ritaline which stunts their brain development in todays age instead of just giving them rough rudimentary physical excercise.

Next generation are going to have to deal with some messed up children because of all these controle freak parents and social structures.

Peace,

-Boem-

thats because addition has nothing to do with mental disorders.

addition can have to do with your mentality, but not every negative thing to do with the mind is a defined "mental disorder".
you also don't need to have a mental disorder in order to have an addition. they are separate things.

people misunderstand addition so much. maybe its because the world constantly tries to correlate everything to chemicals and chemical reactions so they can justify "regulating" said chemicals with medications.

Did you mean adiction instead of adition?

Your post makes little sense to me otherwise sorry.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Boem wrote:

Just to make it clear, my "correlation" between one child policy and the current events is about as scientific as the current suggestion that gaming is harmfull.

It's "reading a conclusion into it", forming a conclusion and then formulating hypothesis that support it. It's the complete opposite of the scientific method.(i used "novel idea" as a "just as good explenation as addiction currently)

As far as my personal believes, i believe in a liberal society which means that people are free to destroy their own lives by the methods of their choosing, as long as it does not dirrectly infringe on other people to do so.

So a law against drunk driving is perfectly acceptable since it hinders the freedom of third parties.

A law that dictates you need to wear seatbelts however is not acceptable in my view.

That's the state forcing you into a choice that has nothing to do with third parties freedom.(and consequentially forcing company's)

Peace,

-Boem-

Would you consider "society" as a 3rd party being impacted by personal choices?

You bring up seatbelts, which is an interesting choice. The main reason seatbelts (or motorcycle helmet) laws are in place is due to economic impacts. Should insurance rates, both medical and auto be higher for everyone due to personal choice? If you are significantly injured (disability), should we have to pay taxes to support you the rest of your life?

I for one dont want a heroin dispensary on one side of my local CVS, with a brothel on the other. Fortunately my community gets a vote on stuff like this (bars, strip clubs, ect), but not everyone has that luxury, and seemingly group voting goes against your personal freedom theory?

Listen I dont want the govt to tell me that sugary drinks are bad for me, and thus illegal, in some sort of Demolition Man Dystopia, but I certainly dont have the faith in Humanity to let personal freedom run wild either.

I dont want to subsidise your unhealthy diabetic, overweight, lifestyle, while I'm at the gym. This stuff pisses me off. Or why should I pay for your 7 kids to go to public school? Or have my medical insurance rates be higher due to other "personal choices".

I'm not saying China is the answer, obviously that's absurd, but we do as a society, have to set some limits.

I think the goverment has two roles, national defense and the aplication of the law.(public enforcement and judiciary)

Everything else should be personal liberty.

I think a baseline tax of around 5% should be enough to maintain a goverment required to perform those tasks.

also what economic impacts are you talking about exactly, because we would have to correlate that potential cost with the current cost of every car dealer being mandated to produce cars with seatbelts in them. We already pay a cost, people simply take it for granted and dont notice it.

And yes insurance would be dependant on your personal risk factors, thats how they normally functioned before goverment regulators came in and forced guidelines on them making them no longer statistically profitable and forcing them to adopt the highest target price for all customers irrelevant of individual factors.

Peace,

-Boem-
Tencent already has mechanisms in place to verify Chinese gamers' identities, ages, gaming habits, spending patterns, and so on. That largely came about as a result of China's total ban on new game releases, and from what I understand their system formed the base model for what will now be required for all gamers and gaming companies nationwide.

It's not a 100% foolproof system, as it's not overly difficult to do things like buy/rent a Chinese ID illegally. But it's been largely effective in building up a massive amount of information as to who gamers are, what they do, how/where they do it, and for how long.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
"
Boem wrote:

also what economic impacts are you talking about exactly, because we would have to correlate that potential cost with the current cost of every car

The costs would be:

1. Car price (small and already absorbed mostly)
2. Auto insurance
3. Health Insurance & Medical Costs
4. Taxes though Medicare (disability)
5. Litigation cost in serious or fatal accidents (associated criminal charges & penalties)

Or why do you think seatbelt laws exist to begin with is a better question?

And yes we have launched into a serious tangent lol
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Boem wrote:

also what economic impacts are you talking about exactly, because we would have to correlate that potential cost with the current cost of every car

The costs would be:

1. Car price (small and already absorbed mostly)
2. Auto insurance
3. Health Insurance & Medical Costs
4. Taxes though Medicare (disability)
5. Litigation cost in serious or fatal accidents (associated criminal charges & penalties)

Or why do you think seatbelt laws exist to begin with is a better question?

And yes we have launched into a serious tangent lol

The only cost in that would be 5 for "the people".

All of those other cost's would be on the individual.

Like i said, the only tax required would be for the army and public law enforcement in a smal goverment high liberty society.
That means people could utilize the surplus they now pay taxes with in whatever fashion they individualy want.(insurances etc)

I don't really see your point where you would have to pay for others appart for maintaining the enforcement of the law which your also a benefactor of.

And my point is liberty of the individual, that doesn't imply people wouldn't use seatbelts or buy cars without them, it simply means its up to the people and not the goverment to regulate their own lives.

If people want to be stupid in all kinds of ways for example, i believe its their life to live and as long as they don't infringe on others im fine with that. I don't believe in a "big daddy keep me safe" goverment form since it continiously expands and eats liberty's in return for "safety".

Goverment currently takes money from people and then distributes it to the most convincing fragment of the population. So my point is simple, stop taking a lot of money from people and let them distribute it themselves.
I use the word convincing because it's a broad term, because many factors come into play here and i dont wanna get into that.

Like you said, tangent enough already.

Peace,

-Boem-
I don't believe in video game addiction either. Nowadays any habit taken to what is considered unhealthy extremes is called an addiction.

Btw, whoever said China has just one time zone needs an atlas. It is a HUGE country. I want to say 4 or 5 time zones there.
Censored.
"
kolyaboo wrote:
I don't believe in video game addiction either. Nowadays any habit taken to what is considered unhealthy extremes is called an addiction.

Btw, whoever said China has just one time zone needs an atlas. It is a HUGE country. I want to say 4 or 5 time zones there.

China is huge, but it does indeed only have 1 time zone--UTC +8. I'm in Taiwan, we are +8 also...as is a big chunk of south asia, and part of Australia too I believe.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
Last edited by aggromagnet on Nov 6, 2019, 4:56:18 PM
"
kolyaboo wrote:
I don't believe in video game addiction either

I mean this does get tricky in the science area, as it was touched on briefly.

Obviously you can have a chemical addiction. This is proven factual and not debatable.

Now when the body releases it's own chemicals, is that that the same standard? Like Dopamine, serotonin, norepinephrine?
If so then activities that are triggers could technically fall inder this category? No?

This is totally separate form OCD or directly related mental health issues. I dont think that is what we are talking about.

Can you be addicted to food? Your phone? Sex? Exercise? Gambling? Games? That is the question.

Me personally I've never been addicted to anything, chemical or not. But can I say its impossible for others?
- Abraham Lincoln

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info