[3.11] Bowcaster Fireball Deadeye - Now for staves!

"
MagnusParvus wrote:
"
Zibou37 wrote:
Hi and thanks for the build, im trying it in SSF actually and it's good, just need to switch to staff.
Just wanna ask a question about Cluster jewel, a cobalt crit jewel is better than all cluster jewel? I've just looted a Large with % fire damage and using it but maybe it's not worth.

I don't think the large fire cluster jewels are particularly good for this build. Many of the nodes only apply to ignite builds, and the ones that give % increased damage just aren't that strong when you consider the travel cost. The main issue I see with cluster jewels is that we already have access to pretty much everything we need right on the passive tree. Even if you get a perfect 8-passive, 2 socket large jewel, which is the most efficient, it eats into other points that we would have allocated on the tree without really providing a great deal extra.

Thanks for your answer, with the new changes to Large Cluster Jewel (2 jewel sockets) i think it's a very good option. we can have a 8 passive with 2 jewel sockets and 3 big node.
I know I'm late to the party here, but what is the apparent ceiling to the ranger playstyle? I love fireballing stuff and am up to level 78 but uber lab is going to be basically useless and I am feeling way too squishy with the base tree.

Any intention to tweak the OP with stuff learned from this league? I see that you're in the 90s but I don't know if anyone is still active with this build.
So, any update on this build. I'm currently leveling a Deadeye for it.

I'm not very familiar with high end crafting, will it be possible to craft a staff in the same way as with bows?

Any update would be very much appreciated thanks.
Keep in mind searing touch is a nice budget staff you can use early on.
"
StaxGames wrote:
So, any update on this build. I'm currently leveling a Deadeye for it.

I'm not very familiar with high end crafting, will it be possible to craft a staff in the same way as with bows?

Any update would be very much appreciated thanks.

The crafting approach I am taking is quite different than with bows. I am taking advantage of fracturing to lock a prefix and then essence spam on top of that.

One option is to alt spam an eclipse staff until you hit +2 to all spell gem levels (should take 1500-2000 alts), fracture that (you'll want to imprint the magic base first in case the fracture misses, so you can restore it), and then chaos or essence spam until you hit +3 fire gems. It will take around 400 tries to hit +3. Adding up the cost of all the steps, it should run around 10 ex to do. You'll then have a +5 staff which is pretty nice and you can continue crafting the other affixes from there. If you don't want to get crazy with repeated harvest crafting, I would probably try to remove all the other affixes with targeted anuls so you have just the gem level prefixes, augment cast speed, and finish with multimod spell damage/non-chaos as chaos and double damage. That would be a very, very good staff.

Another option which I am trying right now is to fracture T1 spell damage first, then spam for +2 all spell gem levels, and lastly harvest craft +3 fire gems, but it's a quite painstaking process and I haven't finished it yet. However, I think it will allow for an even higher end staff to be crafted. Here is that staff I have currently crafted -

You can ignore the lightning crafted mod, it's just temporary while I am in middle of crafting. I had crafted it to block the prefixes while I used a caster augment to slam spell crit. When I save up some more crafting materials I will continue working on the staff.
Last edited by MagnusParvus on Jul 12, 2020, 4:45:55 PM
"
Xetian wrote:
I know I'm late to the party here, but what is the apparent ceiling to the ranger playstyle? I love fireballing stuff and am up to level 78 but uber lab is going to be basically useless and I am feeling way too squishy with the base tree.

Any intention to tweak the OP with stuff learned from this league? I see that you're in the 90s but I don't know if anyone is still active with this build.

One thing you can do to help with defense is use the new Evil Eye cluster jewel passive. It's something I am experimenting with currently. So long as you have curse on hit, it will blind enemies so half of their attacks should miss. That will help a lot, although it won't necessarily stop one shots. I am also in the process of crafting my jewels to give more health and ES. I think with the tree as it is laid out we can aim to get around 7.5k combined, and we can use CWDT+steelskin for an additional 2k buffer.

One thing about this build from my experience is that if you cast and move in rapid succession you will mechanically dodge the vast majority of damage with not much effort. That is because the windup on most enemy skills takes a while and does not change the targeted position from where you last were, so they just end up missing as long as your cast speed and movement is high enough. That's a large part of why I emphasize cast speed everywhere on my gear. Mobility is a huge part of our defense.
Would it be possible to get the main post updated to remove the crafting section for bows with the aetheric fossils, getting that spell damage mod is not possible anymore and i ended up wasting near an ex of fossils trying to craft it before a friend told me it was not possible anymore as of 3.10.
Started the league with this build, and finally finished crafting the perfect staff.

Followed the method that MagnusParvus laid out.

1) Alt spam for t1 spell damage.

2) Imprint using bestiary, then regal and fracture prefix until you hit spell damage. Restore imprint and try again if you miss.

3) Spam perfect fossils until you get 30% quality, then harvest craft 1% elemental damage per 2% quality (only do this after you hit fracture on spell damage, so you don't reroll it)

4) Chaos spam for +2 to level of spell skill gems (800-900c average)

5) Craft cannot roll attack modifiers and fill out suffixes with non-fire modifiers you can remove easily (I used attack mods)

6) Remove/add fire harvest crafts until you hit +3 to level of fire spell skill gems. (this cost me about 30ex, but I hit t2 fire spell skill gems about 5 times, so you could cut off a lot of cost by settling for that, or getting lucky)

7) Bench craft critical strike chance for spells then aug caster for guaranteed cast speed. If you don't get a tier you're willing to keep, craft prefixes cannot change and remove/add caster until you hit good cast speed. This is much cheaper than remove/add speed.

8) Craft crit chance for spells to block, then aug crit. If you miss good tier multi, then remove bench craft, remove crit with harvest, put crit chance for spells bench craft back on, then aug crit again. Rinse and repeat until you get crit multi you're willing to keep. (T1 crit multi is 1/12 even with crit chance for spells blocked, this can get pricy. I put about 15ex into it)

9) Bench craft critical strike chance for spells (bench craft goes up to 105, normal mod t1 only goes up to 109 and would be a pain to get because you already have another caster mod and another crit mod, so bench craft is more than good enough here)

Total cost was about 50-55ex, but you can craft a really good staff for much less if you settle for T2 Level to Fire Spell Skill Gems and/or T2/T3 crit multi.

I also crafted every other non-unique piece of gear I'm wearing from scratch, like a crit chance/explode chest, +2 skill gems amulet, and assassin's mark ring. Hit me up in-game and I'd be willing to answer any questions anybody has.
Last edited by Feint_XO on Aug 12, 2020, 1:51:38 PM
Can i still do this build with bow? I know staff is better but i like the bow visual.
i would love to try this build, but i cant find any page,any picture of the tree.. can you link it at least please thx :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info