[3.8] The Baron Soul Tether Zombies [HC]

This is my first guide ever , so i’m sorry if anything is unclear
feel free to ask questions in the comments
I know there are alot of build guides around the baron and zombies but this is my take on it , specifically for hardcore.
Intro

iv'e been wanting to attempt uber elder for quite a while now but i always jump around between builds.
this league , my friend tried playing necro dominating blow and he tried with the baron zombies + soul tether and succeeded killing uber elder for the first time in his second attempt ever.
after iv'e seen him kill it live (discord stream) iv'e wanted to try it as well but i've changed a few things such as using cyclone as a way to proc spirit offering.
then we started working on our version for the build together and I wanted to write this guide.
Gameplay

spinning around using cyclone (triggering spirit offering) while your minions destroy everything , every once in a while vigilant strike for fortify and convocation to summon your minions back to ya.
Videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypmhbdOvQKw - uber elder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEk5PwM2qG8 - 19X aul fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCwJsNXgjzs - synthesis boss
it's not from the beginning of the fight , I'll try and record a better vid later.
will upload more videos later

Pros and Cons

Pros -
Super Tanky
around 1M dps
scale very well the more you invest in
spin2win
can do all map mods except phys reflect
Viable league starter (generic summoner till u can get enough STR + baron)
Cons -
requires a few very specific uniques (not ssf viable)
might be considered slow
another summoner...

Mandatory Uniques

getting to 1k str for the leech from the zombies.
this is the base of the build defense wise

Build Concept

this build is for hardcore so iv'e been trying to build the most tanky version i could think of
the build focuses around zombies with the baron helmet

specifically : "2% of damage dealt by your zombies is leeched to you as life"
And to even boost our leech and survivability even further and even get overleech , we will be using Soul Tether

Then because we are necromancer that takes mistress of sacrifice , we will be using Spirit Offering
Spirit Offering

To gain 3% of maximum life as extra ES per corpse cosumed (up to 5 corpses)
but would u want to trigger an offering manually? god no.
this is why we’ll be using :

i currently have 7k life so 3% of that (0.75 x 4) is 210 ES.
so 210 x 5 = 1050 ES per cwc trigger from our cyclone.
actually ingame i'm getting around 1.5k to 2k es per cwc proc so it might be affeceted by #% increased es.
For Damage , we will be using 6L or even 7L (maim chest or rotting legion) zombies and skeletons from “Trigger A socketed Spell when you use a skill” Craft on our weapon for applying maim and feeding frenzy buff and some extra damage.
For Example :

Build

PoB - https://pastebin.com/9H0446g9
my profile is also always open -
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/arielrahamim/characters?character=MushrambosSSF
Bandits - Kill All.
Ascendency -
Leveling

for leveling this build u can do as a generic summoner with SRS / zombies / spectres from act 5 or anything really
could always get leveling gear to make it faster ofc
https://www.poe-vault.com/guides/beginner-guide-to-unique-items-for-leveling-in-path-of-exile-blight-38
from level 38 and after normal lab , u can start using cyclone cwc spirit offering desecrate which would u make u very tanky

Gear

Helmet

Good Enchants are Zombies Attack Speed or Damage , not mandatory at all though.

Belt

Could get %strength corruption , will help with getting 1k str

Gloves

Could get enfeeble/temporal chains on hit corruption or +2 gems for auras.
on my current character , those gloves are around 1.5k es.

Boots

For starters , i would recommend using

try and get 18% strength
try and get a near max roll % strength , the boots will help at the start to get to 1k str
Later on , when u get more STR from other sources you can get boots with “Socketed Gems Are Supported By level 20 Fortify”

By doing that , u can have perma fortify on your cyclone
until then though you can just use vigilant strike with the vigil jewel , more on that in the gems & jewels sections.

Weapon

from the weapon slot , all we really want a rare weapon that we will be able to use cyclone with and "Trigger A socketed gems when you use a skill" suffix craft , the rest is extra.
we will be using the "cast on cast" craft for automating summoning our skeletons , which will deal some damage and apply maim + feeding frenzy.
so , for the rest of the mods on the weapon its all your choice:
resists , life gain on hit claw , or my favorite , a combination of "Socketed Gems Are Supported By level 20 X" Elder mods to buff our skeletons damage.
weapons for example :

they are corrupted because i was trying to get fortify on hit before i got the fortify boots cuz thats way too rare.
another type of weapon you could use is a mutlimodded dagger/sceptre with +1 spell gems and ofc the cast on cast craft.
i'm not using a weapon like that yet so i'll updated the process of crafting and list examples later.

Chest

for the chest piece we have some options.
the first one and my favorite is

we get around 11% less elemental damage , another link to our zombies and some life.
other good choices are Geofrie's Sancutray for a bunch of ES from our strength
or a rare astral plate with %life , flat life , resists and maim but it can get pretty damn expensive.
overall i think rotting legion is the best one , for uber elder at least.

Shield

for shield , we want as much ES as possible pereferably with chance to block spells mod , resists if we are missing any and life.

ofcoure if u can't afford getting an ES one , life resists and the spell block mod is fine as well.

Amulet

a really good amulet we could get is

ton of stats that we are missing and of course more STR.
before that , u could use a rare with some flat strength/dex/int , life , resists , maybe es and preferably %attributes (shaper mod or talisman corruption)
ofc , a godly rare with %attributes talisman corruption will surpass astramentis

Rings

for rings u want at least one with -2/-3 mana cost for channeling skills craft to make our cyclone free
then u want a bunch of strength , a ton of resists , some life and maybe es.
u can get unset rings as the build could always use more skill gems but it is not mandatory and you should first get resist cap and 1k str.

Jewels

Rare Jewels :
flat life or % life
one or two jewels with "Minions Have +X to all elemental resistances"
one jewel with "Minions Leech of damage as life"
one jewel with "mana gained on hit for each enemy hit by your attacks" this is just for no regen maps.
on the rest of the jewels u should get resists or strength if missing any
and some energy shield if possible.
Unique Jewels :
u would wanna asap to get an efficiant training jewel to convert int to STR , u place it between tempalr and witch.
at start u won't have access to fortify boots so i recommend getting The Vigil Jewel and use vigilant strike to around 30 sec Fortify Buff.
a bit higher budget but u can also use purity of ice watcher's eye with the
mod "% of Physical Damage from Hits taken as Cold Damage while affected by Purity of Ice"

Flasks

rumi's is great, a really good defensive option
basalt for some phys dmg reduction
quicksilver with movement speed to help our dodge bossses attacks while cycloning
jade could be replaced for whatever tbh , i only use it for the shock immunity
quartz for some dodge and phasing
at the beginning though you should use an instant life flask

could also use a sapphire flask for uber elder , maybe even taste of hate on a higher budget.

Gems&Links

Zombies

in your chest , you want to use the zombies with the following links :

if u are not using vigilant strike & the vigil for whatever reason , swap in fortify

instead of ruthless

4LSpectres+Animate_Guardian

you could also use minion life instead of meat build i prefer the ag and spectres to be near me at all times.
Spectres :
one host chieftain for power charges
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Host_Chieftain
one carnage chieftain for frenzy charges
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Carnage_Chieftain
and a curse , personal preference i use enfeeble
enfeeble - https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Diabolist
temporal chains - https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Mortality_Experimenter
and if u have a 4th spectre from death attunement , you could also use
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Ruins_Hellion
for rallying cry dmg buff.
For your animate guardian gear u could use the following :

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Dying_Breath
could use a rare helmet with nearby enemies take 9% more phys damage from fossils instead of the leer cast for more damage

Auras

for auras i'm using

if u can afford an enlightne 3 , link the 3 above to it in a 4L and use
in a 1L

Offering

Skeleton

on your weapon togther with "cast on cast" craft u wanna link 3L skeletons :

Utilities

if u got an unset ring or two u could add :

or add
to flame dash

FAQ

Will add Questions from comments

Thank you for reading the guide , i hope you found it useful

if u have any suggestions or questions about the build just let me know.
Last edited by arielrahamim on Oct 16, 2019, 5:24:44 AM
Last bumped on Oct 26, 2019, 12:23:02 AM
Jack pot! How lucky i am to find exactly a build i was looking for to play on HC.
Thank you very much sir, for being here in the time of my need.

And a question: isn't Feeding Frenzy gem linked to zombies is safer than Meat shield? with FF gem zombies aggro faster = we get leech faster.
Last edited by aefoa on Oct 15, 2019, 2:05:38 PM
"
aefoa wrote:
Jack pot! How lucky i am to find exactly a build i was looking for to play on HC.
Thank you very much sir, for being here in the time of my need.

And a question: isn't Feeding Frenzy gem linked to zombies is safer than Meat shield? with FF gem zombies aggro faster = we get leech faster.

first of all , glad you enjoyed the guide

now for the feeding frezy , u r correct but becuase we are cycloning almost all the time to trigger spirit offering we r usually on top of enemies or at least at melee ranged and probably spamming convocation to re-summon all the minions

u could use feeding frenzy if you'd like , should be better for clear but i do think the rotting legion is very important for the build becuase of the less elemental damage taken per zombie.

Looks like your build's tree/items are set for end game bossing.
I think we need an anti-bleed flask while mapping as we attack mobs with cyclone, right?

Socketing zombies on that chest is just gimping their damage, and also reduces your overall EHP. Its a noob trap unique.

This was my set before i crafted my belt and decided to push for 1800 str, just missing a good lethal pride. Replace the belt with soul thether and feel the difference

sorry for the late responses , didn't have access to my pc

"
aefoa wrote:
Looks like your build's tree/items are set for end game bossing.
I think we need an anti-bleed flask while mapping as we attack mobs with cyclone, right?

even when u get a basic set of gear for this build i never needed an anti-bleed flask , ofc u can roll one if u wanna

"
Socketing zombies on that chest is just gimping their damage, and also reduces your overall EHP. Its a noob trap unique.

This was my set before i crafted my belt and decided to push for 1800 str, just missing a good lethal pride. Replace the belt with soul thether and feel the difference

the rotting legion is not gimping thier dmg and it does not reducde your EHP , its just a lot more defensive than other options specfically agianst elemental damage

we don't need 1800 str in the build becuase we r focusing more on the defensive side.

also , your build is quite different as u r not using soul tether at all.
Yoo man, why do you have Brutality support when u're using Spirit offering? In this case minions won't get that juicy 30% extra chaos damage D:
"
aefoa wrote:
Yoo man, why do you have Brutality support when u're using Spirit offering? In this case minions won't get that juicy 30% extra chaos damage D:

even with the spirit offering buff , according to pob brutality is still really strong

iirc its around number 3 support dmg wise
Just to share my build as the same way as more defense but still, get good DPS as 550k per zombies (16) and 450k per skelly (11) total Hp 6700 Es 9200 with spirit offering

Spoiler
Last edited by enolcycer21 on Oct 26, 2019, 12:24:49 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info