3.8.1b Hotfix

"
Exoul wrote:

LOL, are you seriuos? That always was GGG fault. Other games in Valve is patching very well. Only in PoE, patching it's a problem.

ggg runs a zipped resource file (content.ggpk) which has a fast indexing file system to allow faster finding and loading of ingame resources.

it's all game resources in one file and steam demands the file to be exactly the same as ggg released it, so the steam patcher can't just add individual files like the standalone patcher can.

it's steams "same file" policy that prevents fast patching.

i don't think that ggg could improve much if they separated ressources on multiple files, they would still be huge and steam would also backup them all in the patching process.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
vio wrote:
"
Exoul wrote:

LOL, are you seriuos? That always was GGG fault. Other games in Valve is patching very well. Only in PoE, patching it's a problem.

ggg runs a zipped resource file (content.ggpk) which has a fast indexing file system to allow faster finding and loading of ingame resources.

It's so fast than any other big company use this system.
"
BrunoBacsh wrote:
"
vio wrote:
"
Exoul wrote:

It's so fast than any other big company use this system.

Several companies do.....ever use a docx or xslx? and yes, MS stole this idea from someone else in the open source community
"
vio wrote:
i don't think that ggg could improve much if they separated ressources on multiple files...

If they separated "game logic data", textures, videos, audio and other stuff into individual files, then small patches that only need to change "game logic data" would only patch these files, which take up considerably less space than textures or audio. Then Steam would have to patch let's say a 0,5GB file instead of a 30GB one.

"
vio wrote:
...they would still be huge and steam would also backup them all in the patching process.

If you open Steam's download directory, you'll see it only patches the files that need to be patched. Rarely when there aren't any changes in the GGPK, even Steam patches are very fast.

This shows what was patched and when: https://steamdb.info/depot/238961/history/
I guess it's either 1 or 48,000. Nothing in between, right?
"
JayFinch wrote:
"
vio wrote:
i don't think that ggg could improve much if they separated ressources on multiple files...

If they separated "game logic data", textures, videos, audio and other stuff into individual files, then small patches that only need to change "game logic data" would only patch these files, which take up considerably less space than textures or audio. Then Steam would have to patch let's say a 0,5GB file instead of a 30GB one.

"
vio wrote:
...they would still be huge and steam would also backup them all in the patching process.

If you open Steam's download directory, you'll see it only patches the files that need to be patched. Rarely when there aren't any changes in the GGPK, even Steam patches are very fast.

This shows what was patched and when: https://steamdb.info/depot/238961/history/

thanks for the info, i don't run steam so this is quite useful.

you're probably right and performance could go up if steam only had to update/backup smaller files (i thought they always backup the whole thing) and maybe ggg even considers that at the current point where, afaik, steam users are (sadly) in the majority.

implications would be that standalone users, who now manually copy one file, would have to backup several files and torrents provided at league start wouldn't be practical.
but as things are, those torrents are putting steam users at a disadvantage at league start, probably assuming that users who use steam have a high bandwith connection anyway. which may not always be the case.

"
vio wrote:

implications would be that standalone users, who now manually copy one file, would have to backup several files and torrents provided at league start wouldn't be practical.

Not sure what you mean by backup, but AFAIK the torrent contains a ZIP file that can store any number of game files. And unzipping one or a few is not that big a difference.

Also there's now a Reddit thread about Steam patching with this image:

Except there should be one panel before it that has the guy waiting for ages for Steam to copy the file in the first place. Then there's the short download, then the long patching and finally the old file gets removed and the new one gets moved from the downloads directory to the game directory.
"
JayFinch wrote:

Not sure what you mean by backup

dis,
there is a option to manually backup your game files in steam but afaik, the client is backing up existing files which are about to be updated.

if people were able to switch that off, updating would be much faster.

you can still manually backup your content.ggpk every 2 weeks like i do it in the standalone version.

nice pic :)
That's unfortunately a misunderstanding and mixing unrelated things together.

Steam doesn't do backup when it patches. It just copies the file, patches it in the downloads directory and when the patch is done, moves it to the game directory. There is no way to "turn this off".

Yes, Steam has a manual game backup option, that just does a backup of all the game files automatically. This or turning it off won't help anything.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info