It's almost 2020(Now its actually 2020) - Lets have Male and Female versions of all classes.

"

Anywho im not sure what GGG payed for the voices used in their game or if they even hired actual voice-actors or not but its not nearly as freaking expensive as many of the users in this thread think especially when GGG is selling off stock for millions its barely a noticeable blip in their radar unless they are hiring high end voice talents that are at a high price like destiny 2 which has a lot of famous voice-actors and actors in general.

You are right and also totally wrong.

Yes voice actors arent that expensive, true.
That said: You need more than that. Story-Writers, studio time to record everything, someone has to implement it and check it. Also scheduling is a nightmare, because several individuals as well as companies will be involved and its unlikely any of this stuff is happening in NZ, so it will be tougher to organize than it usually would be.
Thats not super expensive either, but its by no means limited to voice-actors.

And no GGG isnt rich, because GGG never sold stock to anyone. The 3 founders did, not the company. Unless these 3 individuals just gave their money to GGG the company didnt make money off selling stock, not even 1 kiwi-cent.

Cheers
"

ESO, Destiny 2, there's more but as some of POE's direct competitors they do quite well at both PVE and PVP and there's plenty more where that came from.

Both are based on franchises where character customization is a core feature. ESO is based on the Elder Scroll universe and every single game in recent memory has an in depth character editor. Destiny two is in the same boat. Both are also based on pre existing franchises with deep pockets. Poe only got Tencent money a year ago and has a metric butt-ton of other updates they need to burn through to catch up.

"

Do you have any idea how much voice acting actually costs? Its quite reasonable unless you want a popular actor, Also POE 2 wont cost us anything and is gonna be voiced isn't it?

Then again WITH POE2 i sadly cannot argue against the cost so much now as rather than double the voice-actor-time its potentially 4x the amount of work than when i started this thread.

First things are relative. If your game is a dialogue heavy experience, then voice actors will be expensive no matter what name they have (besides the idea of the super star actor is kinda dying in this day and age .. the brand is worth more.)

Moving on it boils down to a matter of priorities. As I said before Poe only got Tencent money last year and they only have so many developers. they need to spend their resources prudently on things they know will have good value on the investment.

And the fact the of the matter is again.. unlike actual mmos the characters themselves are not that important. they simply aren't. At the very best having different sexes is a nice too have.. but skin and hair customization in a game where it is hidden is just a needless feature.

"

Ahh wondered why that name was lost on me, the witcher main character? I've never played the witcher or know enough to comment on it but its singleplayer entirely yea? I don't consider POE at all the same as a game like that.

You don't need too to understand the point. That being that GGG technically has gone on record saying that the characters are not simply avatars but actual people with personalities (much like geralt) and people simply behave differently based on what sexy they are. they may not have well defined personalities due to the sparse dialogue in the game but there is enough that it would probably need to be rewritten to either be personalized to the sex or sex agnostic to feel correct in the world they have made.

A good example of this would be the dialogue between gravicious and the ranger in act 3 in which he basically calls her a littler girl. This only really works when you understand what exactly her character is. (which was kinda lost because ggg changed the character intro a while back and we lost some of the flavour).

It may not cost alot of money or it may. Either way it would cost resources for an ultimately very optional change. Thus it is perfectly reasonable for it to be an optional mtx that is there for people who want it.

"

I see where pretty much every person in this thread is coming from on both sides and i don't disagree with most of it but as someone who has been not well off in life i have not had a lot of money to buy support packs and other things very often so actually i'd spend quite a lot of time looking at my basic character even if i did have equipment on it rarely covers most of my character to the point i cant see numerous details across most of the body during my playtime.. Now i do play in a very zoomed out state because of my resolution but those who play fullscreen this is much more apparent.

This i feel is partially because the base armor in the game was mostly made 6 years ago and is incredibly archaic. It is .. bad .. and I would argue is something they should have addressed far sooner than anything else. None the less even when i rush through my first char in a league (which i do with out mtx usually) I am mostly covered head to toe in buckets and pieces of drift wood by the end of act 1.

I am not saying what you are saying does not exist. it does. Only that it is a rather small part.

"

POE might want to be solely classified as an ARPG but sadly it cannot so long as it fulfills the requirements of an MMORPG, It has a massive userbase that plays online exclusively which can play together in all content and it is an RPG = Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

Hideouts are the real means of expression in this game? Yeah only for a percentage of the userbase.. Everyone expresses themselves in their own way some through their character or hideout and some through other things like their achievements and prowess.

I actually mostly play with others outside of endgame leveling which i like to play safe with 95+ and in the older days of this game before things got really out of control i almost never played by myself EVER unless i was just kicking rocks in fellshrine ruins.

Its less about ogling the character and more about feeling a connection with it and on some of my playthroughs with the witch i certainly feel as connected to her as a male could while playing this game but on others i feel like everything is wrong, For some people ogling their character is a bigger deal to them than feeling that connection like I'm lookin for.

But you can make this same statement about pretty much any multiplayer game.

Hell I get more of what you just described while playing Path of diablo ( a poe inspired mod for diablo 2) Or Apex legends than I do path of exile.

neither are mmos.

"

On voice actors.. Most voice actors worth their salt can take on a lot of roles or at least more than one, A voice actor that can not do this imo is not qualified to be called a voice actor.. By no means do i wish to discount these peoples talent who do not take on a lot of roles.

These individuals come in varied forms such as:

Voice-over

Voice-over talent or voice talent

Voice-over performer

Voice-over artist

Voice actor <- what they need and 100% should be able to perform multiple characters.

And you need to pay them for each character. Sure you might get a better deal convincing VA to voice more than one character.. but at the end of the day you would be paying for hours in a sound booth regardless of whos bum is sitting in it.
"

ESO, Destiny 2, there's more but as some of POE's direct competitors they do quite well at both PVE and PVP and there's plenty more where that came from.

Both are based on franchises where character customization is a core feature. ESO is based on the Elder Scroll universe and every single game in recent memory has an in depth character editor. Destiny two is in the same boat. Both are also based on pre existing franchises with deep pockets. Poe only got Tencent money a year ago and has a metric butt-ton of other updates they need to burn through to catch up.

"

Do you have any idea how much voice acting actually costs? Its quite reasonable unless you want a popular actor, Also POE 2 wont cost us anything and is gonna be voiced isn't it?

Then again WITH POE2 i sadly cannot argue against the cost so much now as rather than double the voice-actor-time its potentially 4x the amount of work than when i started this thread.

First things are relative. If your game is a dialogue heavy experience, then voice actors will be expensive no matter what name they have (besides the idea of the super star actor is kinda dying in this day and age .. the brand is worth more.)

Moving on it boils down to a matter of priorities. As I said before Poe only got Tencent money last year and they only have so many developers. they need to spend their resources prudently on things they know will have good value on the investment.

And the fact the of the matter is again.. unlike actual mmos the characters themselves are not that important. they simply aren't. At the very best having different sexes is a nice too have.. but skin and hair customization in a game where it is hidden is just a needless feature.

"

Ahh wondered why that name was lost on me, the witcher main character? I've never played the witcher or know enough to comment on it but its singleplayer entirely yea? I don't consider POE at all the same as a game like that.

You don't need too to understand the point. That being that GGG technically has gone on record saying that the characters are not simply avatars but actual people with personalities (much like geralt) and people simply behave differently based on what sex they are. they may not have well defined personalities due to the sparse dialogue in the game but there is enough that it would probably need to be rewritten to either be personalized to the sex or sex agnostic to feel correct in the world they have made.

A good example of this would be the dialogue between gravicious and the ranger in act 3 in which he basically calls her a littler girl. This only really works when you understand what exactly her character is. (which was kinda lost because ggg changed the character intro a while back and we lost some of the flavour).

It may not cost alot of money or it may. Either way it would cost resources for an ultimately very optional change. Thus it is perfectly reasonable for it to be an optional mtx that is there for people who want it.

"

I see where pretty much every person in this thread is coming from on both sides and i don't disagree with most of it but as someone who has been not well off in life i have not had a lot of money to buy support packs and other things very often so actually i'd spend quite a lot of time looking at my basic character even if i did have equipment on it rarely covers most of my character to the point i cant see numerous details across most of the body during my playtime.. Now i do play in a very zoomed out state because of my resolution but those who play fullscreen this is much more apparent.

This i feel is partially because the base armor in the game was mostly made 6 years ago and is incredibly archaic. It is .. bad .. and I would argue is something they should have addressed far sooner than anything else. None the less even when i rush through my first char in a league (which i do with out mtx usually) I am mostly covered head to toe in buckets and pieces of drift wood by the end of act 1.

I am not saying what you are saying does not exist. it does. Only that it is a rather small part.

"

POE might want to be solely classified as an ARPG but sadly it cannot so long as it fulfills the requirements of an MMORPG, It has a massive userbase that plays online exclusively which can play together in all content and it is an RPG = Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

Hideouts are the real means of expression in this game? Yeah only for a percentage of the userbase.. Everyone expresses themselves in their own way some through their character or hideout and some through other things like their achievements and prowess.

I actually mostly play with others outside of endgame leveling which i like to play safe with 95+ and in the older days of this game before things got really out of control i almost never played by myself EVER unless i was just kicking rocks in fellshrine ruins.

Its less about ogling the character and more about feeling a connection with it and on some of my playthroughs with the witch i certainly feel as connected to her as a male could while playing this game but on others i feel like everything is wrong, For some people ogling their character is a bigger deal to them than feeling that connection like I'm lookin for.

But you can make this same statement about pretty much any multiplayer game.

Hell I get more of what you just described while playing Path of diablo ( a poe inspired mod for diablo 2) Or Apex legends than I do path of exile.

neither are mmos.

"

On voice actors.. Most voice actors worth their salt can take on a lot of roles or at least more than one, A voice actor that can not do this imo is not qualified to be called a voice actor.. By no means do i wish to discount these peoples talent who do not take on a lot of roles.

These individuals come in varied forms such as:

Voice-over

Voice-over talent or voice talent

Voice-over performer

Voice-over artist

Voice actor <- what they need and 100% should be able to perform multiple characters.

And you need to pay them for each character. Sure you might get a better deal convincing VA to voice more than one character.. but at the end of the day you would be paying for hours in a sound booth regardless of whos bum is sitting in it.
Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Nov 21, 2019, 8:04:13 AM
Last edited by BrownTown86 on Nov 21, 2019, 10:24:14 AM
"
Orbaal wrote:
Also scheduling is a nightmare, because several individuals as well as companies will be involved and its unlikely any of this stuff is happening in NZ, so it will be tougher to organize than it usually would be.

Oh please, you're not organizing a party between old high-school friends on your free time, there are people who take care of managing those kind of things, it's their job, it isn't a "scheduling nightmare".
This is as valid of an excuse as "it costs so much money !" imo.

"
Saltychipmunk wrote:

Because you think that they were an indie studio until Tencent bought them ???

Oh come on ! :/
GGG has been quite big for quite some time already, and story writers/level designers are not where the big problems of the game are atm on top of that.

I would agree that with all the shit on the screen and the fact that most of the characters are covered with Mtx and stuff, hair/face customization is far from being a priority though (also skyrim has a very deep facial customization system in a game where you can spend most of your time wearing a helmet and a full armour, not seeing the face anymore at all, on top of that you might just want to be fully zoomed and see the world through your character's eyes, and yet ...)
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
Fruz wrote:
"
Orbaal wrote:
Also scheduling is a nightmare, because several individuals as well as companies will be involved and its unlikely any of this stuff is happening in NZ, so it will be tougher to organize than it usually would be.

Oh please, you're not organizing a party between old high-school friends on your free time, there are people who take care of managing those kind of things, it's their job, it isn't a "scheduling nightmare".
This is as valid of an excuse as "it costs so much money !" imo.

Have you done it in your line of work?
I did, several times. It is a nightmare.
"
Orbaal wrote:

It's your job then.

And if you have managing issues as somebody managing people, well ...

SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Nov 21, 2019, 11:07:37 AM
"
Fruz wrote:
"
Orbaal wrote:

It's your job then.

And if you have managing issues as somebody managing people, well ...

Pfff stop this nonsense pls...

The problem is, if you try to hire like 12 different voice actors, you somehow have to find a timeframe where everyone involved is actually available. These guys arent waiting for your call, they are busy and all them are having their own schedules.

Also you need to book time in a recording studio. You dont do that at home or in your own office, if you want good results.
Who would have guessed: The studio isnt waiting for your call either and has its own schedule as well.
You want to get it done in one session, even if that session takes a week or longer. You never want to do in small bits and pieces, because then you have to organize travelling, hotels and all this nonsense multiple times for ONE recording session.

The only way to do it, is trying to plan ahead for several months and hope noone falls sick or anything like that. This alone could easily ruin the entire recording session and its superhard to reschedule for everyone involved on short notice.

Its not about managing people in your company, your co-workers.
That would be easy, but thats not whats happening.
Might be different for prestigious and big companies. Maybe voice actors and recording studios will drop everything for the glory of working with this prestigious companies. If you are small/medium sized nobody gives a fuck.
You don't need to have it done in one session, unless you are the one moving abroad for the recording in which case it gets easier to find a common 'week' or so for the bunch of voice actors if that's a whole week that you need.

If one person fall ill, you can either find somebody else next time if it's easier, or you might even be able to organize and get the recording done remotely. It's not ideal, but it can be done.

On top of that, GGG can also hire NZ voice actors, it does not have to be only NZ actors but it does not have to be only foreign actors.

Anyway, saying "it's hard to schedule" it's just quite the pitifull excuse, sorry.
People ( including you apparently ) are getting paid for doing this, and it is far from an insurmontable task, nobody said that it was easy, but using that as an excuse for trying to justify not implementing extra character's and their personalities .... :/

Thats how you THINK it works, doesnt mean it does actually work that way.
And how would you know? You have never done it and therefore no clue.

Please stop, it makes me cringe and you look bad.

Have a good one

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info