[3.7] (Legion) The Chaos Agnostic Build - Insane Life & Mana sustain!!!

[3.7.0] (Legion) The Chaos Agnostic

Welcome to a tanky caster build that ignores reflect, which I named the Chaos Agnostic build that makes use of the new Timeless Jewel that drops in Legion League, more specifically the Militant Faith Timeless Jewel which converts passive keystone in range into The Agnostic.

Build concept
Spoiler
The idea was to make a build that relied on its Mana for survivability much like "Mana Shield" from Diablo but Mind over Matter alone never seem to gave me that feeling as it diverted a portion of the damage. When I saw the new Keystone called The Agnostic, I knew I needed to try again as 20% of Mana recovered as Life looked promising.

By placing the specific Militant Faith Timeless Jewel in an allocated jewel slot within your passive skill tree, it will convert any Keystone in range into "Agnostic" <put link to Agnostic>. With Agnostic keystone allocated, it will cause the player to have 0 maximum Energy Shield (means you have no Energy Shield what so ever). At the same time, the player will lose up to 20% of maximum mana per 1 second and recover that same amount as life if the player's life is not full.

How The Agnostic works:
● If Player has max 5000 life and 5000 mana.
● If Player has NO other sources of life regeneration and recovery.
● If player takes a hit and loses 1000 life, the player loses 1000 mana over 1 second.
● The player gains 1000 life over 1 second.

You can see that when I cast Dark Pact, I lose both Life from Dark Pact which is almost instantly recovered as I lose Mana due to Agnostic and mana cost for Dark Pact.

Path of Exile Science!
Spoiler

● Key to making this build successful is to get as much Flat Mana regeneration such as from Clarity, etc. and % Max Mana regeneration such as from Cloak of Defiance, etc.

● Both the mana lost and life recovered from Agnostic happens by "ticks" and happens gradually, not instantly or in "chunks" of 20%.

● This means if the player loses any amount of life, the proportionate amount of mana sacrificed to be recovered back at life at a capped rate of 20% max mana per second and there does not seem to be a way to overcome this cap.

● There is however a way to increase the rate of recovery for life and mana as there is are stats/mod in POE called "X% Life Recovery Rate" or "X% Mana Recovery Rate".

● These mods are however very rare in this game and only directly available through Watcher's Eye Jewel, Shaper/Elder Belt and Flow Untethered Unique Belt or indirectly through Ascendancies and Pantheon but are mostly conditional.

Why I choose Templar Hierophant
Spoiler
Templar was chosen for this build is mainly for access to Hierophant ascendancy and easy access to % maximum Life nodes, % maximum Mana nodes and % Mana Regeneration nodes on the passive tree which are all key to this build.

Hierophant ascendancy also provides:
● Hierophant's Divine Guidance gives another 10% damage taken from mana before life and flat 150 to maximum mana

● Arcane Blessing gives free Arcane surge on hit & status immunity which helps a lot

● Illuminated Devotion gives 0.5% spell leech which is very rare and helps to sustain even more

Pros & Cons
Spoiler
Pros
● Tanky - About 6500 effective life, near instant heals on non-one-shot-hits
● Non-meta build - Self Cast on Self Dark Pact (no skeletons)
● Chaos Damage - Can handle elemental and physical reflect with no problems
● Zoom zoom zoom - Permanent Onslaught thanks to Dance of the Offered boots
● Good Mapper - Can do maps with any map mod except NO life/mana recovery.
● Easy to assemble - Mostly require uniques which are non-meta and cheap.

Cons
● Life and Mana build - Need to get used to Mind over Matter playstyle of managing both Life and Mana constantly.
● Not Shaper/Elder farmer - Sorry, this ain't no instant Shaper killing build
● No offscreening - Can only kill whats on screen, no instant Legion clearing machine
● Cannot do NO life & mana recovery map mod.

Build Enabling Items
Spoiler

Militant Faith Timeless Jewel: Carved to glorify (2000-10000) new faithful converted by High Templar Venarius
Key enabler of this build and the only way to obtain The Agnostic keystone (as of 3.7.0 Legion). I recommend getting one with "all elemental resistance" and "0.X mana regenerated per second" mod.

Cloak of Defiance

It is considered best in slot as it gives up to 150 maximum mana (double of what can be gotten from a rare chest), free Mind over Matter (save 1 passive skill point), 1% maximum mana regenation (does not exist on chest) and additional 10% damage taken from mana before life (further improves Mind over Matter).
Alternative would be a Rare Shaper chest crafted with Lucent Fossil for flat mana, mana recovery on kill and damage taken from mana before life.

Atziri's Foible

This amulet is basically made for any build that wants to stack mana and mana regeneration. There is no alternative that comes close to replacing this amulet's mana enabling capabilities. The reduced stat requirement help reduce Dexterity management which this build lacks of.

Watcher's Eye Jewel

Watcher's Eye with either of the following mod is required for this build (best would be find a jewel with both):
- XX% increased Life recovery rate while affected by Vitality
- XX% increased Mana recovery rate while affected by Clarity

If you are not able to get the mod that requires Vitality, it means the build won't need to reserve 35% of maximum mana for Vitality aura which means more mana to spend and more effective Life due to Mind over Matter. However it is highly recommended to get a Watcher's eye with Vitality mod as it greatly increases the life recovery rate.

Grand Spectrum Cobalt Jewel

3 Grand Spectrum Cobalt Jewel grants a total of 270 maximum mana. These are the easiest jewels to obtain that grant the most amount of mana. Good thing is that they are also cheap so just buy a bunch and corrupt with Vaal Orb for "Cannot be Cursed with Silence" and "Corrupted Blood cannot be inflicted on you" mod.

Other Items to boost this build
Spoiler

Indigon Helmet

With a build that stacks maximum mana and mana regeneration, there is no reason to not take advantage of Indigon to get increased % spell damage through mana consumption which this build can sustain.

Doedre's Malevolence

Overall great spell caster glove with a heavy negative of +50 mana cost to skills which this build takes advantage of by combining with Indigon unique helm so more mana is used per cast.

Dance of the Offered

Boots that give some flat mana, lightning resist, free Onslaught if not on low mana and decent movespeed with the downside of -30 to -40 mana per second which is no problem for this build.

Apep's Rage

This wand grants almost a 7th link to your main skill as the flat Chaos Damage added is a lot. The downside of increased mana cost once again becomes a positive thanks to Indigon + high mana regeneration.

Rare Shaper Belt

Any Shaper based Belt of itemlevel 68 and above can have the stat "#% increased Mana Recovery rate" which significantly boost the mana regeneration of this build. Craft the item using a Lucent Fossil so the belt will most likely roll Mana related mods which is what you want and best outcomes would be to get "#% increased Mana Recovery rate" from Shaper mod and also the Delve Fossil mod.

Rare Shaper Shield (caster base prefered)

Best to get a caster base shield so it will not roll Strength or Dexterity mods (and related). Shield should be itemlevel 81 or above as it would allow for the highest mana rolls to be obtained. Craft the item using a Lucent Fossil so the shield will most likely roll Mana related mods which is what you want and best outcomes would be for it to have:
● +Maximum Mana
● Socketed Gems have #% reduced Mana Reservation
● Recover #% of your maximum Mana when you Block
● #% of Mana Regenerated per second if you've Hit an Enemy Recently
● #% increased Mana Regeneration Rate
● a high +Intelligence is also acceptable

Passive Skill Tree & Bandit Quest (act2)
Spoiler

Bandits: Help Alira for 5 mana regenerated per second which is multiplied many folds for this build in later levels. +15% to all elemental resist also aids in balancing resistance after act10 as this build relies heavily on unique items with no resistance stats.

Passive Skill Tree (Level 90) (8 Ascendancy Points)
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAUCAAOaBAcEswj0C2ERLRQgFHEUqRg8GFYYXRo4HNwfxycvKyYreCycMtE1kjpYOuE8BTwtPV9Bh0PIRKtFR0WdTLNN408EUEdSU1NSVa5VxlhtWfNboF7AXypkM2ZUZ5toWGhlaPJqG2pDbRlyD3Kpdqx8DnxLfIN82YGPggeCEINfg8yD24haidiPGo-mkFWUb5Z0l5WX9Jrgnj6iAKZXp1Wsqq2NrfGuPq79r2y18rc-vOq9J72CwGbE9sauz37QH9eW2L3ZfN7l37DkUeoY6-Tr7uwu7w7vfO_r8B_yRfPd9zL46_nd-ej-Cv6P_rM=?accountName=174nana&characterName=Legionment

Pantheon Setup
Spoiler
Major God
Spoiler
Soul of the Brine King
Helps a lot as this build needs to go near to enemies to clear fast and this helps avoid stun locks.

Alternatively, if you have some stun recovery on your crafted shield, you can go for Soul of Lunaris for pack clears of Soul of Solaris for Izaro/Elder/Shaper.

Minor God
Spoiler
Soul of Tukohama
To maximize Intensify stacks while bossing, you will stand still near bosses quite often so the extra physical mitigation helps but only against physical damage bosses of course.

My Gear Setup & Recommendations
Spoiler

My Current Gear
Spoiler

Recommended gear setup & Stats on gear to look out for
Spoiler

Helmet : Indigon

Body Armour : Cloak of Defiance

Gloves : Doedre's Malevolence

Boots : Dance of the Offered

Belt : Shaper Leather Belt (or Elder if you want to get % Life Recovery Rate. I recommend Shaper for better mana sustain with
Indigon)

Main Hand : Apep's Rage

Off Hand : Shaper caster shield

Ring #1 : Rare ring with Max Life, Max Mana, % Elemental Resistances and % Mana Regen

Ring #2 : Rare ring with Max Life, Max Mana, % Elemental Resistances and % Mana Regen

Amulet : Atziri's Foible

Jewel : Rare jewel with % Max life, % Max mana, % Area Damage, % Chaos Damage, Elemental Resistance (if need) or % Spell Damage

Jewels (unique) : Grand Spectrum Cobalt Jewel x3, Watcher's Eye x1, Militant Faith Timeless Jewel x1

Flask
Spoiler

My Current Flasks:

Recommended:
1x Eternal Mana Flask for fast mana
1x Witchfire Brew for Despair Curse Aura
1x Sulphur Flask for extra damage and Consecrated Ground for % Life Regen
1x Quicksilver to go faster (not required)
1x Atziri's Promise is also usable just for the Chaos Resistance and the Chaos leech

Skill Gems
Spoiler

Dark Pact
+ Void Manipulation
+ Intensify
+ Spell Echo
+ Controlled Destruction
+ Added Chaos Damage

Frostblink
n/a

Stone Golem
+ Minion Life
+ Culling Strike

Righteous Fire
+ Burning Damage
+ Elemental Focus
+ Inc. Area / Conc. Effect

Auras
Clarity + Enlighten
Vitality + Enlighten

Defense = Immortal Call & Enfeeble
+ Cast when damage taken

Wither Totems
Wither
+ Spell Totem
+ Faster Casting
+ Multiple Totems

Videos
Spoiler

To Add more soon.

Tier 13 Rare Tower Map
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt5aQOZkKTc

You can also use other Spells
Spoiler

Since this build is not build to fit a specific type of spell, you are free to try other spells and tweak accordingly.

I am currently testing with Ice Nova, Arc, etc.

The most overpowered one I feel would be Frostbolt + Ice Nova which can be fitted into the build by removing Wither totem setup and replace it with Frostbolt setup.

Tips to effectively run this build
● Always keep an eye on your mana usage and heavy spamming of Dark Pact with Righteous Fire and taking damage from enemies will quickly drain you to low mana which turns off your Onslaught.

● Doing maps with "-XX% player life and mana recovery" is not advised but doablle by turning of Righterous Fire and playing more safely.

● AVOID doing map with "player cannot recover life and mana" as this map mod basically disables the purpose of this build.

● When killing bosses, spam Dark Pact until the mana cost hits almost 1k per cast (or when mana is low) and then switch on Vaal Clarity so you can keep on spamming.

● Vaal Clarity can also be used in situations whereby you took a large hit which nearly empty your mana but you still need to cast spells, so remember to use it when needed.

● If you have a Vaal Righteous Fire equipped, make sure to use it frequently.

Thanks for checking out my build and hope you enjoyed it.

Feel free to leave your comments or questions and I will get to it when I can : )
[3.7]Chaos Agnostic - CRAZY Life & Mana Sustain!!!:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2590042

[S1E8]Hideout of the week, Mausoleum of Bones: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1088469
Last edited by 174nana on Jul 31, 2019, 4:42:50 AM
Last bumped on Sep 17, 2019, 8:11:39 AM
Can be a league starter?
I'm fed up with the standard and thinking about starting in the legion league.
Yo I was woundering what the frost bolt Ice Nova Setup would be and if u could post the links to the Forum Please i just hit mapping and idk if its beacuse i am only lvl 69 or what but i die constantly
I just went all in and bought all the items, but it's my first time playing Dark Pact and was wondering if you could help out with the order of the direction one should take in the sill tree as well as if you leveled with a different skill and switched to Dark Pact later on or what? Thank you.
"
MacawLover wrote:
Can be a league starter?
I'm fed up with the standard and thinking about starting in the legion league.

If it is for the next league, it may depend on whether Legion gets integrated to core straight away or not.

It would also depend if there would be other ways to obtain The Agnostic keystone outside of the Timeless Jewel in the coming leagues.

That said, this build is a classic generic caster using Templar which can be leveled with any spell you feel like (even totems) and there is almost no leveling gear required.

Only when you hit maps the gear requirement would be best geared towards what I have listed in the build where possible.

Hope that helps :)

[S1E8]Hideout of the week, Mausoleum of Bones: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1088469
"
Yo I was woundering what the frost bolt Ice Nova Setup would be and if u could post the links to the Forum Please i just hit mapping and idk if its beacuse i am only lvl 69 or what but i die constantly

I leveled mostly with Freezing Pulse + First Snow Unique Jewels.

Yup, it definitely works with Frost Bolt + Ice Nova combo. Just need to redo the links and not bother with Chaos.

You can swap out Apep's Rage for a rare crafted Wand/Scepter with cast speed, spell damage and probably flat cold damage to spells.

"
GoldenGoblet wrote:
I just went all in and bought all the items, but it's my first time playing Dark Pact and was wondering if you could help out with the order of the direction one should take in the sill tree as well as if you leveled with a different skill and switched to Dark Pact later on or what? Thank you.

It is best to only start using Dark Pact once you hit around level 70 when you can also start using most of the unique items required.

I suggest leveling with Lifesprigs followed by Axiom Perpetuums or any better spell caster gear you can get.

For skill, I suggest either Frostbolt or Freezing Pulse along with 2 of their respective unique jewels for the extra projectiles.

There isn't really any priority when moving around the passive tree except mostly reaching most of the life and mana nodes and making sure you can get to Resolute Technique which will be converted to The Agnostic once you slot in the Timeless Jewel by around level 70 so the build can officially start.

Do let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Any chance of a POB link?
"
174nana wrote:
"
GoldenGoblet wrote:

It is best to only start using Dark Pact once you hit around level 70 when you can also start using most of the unique items required.

I suggest leveling with Lifesprigs followed by Axiom Perpetuums or any better spell caster gear you can get.

For skill, I suggest either Frostbolt or Freezing Pulse along with 2 of their respective unique jewels for the extra projectiles.

There isn't really any priority when moving around the passive tree except mostly reaching most of the life and mana nodes and making sure you can get to Resolute Technique which will be converted to The Agnostic once you slot in the Timeless Jewel by around level 70 so the build can officially start.

Do let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Thank you again for the build guide and for replying! It's a damn good build and fun to play even though I'm not that skilled when it comes to MoM. Sometimes it's easy and other times I'm dodging death left and right. I do like how mana flasks give life as well. Does make for a refreshing play style.

I've got all the items except for the shield. There aren't many in trade. There's a really good one for 1.5 ex that's popped up a few times with 15% reduced mana reserved for socketed gems but then I'd lose my capped resists. And it's not a caster shield. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get too far into end game or not but surely the right shield for this build would make a difference.

I also haven't completed the Merciless lab. I died what seemed instantly by a rare monster and figured I'd level up a bit more. I'd be going for Divine Guidence. I went for Arcane Blessing first, so maybe getting Divine Guidence first would have been the better choice.

Anyway, thanks again, buddy! I look forward to your future builds. :)
Last edited by GoldenGoblet on Jul 27, 2019, 12:17:38 AM
"
Hornet001 wrote:
Any chance of a POB link?

I didn't include a POB link cause the The Agnostic and the Timeless Jewel is not found in POB.

Also, the % increased spell damage from Indigon stacking can't be calculated in POB. I read that people make a pseudo jewel with X% increased spell damage to represent the potential damage gain.

If you really want a POB link, I can just load it up later and put it here but it won't represent the build properly.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info