3.7.4 Deployment Downtime Incident Report

"
Bananaplasm wrote:

It's kinda sad to see they haven't changed. They are a multi million chinese company now, but still develop like an indie college garage band. They apparently have more than one faulty team they can't get up to standard. The only other company that does that (which isn't outright scammy) is Riot Games. This game is now 6 years old since official release, almost 1 year since Acquisition.
Though it's great to see the patch actually didn't break anything, they just missed a fucking database migration. That is the really interesting detail they could elaborate on in a follow up. Chances are high they won't.

Exactly my point. This is amateur hour, from what should be a very professional company.

Ironic that Riot is also owned by Tencent.
hehe
Not much needs to be said. A rollback was the proper and logical step and GGG acted swiftly to avoid a really bad PR nightmare. As usual I am surprised that people are so hard on GGG for such a minor issue - IMO it is better to save the criticism for the stuff that matters.
you are loved <3
"
SlaserX wrote:
"
Bananaplasm wrote:

It's kinda sad to see they haven't changed. They are a multi million chinese company now, but still develop like an indie college garage band. They apparently have more than one faulty team they can't get up to standard. The only other company that does that (which isn't outright scammy) is Riot Games. This game is now 6 years old since official release, almost 1 year since Acquisition.
Though it's great to see the patch actually didn't break anything, they just missed a fucking database migration. That is the really interesting detail they could elaborate on in a follow up. Chances are high they won't.

Exactly my point. This is amateur hour, from what should be a very professional company.

Ironic that Riot is also owned by Tencent.

Lol if you expect any developer in a live sevice game to have flawless patching, no downtime or server crashes, and QA that catches all issues you are insane. There is no example you could provide to serve as a measuring post.

Also Tencent is the Publisher, they are not involved in day to day patching, development, content planning, ect..

** on topic, I have always felt like Jonathan's incident reports were timely, humble, direct, and effective. About as good as you could want from a dev in this area. **
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
DP
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Jul 25, 2019, 1:39:05 PM
"
SlaserX wrote:
"
"...our QA processes didn't catch the issue"

I've been playing PoE for nearly 7 years. I keep seeing this same sentence over and over again. This is what stops me from giving you more money.
If you get a job in QA for a much more simple game, you'll have a much greater respect for the QA team of PoE.
https://www.ForeverExiled.com/: Forever Exiled, A Path of Exile Podcast

Annnnnd

Wrecker of Days' One-Stop-Shop: Stress-Free Builds (& Filters): 1-Button, HC SSF, Item Freedom: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3467875
Last edited by Wrecker_of_Days on Jul 25, 2019, 1:50:46 PM
"
This incident is not up to the standard of service that we want to provide to you

Good thing to know, I already started to worry since all these years, but now, after reading this I see everything is cool.
Problem: impostor syndrome
Solution: nerf everything
Result: depressing mess
always fantastic seeing this degree of transparancy and integrity, keep it up boys, love your work ♥
I just remembered how Blizzard handled the gem duplication fiasco...
they hided all information and tried to handle it by checking logs...
they refused to roll back database!
tried to revert back/cancel all transactions manually one by one...
result? They closed auction house, and Diablo III is just RIP :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info