Melee range and melee acquisition range different?

I've had moments during play where my melee attacks would never make contact with my target, despite having max accuracy for monsters of the same level. It's hard to confirm this on a general basis, but my best confirmation was when I tried to attack a non-shielded labyrinth totem and went for a full five seconds swinging at it without a single hit. My speculation is that this happens because the acquisition range for melee targets is farther out than the actual range of my melee attacks, but I can't really think of a good way to experiment and find if that may be the case.

For reference, I'm swinging with a dagger using Pestilent Strike with Multistrike, Vile Toxins, and Nightblade Support at 13 units range. Movespeed varies, but is about 150%. Network handling is set to Auto, but usually defaults to Lockstep. If there's any other information or tests I could run, please let me know. This is a fairly frustrating phenomenon for me to encounter, especially since enemies tend to not move closer or move away more often than not before I can recognize and adjust for when this issue happens.
Last bumped on Dec 9, 2019, 9:10:07 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Bumping, did some more experimentation. I had noticed the misranging was happening when I approached targets from 'below' more than from the sides or 'above'. It seems like sloped surfaces also play a factor. I can reliably replicate the phenomenon against an Unending Lethargy atop the stairs in the Trial of Piercing Truth. Whether or not the slow plays a factor is unknown, but I have started my attack approach both within the curse aura and outside and had the misrange occur. Weirder yet, if I come from directly below (on the stair seams) I tend to be within reach. I have to do a Ys-style approach up the seam and towards the target for the miss to happen.

EDIT: Or ramps might not matter. It might just be enough to approach a target within those two deadzones on each side of the bottom of a target.
Last edited by Chronomaster on Oct 18, 2019, 9:08:34 PM
Have you taken into account that some monsters can block or dodge attacks, as well as have increased evasion rating?
retired from forum because of censorship and discrimination
I can consistently replicate the issue with a static entity (unshielded totems in the uber trials) until I run out of mana because I'm not hitting, so I think it's beyond that kind of issue. Plus having 100% to hit on evasive monsters at my level and no audio cues alluding to blocks means I'd have to chalk it up to dodges happening every time I sense it, and to have the monsters dodge a long set of attacks without fail.

Dodge is also a really uncommon mod for monsters. The point is there's a deadzone for approaching entities for melee attacks where acquisition doesn't match up with melee range, and it seems kind of awful to encounter just because you came at a monster from the wrong direction.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info