Animation Feedback

"
Widukind wrote:
"
Ari wrote:
"
Moist wrote:
something about the maces seems odd. Iunno just seems to swing funny. Or maybe he swings too soft for the blow.

Which character is this for?

I'm only two weeks in the beta so I can't tell what it's like for most of the classes, but I do know that the mace attack with the templar looks a bit weak. I think the swing is too slow and clumsy. I guess it looks better with more ias, but I think there's room for improvement here.

I think the melee attacks and skills are generally the weakest animation wise. Sweep is another example, it looks a bit strange when using a staff with the templar (don't know whether it looks different with other classes / weapons). I guess it would look better if the character didn't stand still during the animation, but would make more of a spinning motion himself.

Yep I'm doing a stance and animation upgrade on the Templar at the moment (the tricksters animations will be done after) Should be out with open beta.
animator
"
MagicJohnson wrote:
Overall I like animations but I dislike the duelist's stance, and a lot.
I mean isn't the duelist supposed to be someone proud of himself and his skills in battle? Isn't he supposed to be confident about himself? Because to me it looks as if he was so beat down that he can't even handle the weight of his own head. I mean look at him! He's always at this ridiculous half crouched stance. If he plans on standing like that for the rest of his life he's going to have some severe back problems in the future. My main is a duelist (at least until the final wipe), and I love my dmg output, my skills and the overall way I've built my character, but I seriously can't stand him as a character, not due to his personality, but because (to me) he seems to want to represent something, to be looked as a mighty warrior/ranger/whatever, but his goofy stance prevents him from doing so.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I love this freaking game.

duelist has a new animation set with better stance and more impactful attacks but it won't be added for a little bit because there are some technical things for the character that need to be taken care of and everyone has quite alot on their plate at the moment
animator
"
DarthNorris wrote:
"
Ari wrote:
"
MagicJohnson wrote:
Overall I like animations but I dislike the duelist's stance, and a lot.
I mean isn't the duelist supposed to be someone proud of himself and his skills in battle? Isn't he supposed to be confident about himself? Because to me it looks as if he was so beat down that he can't even handle the weight of his own head. I mean look at him! He's always at this ridiculous half crouched stance. If he plans on standing like that for the rest of his life he's going to have some severe back problems in the future. My main is a duelist (at least until the final wipe), and I love my dmg output, my skills and the overall way I've built my character, but I seriously can't stand him as a character, not due to his personality, but because (to me) he seems to want to represent something, to be looked as a mighty warrior/ranger/whatever, but his goofy stance prevents him from doing so.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I love this freaking game.

duelist has a new animation set with better stance and more impactful attacks but it won't be added for a little bit because there are some technical things for the character that need to be taken care of and everyone has quite alot on their plate at the moment

Awesome!! I can't wait to see what his new animations looks like when this releases.

Does possibly elude to having more than one character's animations reworked in the future? I've noticed some complaints being made about the "stiff" animations of some of the characters during combat. I personally think the combat is great! But there are others that have some qualms with the overall smoothness of how characters attack and move.

Yeah they will, Templars new set 'should' be in the 0.10.0 patch if not it will be the one after and i'm doing the Shadows new set at the moment. We're continually updating the tech related to animation as well as the animations themselves so over time i hope we can get to more of a current gen standard and give the people the brutality their looking for

animator
"
DarthNorris wrote:

This is something that will change many, many peoples minds about the quality of this game. The character animations was brought up a lot in other forums, and one that people had a hard time accepting with other current gen games out, even knowing it's a completely free to own and play game. I am overly excited to see the future of this game as it rolls forward. Thanks for the speedy response!

Seriously, the team at GGG are amazing. The response time, level of support, level of detail, love of games, and overall dedication are on par with the best. Keep up the amazing work!

P.S. This game and Dev. team brought back my love of the genre.

Yeah it's a bummer, unfortunatly the animation tech wasn't the best from the outset and I was pretty green when I started at ggg so now we're working retroactively to fix it. Thanks for all the kind words and support hope you enjoy open beta
animator
"
Avireyn wrote:
A lot of people only know motion capture animations - they often simply don't even know that every single animation in PoE had to be rigged from hand (or that Ari is practically the only animator of the team - unless that has changed?).

And since you're going over the 'needy' animations anyhow, I just wanted to express my respect for the sheer amount of craftsmanship and dedication that has gone into PoE's animations.

I loathe to bring up D3 as comparison, but it's relevant: I was so severely dismayed when my monk didn't use the weapons I had equipped, and instead relied on the standard animations for everything. Felt like a cheap cop-out for such a renowned studio.

And then I took a look at PoE. The moment I fell in love with the game was when I picked up a rapier and tried it out for a bit... and it had different animations when I attacked than my other sword. I'm thirty years old, but in that moment I squeed. That was SO cool!

We actually have got another animator Craig as of a few months ago who is a really talented guy. Thanks Avireyn really appreciate the sentiments and glad that your digging PoE!!
animator
"
KenshiD wrote:
Shadow got a new default attack animation for daggers?

Because there is a new one now. And it looks not good.

The problem is that it looks as if he was pushing a button with his knife instead of attacking an enemy.

The whole animation looks like a push, rather than a slice or stab.

Spoiler

Here is a screenshot. But as a picture it doesn't tell you the whole story.
It really lacks impact and doesn't feel as if the enemy was injured by it.

Also what I just saw in the screenshot. He doesn't even use the sharp side of the blade to attack the enemy!

yeah that is a new animation but it shouldn't of been patched yet it was abit of a experiment and i'm still working on it but since it's gone out i'll take what you guys think onboard.

thanks for the feedback
animator
"
ultraperson wrote:
I believe I made a mistake and made a new thread when I should have posted here. Can someone delete that thread?

This is what I posted

"I think found something wrong with the animation for Shield Charge.

Spoiler

I think the Duelist's back is broken. I've checked the Templar, Shadow, Witch and Marauder and they're all perfectly fine. I don't have a Ranger to test it on."

oh boy, that looks like a export issue because we re-rigged the duelist. thanks for the post completely missed that
animator
"
VictorDoom wrote:
"
Malice wrote:
"
Verb wrote:
the duelist dual wield cleave animation looks like it stops to soon or something. Looks like he's twiching or something when he does it. In comparison the shadow animation is smooth as ass. Actually the shadow animation is amazing but the duelist looks wierd.

Just put these two videos next to each other and you'll see the huge difference.

Shadow cleave

Duelist cleave

Looks like the duelist is using a one-handed animation for cleave, only swinging the right-hand weapon. It used to look more like the shadow one.

It the same for the templar dual wield cleave, the animation is pretty horrible..and no fix for it yet:(

All the cleaves for all characters are going to get a make over soon. The Cleave has had alot of incarnations so the animations between characters vary alot the new ones will be abit more uniform.

Thanks for the feedback
animator
"
Charan wrote:
Dear Ari,

LOVE the new dagger animations for Shadow. Awesome work. So glad you've been tweaking these.

One issue -- in town, the shadow switches to backhand for all off-hand weapons. I happen to be playing an odd left-hand sword right-hand claw build, and in town, he holds the sword backhand, but switches miraculously to forehand when moving. If I reverse it, the claw is oddly pointing outwards rather than in.

I figure these are all side effects of finally getting the Shadow to wield two daggers backhand style.

Thanks for all your work. Really appreciate it. :)

Hey Charan,

Cool glad you like the new stuff. Yep I've already done all the animations to fix this just waiting for them to get hooked up but the guys are super busy so it's probably a couple patches away.

Thanks for the feedback, have a good one
animator
"
creamies wrote:
why were the shadow staff animations changed?

the old ones where coming up in alot of bug reports
animator

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info