So who would be willing to pay 5$ (USD) for just the beta key?

"
Tagek wrote:

I'm sorry but you people really are silly sometimes.
Do you have any idea how gigantic steam's sales numbers are? Sure, pc games are being sold poorly on shelves, but who the hell buys boxed pc games anymore?
Seriously, I could look at the digital market for console games and say it's dead, because fuck all people buy their console games digital, but that doesn't mean the entirety of console gaming is dying.

I am sad that such poorly informed, self proclaimed 'PC gamers' are spouting such nonsense about the platform.
If you posted this on any reasonable (general) gaming forum you would be considered a troll.

As usual, I see both sides of the coin here.

I buy boxed pc games still (Australia=shit DL speeds=steam wasn't worth it for a long time), so there's one point of contention with your rebuttal. It was a little myopic to say the least. And since I still buy boxed games, I can totally see where trcanberra was coming from -- there has been a massive decline in boxed pc game sales, at least in Oz. The console sections are slowly eating the PC section up. The available range of titles in any given EBgames has plummeted.

BUT the advent of steam has also rekindled the pc game market, and at all levels. I am nowadays very receptive to the idea of a $5-10 game DLed from steam, although I'd never have gone there if a friend hadn't bought Bastion for me. That really opened my eyes as to the level of quality of this 'cheaper' title tier.

...SO yeah, both kinda right. I do lament the loss of the pc game box with its chunky 'read me on the toilet anytime' manual and useless survey cards, but high-speed internet really has shuffled in a better alternative.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
I doubt many PC gamers buy retail games. Digital distribution is a much better option and I predict the next console generation will use DD as well, to keep used games out of the picture.
So what? I am not allowed to talk about it ? Don't you have anything better to do than police the forums for ppl who have other opinions than your own? Or maybe you feel the need to flash your shiny diamond status and try to be a forum super hero or something.

@xxnoob :D you caught me, i'm jelly i don't have a beta key.

But i still think paying for a beta key in game that tries to come out as "trully free" is stupid.
I don't even get it why supporters have to come to this thread when its a question addressed to people who are not in beta.
"
meggiroth wrote:
I guess I'm the only who sees something wrong in PAYING for a BETA. So in a FREE game you have to PAY for BETA. Its getting more and more hilarious every time I read it.

Its a privilege to have beta access. There are beta sales to games that cost a small fortune, often times much much more than the game would cost when it comes out. POE in its current form is well worth 10 bucks, plus you get points. Its a very cheap way to let the people that really want to play take part in the beta, and get more quality feedback.
"
meggiroth wrote:
So what? I am not allowed to talk about it ? Don't you have anything better to do than police the forums for ppl who have other opinions than your own? Or maybe you feel the need to flash your shiny diamond status and try to be a forum super hero or something.

But i still think paying for a beta key in game that tries to come out as "trully free" is stupid.
I don't even get it why supporters have to come to this thread when its a question addressed to people who are not in beta.

It's closed beta, game isn't even finished yet and even though the beta key was a very convincing item to have us donate, it wasn't all we gave GGG money for. In fact, you should be thankful there's people willing to give them money, it ensures you can play it for free for a long time and get more content.
"
meggiroth wrote:

Read my signature. I was here before I made that choice and I plan to be here well after. This is typically a VERY good community, full of both Path of Exile supporters and fans of other games. Most of us can have disagreements without causing trouble, without being too incendiary and certainly without seeming as utterly *indignant* as you.

So sure, of course you can post whatever you want -- but if you do something stupid, as I believe you have, expect to be called on it.

Also, I'd never want the privilege or duty to 'police' this place. It would remove my ability to tell you to piss off.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Apr 9, 2012, 1:39:06 PM
"
meggiroth wrote:

What are you failing to understand? You do not have to pay for a beta key, they are still sending out random invites. The other beta keys are for people that want to help support GGG via donation. If you do not feel like helping GGG by using their business model that is completely your right and *drumroll*…. you are still eligible for a random beta key or *even longer drumroll*.. you can take your business elsewhere if you are unhappy.

It’s really that simple.

I could somehow understand your gripe if they shut off random invites and actually forced people to buy a key but they haven’t done that.
Last edited by doomahx on Apr 9, 2012, 2:03:51 PM
Well, for me personally, I don't look at it as buying a beta key or pre-paying for micro-cash. I look at it as supporting a developer for a game that looks amazing and one that I plan on getting a lot of time out of. The beta key and other stuff is just a bonus.

Good grief, the game is going to be free. My piddling $25 is nothing compared to the entertainment I'll get out of it. Just enough to buy some lunch.

I think it's fair to classify GGG as an independent developer, and supporting them only helps us all as gamers in the long run.

I just heard about the game last night. I watched a live stream for awhile, came here and checked out the information, signed up and plopped down a bit of cash. Hopefully I'll have something intelligent to say during beta so those that do decide to wait and play for free will have a better experience.

.02 dropped

Edit: Thanks SaracenEve if you're here for the stream last night. Maybe we'll see each other in game.
Last edited by Ashren on Apr 9, 2012, 2:12:36 PM
"
Ashren wrote:
Well, for me personally, I don't look at it as buying a beta key or pre-paying for micro-cash. I look at it as supporting a developer for a game that looks amazing and one that I plan on getting a lot of time out of. The beta key and other stuff is just a bonus.

Good grief, the game is going to be free. My piddling $25 is nothing compared to the entertainment I'll get out of it. Just enough to buy some lunch.

I think it's fair to classify GGG as an independent developer, and supporting them only helps us all as gamers in the long run.

I just heard about the game last night. I watched a live stream for awhile, came here and checked out the information, signed up and plopped down a bit of cash. Hopefully I'll have something intelligent to say during beta so those that do decide to wait and play for free will have a better experience.

.02 dropped

Wow, great story. Hi and welcome. :)

You really nailed it with this post. Anyone who checks what most of the 'supporter' packs provides key-wise will know that it was, for most of us, not about the keys. Anything above the base-line is far more than the purchase of a key or two.

What some people don't get is that the majority of the 'testing' is done. Once you allow some way for the general public to access your game, you're effectively past 'closed' status. However, the features GGG wanted to implement pre-Open are still being put in, therefore it can't go 'open' yet either.

So it's not as if we are *paying* to do their work for them. I've written a whole two posts in the beta feedback forum and neither of those were really very good. We are, however, paying for early access -- and getting that money back as store credit.

There is absolutely nothing to lose. It's still entirely free -- we merely choose to say, yes, we will be supporting GGG via its cash store before the store even opens. And if you choose otherwise, you can wait until the game (and store) are opened in earnest. Paying for early access or semi-exclusive features is not something limited to video or computer games; if anything, GGG have merely mimicked a time-honoured tradition, albeit very smoothly.

This entire move is not without many precedents in real life at all.

Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Apr 9, 2012, 2:16:42 PM
Going to buy it (15$ or 25$ pack, still hesitating)...
I have (relatively) hard times with money these days, but I know I will be buying Diablo 3. And I would not be able to look at myself in the mirror if I gave such an amount of money to a big evil company like Activision/Blizzard and nothing to the guys of GGG. I really love their mentality and I really love this game (and, as my girlfriend say, "if I had the money I would buy the Diamond pack").
So, I'll eat less meat the next weeks and that's all :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info