So who would be willing to pay 5$ (USD) for just the beta key?

"
gmx09 wrote:
If you aren't happy with that, either wait until the open beta or the full release, or alternatively, play something else.

That's what I am going to do.

"
gmx09 wrote:
You aren't a potential customer for this type of business model if you're asking for lower price brackets,

I am not. Didn't intend to spend money on microtransactions. But are you willing to allow that there might be other people who like me, just wanted the game and nothing else?

Grinding Gear Games could have earned another 5 bucks from those in this stage of development. That's what I was aiming at.

"
gmx09 wrote:
Are you really that dense?

Apparently. Still, I, like other dense people, do have a right to live I think.
"
Tagek wrote:

Well I'm sorry, but thinking that anyone without a beta key would spend 10$ on a game they don't have access too is just dumb (no offense). People without beta access buy it because it gives them a key, and the 10$ credit is very nice extra incentive.

Ahem.

You are aware that a whole ton of people will gladly simply dump money as donations without expecting nothing in return, except a great game a year from now?

There are a lot of game developers who fund their entire dev cycle through donations alone, even though nobody donating has played the game... at best seen some screens or videos.

Sure a lot of people will buy the Pre-purchase because of the key. But there is more to it. A lot of people who aren't dirt poor and are decent human beings - actually don't mind giving money to people and projects they deem worthy.

I'm glad I got the beta key, but very likely I would have bought a supporter pack regardless in order to SUPPORT the devs in making this game faster, better and greater when it finally comes out. :)
"
Archangel591 wrote:
"
Tagek wrote:

Well I'm sorry, but thinking that anyone without a beta key would spend 10$ on a game they don't have access too is just dumb (no offense). People without beta access buy it because it gives them a key, and the 10$ credit is very nice extra incentive.

Ahem.

You are aware that a whole ton of people will gladly simply dump money as donations without expecting nothing in return, except a great game a year from now?

There are a lot of game developers who fund their entire dev cycle through donations alone, even though nobody donating has played the game... at best seen some screens or videos.

Sure a lot of people will buy the Pre-purchase because of the key. But there is more to it. A lot of people who aren't dirt poor and are decent human beings - actually don't mind giving money to people and projects they deem worthy.

I'm glad I got the beta key, but very likely I would have bought a supporter pack regardless in order to SUPPORT the devs in making this game faster, better and greater when it finally comes out. :)

Perhaps you would have, but the vast majority of people simply would not have helped support a game they haven't played (for longer than 2 days if they played the open weekend), has no known developers and isn't a sequal to a known franchise.
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse
Last edited by Tagek on Apr 7, 2012, 1:00:35 PM
Best 50 dollar purchase I've made in a long time. Was WAY worth it. No doubts on my purchase.
"
stevencrotnik wrote:
I am not. Didn't intend to spend money on microtransactions. But are you willing to allow that there might be other people who like me, just wanted the game and nothing else?

Grinding Gear Games could have earned another 5 bucks from those in this stage of development. That's what I was aiming at.

There are a lot of people that enjoy playing F2P games without contributing or donating to thank the developer. What I am trying to say is that they aren't aiming to please you. They wont profit from you, so they aren't intending on making you happy. I'm sure they'd much rather have their moral integrity than attempt to lower the value of their game just so they can have your pennies.
Last edited by gmx09 on Apr 7, 2012, 1:04:40 PM
nickel and dime much?
"
Tagek wrote:

Perhaps you would have, but the vast majority of people simply would not have helped support a game they haven't played (for longer than 2 days if they played the open weekend), has no known developers and isn't a sequal to a known franchise.

True.

But to be honest when the entire point of the Game is to be F2P(And even if it wasn't), it seems silly to allow people to actually buy access to the Close Beta game, as it's access to unfinished content.

I think 5$ would go a long way in defeating the purpose of it all.

No need to ask flat out money from players to play an unfinished game which will possibly leave them both annoyed due to character wipes and unfinished content and somewhat bored of the content by actual release time.

The current system most definitely makes more sense as it gives store credit and some thank you goodies. Making the purchase seem more like an Investment to the future of the game and your experience.

Instead of just giving you access to unfinished content and nothing else.
"
Nachash wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, the philosophy behind the donations is to offer beta-keys as a thank you gift rather than selling them. The idea is to pre-purchase credits for the cash-shop, with higher donations coming with more thank you gifts.
Exactly this.

If they started charging for just the beta key, without offering any additional in-game credits, then, well, that would just change the whole flavour of the current pre-purchase system.

Forgive me if I'm repeating someone else's point, but: I think think it's call Pre-Purchase because no matter what your level of donation, you will get credits that can be used on things that carry on over after the beta.

Simply charging for a beta key would leave you X dollars short, and without anything to show for it, once the game goes live.
"
Pwnosaurus wrote:
nickel and dime much?

Hey, there was huge outrage over that COD mw2 mappack, even though it only costed a few dollars more than any other mappack.

I personally think it was an outrage to charge that much,
by the way, but that's also kind of a nickle and dime thing. (Not saying it's compareable to this situation, but it is compareable to the 'nickle and dime' -thing.'
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse
Where does this end?

"I want a 0.5$ option, and I'm sure it would totally bring in legions of other people who wasn't willing to spend that $1."

Stop creating a problem. There's a price and there's a product. Either you pay the price or you don't buy the product, it's a very simple concept.

Do something productive instead, I bet if you had you could've earned more than those $5 in the amount of time you spend sitting online complaining over unfair pricepoints.
IGN's:
Nemesis: "Stocktons". HC: "Magomedrasul" & "Stockton".
Last edited by Machida on Apr 7, 2012, 1:09:55 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info