Goodbye Charan

"Apparently you need to lay it on thick instead of giving a clue and letting people figure it out themselves." would be the correct way to use that expression.
"You want it to be one way, but it's the other way"
"
LennyLen wrote:

You're not the only one. Google's never heard of it either.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/lay_it_on_thick

I subcounciously added the "layer it on" because i am drawing at the moment.

Layering substances or laying one substance on top of the other holds up i think.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Are we still talking about Charan here, or are we discussing layers? Maybe Charan had layers like an onion?
"
Boem wrote:
"
LennyLen wrote:

Layering substances or laying one substance on top of the other holds up i think.

Peace,

-Boem-

Idioms don't work that way. Specific collocations are required.

Don't believe me? Fine. The proof is in the pudding: No one understood you.

No one says "a nickel for your ruminations" either. (Though Star Trek's Data might.) Or, for that matter:

"It's getting late. I must strike the straw!"
"Yes, he is argumentative, but remember, tangoing requires two people."
"Let's assassinate two fowl with one rock!"
"This only happens one time during each blue moon."
"It seems I allowed the cat to escape from his bag."
"Well, that's a good pollical regulation." (And if you figure that one out without looking it up, then I am truly impressed.)

Of course this is all off-topic drivel, but it will likely amuse Charan if he reads it, so meh.
Wash your hands, Exile!
"
gibbousmoon wrote:

Of course this is all off-topic drivel, but it will likely amuse Charan if he reads it

Quite true, although in fairness, 99% of the PoE forums is drivel, whether on topic or not. (Including the "news" feed)

That being said bemusement from Boem is par for the course. He has talked himself into pretzels and conundrums far too many times.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
"
Boem wrote:
"
LennyLen wrote:

Peace,

-Boem-

Idioms don't work that way. Specific collocations are required.

Don't believe me? Fine. The proof is in the pudding: No one understood you.

No one says "a nickel for your ruminations" either. (Though Star Trek's Data might.) Or, for that matter:

"It's getting late. I must strike the straw!"
"Yes, he is argumentative, but remember, tangoing requires two people."
"Let's assassinate two fowl with one rock!"
"This only happens one time during each blue moon."
"It seems I allowed the cat to escape from his bag."
"Well, that's a good pollical regulation." (And if you figure that one out without looking it up, then I am truly impressed.)

Of course this is all off-topic drivel, but it will likely amuse Charan if he reads it, so meh.

"Het er dik opleggen" translates to "laying it on thick"

And me being bussy on anatomy and shading made me word it as "layering it on thick".

Like, remove two letters and your there. I'm gonna use my "i learned english by myself" card on this one if you don't mind.

Also why would Charan be reading this? Isn't this a goodbye Charan thread, he's suppose to be gone right.
You know, if you wanna delve into idioms im sure we could find a few to express this thread collorfully.

Peace,

-Boem-
"
DalaiLama wrote:
"
Archwizard wrote:
"
The_Impeacher wrote:
He was kind enough to include me as one of the first members of the greatest guild in PoE history.

A good and generous man.

Long live BLoW.

Funny, I don't remember you.

Nor do I recall any the_reporter in the guild.

I was a different account back them
Any signature worth using is against the rules. Therefore, no signature will be found here.
"
Boem wrote:
Like, remove two letters and your there. I'm gonna use my "i learned english by myself" card on this one if you don't mind.

I would never pick on you for speaking English as a second language. It's a fair sight better than my Dutch, your willful insistence upon bad grammar notwithstanding. (Remember "your nuts" vs "you're nuts?")

But if someone pointed out a mistake (a garbled idiom) that literally made my Dutch not understandable, and I stubbornly defended it and furthermore blamed others for not understanding, then I would and should take it on the chin, because I'd obviously have it coming.

Incidentally, "Lay it on thick" and "put in on layer thick" are not two letters' difference.
Wash your hands, Exile!
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
"
Boem wrote:

I would never pick on you for speaking English as a second language. It's a fair sight better than my Dutch, your willful insistence upon bad grammar notwithstanding. (Remember "your nuts" vs "you're nuts?")

But if someone pointed out a mistake (a garbled idiom) that literally made my Dutch not understandable, and I stubbornly defended it and furthermore blamed others for not understanding, then I would and should take it on the chin, because I'd obviously have it coming.

Incidentally, "Lay it on thick" and "put in on layer thick" are not two letters' difference.

"
"Apparently you need to lay it on thick instead of giving a clue and letting people figure it out themselves." would be the correct way to use that expression.

You know this was literally posted three post's after me.

So clearly people could understand it even if the formulation of the idiom was incorrect, i'm going to assume because the idiom wasn't the only thing i stated but there was both context of the conversation and the sentence.

Also if your going to be a grammer nazi instead of accepting i posted a link to the idiom i was referencing in that sentence while explaining i typed it wrong because i was focused on something else then dont write "put in on layer thick".

Me saying i still think it's understandable is an opinion, feel free to disagree thats hardly my concern.
I wasn't exactly "talking about idioms" when i made that claim. Merely from a point of view of expression and getting my intent across to somebody else.
Which ultimately is what i use language for, for example i didn't know what an "idiom" was before you mentioned it, i couldn't care less, i call them "figures of speech".

You don't even know the variable translations of "het er dik opleggen"(which is a dutch figure of speech) that can be done to english and how these don't all line up to the english idiom.

To put it on thick
To lay it on thick
Don't be daft
Don't be thick about it
Don't be pigheaded
Don't be obtuse about it
Making it beyond doubt

And probably a few more that would convey the dutch figure of speech sentiment without conforming to the idiom.

Have a good one, but don't expect me to care all that much when i literally spend a few seconds on each of these post's blindtyping them while being bussy doing other stuff. I never really hide the fact i type phonetically and fast and errors occur because of that.

Peace,

-Boem-

"posts"

not "post's"

It's a tiny example, but it's one demonstration among many that it's not a phonetic thing at all. It's just sloppy and not actually what you mean to say, and therefore harder to understand. And I do get that you don't necessarily care that you are sloppy and type things you don't mean to say and are therefore harder to understand.

But if that's truly the case, then you should also not care when multiple people in a thread call you out for not making sense. Because it will continue to happen, I promise.

Just shrug it off, if you truly don't care. Don't stubbornly try to defend it. Just as Darthski indicated earlier, you only dig yourself in deeper that way.

Case in point:

"
Also if your going to be a grammer nazi instead of accepting i posted a link to the idiom i was referencing in that sentence while explaining i typed it wrong because i was focused on something else then dont write "put in on layer thick".

I have no clue what you are trying to say here. If "my" going to be a grammar nazi then I shouldn't quote you directly to demonstrate the factual inaccuracy of your own statement?

You're not making sense, Boem.
Wash your hands, Exile!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info