How's the Learning Curve?Easy or hard?

Well recently my friend introduced me to this game, I had never played diablo before so I'm unfamiliar with this type of game.

Anyways today I got an Email saying I could buy a beta key for $10 so I decided to do some research of the game.

In my google searching, I decided to see what was the learning curve of the game since I don't want something extremely complicated.

To me it appears from the videos that the game is pretty straight forward and the gameplay looks kind of easy...Only complicated thing that I could consider is the depth of the skill tree and actually building of a charector which I like...but like I said the game looks very simple from youtube videos.

So is it a safe assumption that the gameplay is simple but the charector building is really in depth?

Because in my google searching some person compared this to EVE which Im sure is a great game but I don't want a game with a steep learning curve as that....Perhaps the person was using it as a metaphor tho.

So how easy is the game play?and how in depth is the Charector building?
I'd say the only fair comparison to PoE and Eve is that they are both on-line games.

I played Eve for over 18 months before I gave my character away, and the learning curve for PoE is considerably simpler to pick up and play.
Those who beat their swords into ploughshares, will plough for those who have not.
"
So is it a safe assumption that the gameplay is simple but the charector building is really in depth?

Your assumption is pretty much spot on.

The first difficulty setting is IMO set just right so that you can go through it without many problems while slowly learning the ropes of character building.
Last edited by oblomir on Apr 7, 2012, 5:59:26 AM
The learning curve is perfectly fine and the game is very easy to play control wise.
Like most RPG's you level up pretty quickly at the start so you can take your character in what ever direction you want them to go and the size of the skill tree is massive.
This is a great time to experiment and keep in mind this is a beta:

1) Lots will change before release, mostly for the good

2) All characters will be wiped before public release.
"So is it a safe assumption that the gameplay is simple but the charector building is really in depth? "

Exactly. Actually playing the game is pretty simple to pick up and do well at, but it takes some time and thought to really decide how to build your character's passive skills, gems, whether to take equipment with more sockets or better stats, etc. Easy to learn, hard to master kind of thing.
Act 1 Normal is piece of cake, and depending on how much time you spend in it and how quicly you learn, ac2 may either come as a breeze or a typhoon. Same with every difficulty after that and you have to constantly adapt.
At first I didn't evne use potions all that much, neither tactics, I just went in, did my thing and looted, but that's long past and if I did that now the first mob would kill me.
I personally really enjoy the learning curve of this game.

You can load up and start playing immediately, with some basic experience playing ARPGs or just games in general you can make a character, understanding the basic archetypes etc

Once you do that though theres lots of subtle things to do and learn to give you a richer experience. I've been winging characters generally and not worrying too much about gear, I've gone for fairly gimpy builds but I'm doing fine and learning a lot, I've not finished normal difficulty yet though so things may change, but you can always reroll.

I think you need to acknowledge there is a learning curve and as a result not worry about your first attempts at each character class as you wont get it perfect, but that's where the depth lies and the curve isn't steep so you never feel lost, you get that satisfactory feeling of learning and growing in skill.

I'll also second what people say about the beta, use it experiment and learn the game, your characters will be wiped in a few months.
"
Savageace wrote:
Well recently my friend introduced me to this game, I had never played diablo before so I'm unfamiliar with this type of game.

Anyways today I got an Email saying I could buy a beta key for $10 so I decided to do some research of the game.

In my google searching, I decided to see what was the learning curve of the game since I don't want something extremely complicated.

To me it appears from the videos that the game is pretty straight forward and the gameplay looks kind of easy...Only complicated thing that I could consider is the depth of the skill tree and actually building of a charector which I like...but like I said the game looks very simple from youtube videos.

Because in my google searching some person compared this to EVE which Im sure is a great game but I don't want a game with a steep learning curve as that....Perhaps the person was using it as a metaphor tho.

So how easy is the game play?and how in depth is the Charector building?

As has been pointed out, the comparison with Eve ends with "requires internet connection" (and both are amazing games, I would add). I expect my non-gaming wife to have no problem learning the basics of the game while I focus on helping her with the in depth character building. You won't regret the $10 donation.
Starting the game is pretty easy, though there can be some lapses (I thought Hillock was surprisingly difficult to fight as a Duelist). I would assume that the curve sharpens after the first few levels, based off of the nature of the game.
THY MIDLANDS SHALL BE MINE OWN OR I SHALL DEFECT

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info