[3.10] Liggles' Immune Stormwall - crit/block staff cyclone | All content | HC

Hi, and welcome to my Stormwall Cyclone build guide. This build uses a (very!*) cheap unique staff (The Stormwall) in combination with the Scion ascendancy options, various passive nodes, and gear, to achieve a balanced combination of tankiness, life regen (12%+ a second), leech, ailment immunity and damage. This is currently a work in progress, but I have a path of building (up to 100) with my current gear (and some ideal gear options) available here: https://pastebin.com/npbv9TbZ

* The Stormheart, which upgrades to the stormwall via a prophecy, is currently going for (as of this writing) 15 chaos for a SIX LINK on legion (3.7) SC, and the prophecy to itself is 1 alch.

League updates

League updates will be posted here as and when I can update them.

*BUFFS!*

So, this league at level 88 on hardcore as of writing I effectively have:

• Immune to Reflect - witch ascendancy
  • Immune to Elemental Ailment - inquisitor ascendacy *on conc ground
  • Immune to Bleed - Death's door boots (the downside of which doesn't affect us to the immune to elemental ailments as above)
  • Immune to Curses - Hex breaker cluster jewel OR holy flame totem setup
  • Immune to poison - Antivenom cluster jewel or pantheon
  • Immune to on (most) death effects - most monsters will be frozen and therefore shatter on kill

3.10 POB pastebin (WIP): https://pastebin.com/4aBcBB4d

I decided to play delirium and I've been having a blast. I started on HC as the bleed gladiator/champ puncture build Zizaran put up as my league starter, and then I switched to this build out of curiosity to see how well it would do in Hardcore + seeing an almost perfect rolled stormheart for 30 chaos...

The benefits - big updates. Staff nodes have been buffed somewhat (+2 melee range, for example, on the endurance and crit staff node, instead of +1). The rest of the relevant tree seems mostly unchanged. The cluster jewels we can get are amazing - Overlord, Drive the destruction, Hex breaker, Precise focus, Fettle, Antivenom - there are so many that fit so neatly into the build and they're so easy to chop and change for relevant fights for only one regret (e.g. Antivenom for Al-Hezmin).

I have these 2 as a medium jewel with 1 more socket for a small jewel in my setup:

My damage is slightly lower than my 3.7 softcore char, but I've made some changes to be more tanky. I could massively (and simply) ramp up my damage by getting more crit multi (I'm at 100% crit) in place of health. I've got 7,100 hp at level 88, which for softcore you could easily drop the HP to get more crit multi on rings etc. Also - gear on SC is generally much more bountiful, so it's "easier" to trade for (good) gear.

Did not play due to WoW Classic

Did not play due to WoW Classic - though nothing much changed from what I can see. I *think* holy flame totem was added here, which could have been included for a source of consecrated ground + curse immunity.

Quick build showcase - more videos (and more to add) are in Section 7.0 - Videos

Face tanking a shaper slam (and showing shaper DPS) at level 87 without full pantheon upgrades (also: that regen is leech/life regen only - no life flask):

Corrupted t16 Minotaur with DPS flasks down at level 85:

Blocking without flasks:

1.0 Introduction

LEVEL 100 PATH OF BUILDING: https://pastebin.com/npbv9TbZ (Moderate gear)

LEVEL 90 PATH OF BUILDING BUDGET GEAR: https://pastebin.com/guyTdy1h

PATHOFEXILE.COM TREE

POEPLANNER TREE

* Note - The path of exile/poeplanner links don't show gear/gems - hence the 'wierdness' in some areas of the tree.

1.1 Build overview

I've been playing path of exile on and off since open beta in 2012 but I've never made a (genuinely successful) build on my own. I also wanted to do something strong, yet "off meta" - Not many people seem to be playing ele conversion staff crit block cyclone. According to poebuilds.io - not a single player in Legion/HC Legion/SSF Legion or SSF HC Legion is using the Stormwall.

So, preamble aside - let's get into things! This build uses a (very!) cheap unique staff (The Stormwall) in combination with the Scion ascendancy options, various passive nodes, and gear, to achieve a balanced combination of tankiness, life regen (12%+ a second), leech, ailment immunity and damage.

The stormwall is a great staff for myriad reasons:

• It's VERY cheap*
  • It has very high base phys
  • It gives 100% phys > ele conversion
  • It has very high base crit
  • It has 33% base attack block
  • It has a 30-40% chance to shock (for 20%) on block

* The Stormheart, which upgrades to the stormwall via a prophecy, is currently going for (as of this writing) 15 chaos for a SIX LINK on legion SC, and the prophecy itself is 1 alch.

Because we're using staves, we can pick up all the staff node goodies. This gives us endurance charge on crit, powercharge on block, armour on block, attack and spell block, and high crit chance.

So, we have a good and cheap weapon, some good defenses from staff block, high crit and 100% ele conversion. Now we can throw in some extras from the scion ascendancy options.

Templar - Inquistor.

• Crit multi vs enemies affected by ailments (basically permanent - as we're high crit meaning we'll apply ailments)
  • Elemental immunity on consecrated ground
  • Ele penetration
  • Nearby enemies take extra elemental damage
  • Chance to create consecrated ground on attack vs rare/unique

Witch - Elementalist.

• Elemental reflect immunity
  • Ele penetration
  • Increased effects of heralds, and we use two heralds
  • Shock always does a minimum of 10%
  • Can have two golems active

Now we're building synergy!

We're immune to all elemental affects, have good regen through the tree and consecrated ground (as we have multiple ways to generate consecrated ground - including flasks - but I'll come onto this later) and we're immune to ele reflect (phys isn't as issue as we have 100% conversion).

Poison immunity we can gave through the pantheon, and bleed immunity I get from my boots (Death's door); however, for a league starter you can get by without the boots, and just use a bleed removal flask.

1.2 Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Fast Clear
  • No Gem Swap
  • 6 Endurance charges with fast and auto generation
  • Moderate to high life pool
  • Moderate to high AoE and ST DPS
  • Can be a league starter
  • No need for flask micro management
  • Decently Tanky

Cons
  • Not taking loads of AoE Cyclone nodes makes it slower than other cyclone builds for mapping
  • Not amazing at the legion mechanic which requires huge AoE due to the above
  • Full ailment immunity (bleed) requires Death's Door boots which are 2ex+

2.0 - Skill Trees, Ascendancies & Leveling

2.1 - Ascendencies

1. Templar - Inquisitor
2. Witch - Elementalist
3. Path of the Templar

2.2 - Skill trees & Leveling

Level 100 - 128 points (https://pastebin.com/npbv9TbZ)

level 90 budget gear (https://pastebin.com/guyTdy1h)

2.2.1 - Mooginator's leveling guide

This amazing guide was put together in a reply to this guide by the awesome Mooginator, so all credit and thanks should go to him for this:

"
Mooginator wrote:
First, Liggles is awesome. Friendly and a very capable player. Second, this build is AWESOME, and I've taken Slayer & Champion Cyclone to 90+ and also done Zerker Cyclone. This is my favorite of all of them. The core reason is the mix of survivability with DPS and elemental damage (it's much more visually satisfying than pure phys). I'm currently L80 (made the character yesterday) and I've never had a single close call, emphasizing the fact it's hardcore viable. I also pull in well over 300M exp per map at L80. The build is fast. Waste Pools are your friend! While it doesn't have the AoE of Slayer (which is more than 2x in size) it just feels better with the damage combination of elemental paired with the HoA/HoP MTX.

So here's my leveling guide! Quick note - the DPS gets low around level 40-51 because we're using a L28 staff. Don't worry. When you switch to Martyr staff at 52 (for 8 levels until you can use your Stormwall) you won't have ANY DPS issues at all. Also, Molten Strike feels a bit clunky with a Staff. Don't worry, as soon as you hit 28 you switch to Cyclone and all is well.

Bandit: Kill All
Pantheon: Solaris/Shakari (Yugul for Shaper)
Temmplar(Inquisitor)->Witch(Elementalist->Path of Templar

Main: Cyclone+EDwA+Fort+FireDam+MPD+InfusedC
2H: Vengeance+Riposte+CoC+PurFlame || Chaos+Ice Golem
Gloves: FA+Leap
Boots: CWDT+MolShe+ID || EleWeak
Helm: Precision+HoA+HoP+BaS

Leveling Skills
Molten Strike + Ancestral Call + everything you use with Cyclone. Replace MS with Cyclone @ 28 and drop AC.

Leveling Items
1: 2x Brightbeak (Weapons)
1: Tabula Rasa (Chest)
1: Goldrim (Helm)
1: Lochtonial Caress (Gloves)
1: Wanderlust (Boots)
1: 2x Blackheart (Iron Rings)
5: Karui Ward (Amulet)
8: Meginord's Girdle (Belt)
13: Realmshaper (Staff)
22: Praxis (Ring)
24: Le Heup of All (Ring)
28: Stormheart (Staff)
28: Gifts from Above (Ring)
28: Daresso's Salute (Amulet - when switch to Cyclone)
35: Meganord's (Gloves)
52: Martyr of Innocence (Staff)
60: Stormwall (Staff)

Skill Progression
Constitution
Warrior's Blood
Steelwood Stance
Precision
Smashing Strikes
(Resistance Nodes)
Divine Judgment
Divine Wrath
Ophidian Aim
Blunt Trauma
One with the River
Serpent Stance
Purity of Flesh
Disembowling
Barbarism
2x Might of the Meek
(Nodes right of Warrior's Blood)
Transcendent Flesh Node
Endurance Node

Rest is health & Unnatural Instinct when you can afford it!

2.2.2 - Liggles' leveling guide

* TO BE COMPLETED *

2.3 - League starter

This build should be a pretty good choice for a league starter as the weapon is extremely cheap. You can farm up currency to hit endgame (shaper, uber elder) as you then progress through maps. Section 4.3 goes over the budget gearing options, and here is a level 90 budget gear PoB (https://pastebin.com/guyTdy1h)

I posted this in a reply on this thread about how to get a 6link stormwall as a 'league starter' (assuming you have no chaos). *Prices might fluctuate - this was true at the time of writing for Legion SC!

"
Grab yourself one of these (stormheart) 6 linked, and buy the prophecy to upgrade it for 1alch: http://poe.trade/search/onarikatokikah (you're just getting the 6 link stormheart on the cheap, here, you'll be getting a non-linked stormwall for level 60)

Then, for level 60, also buy a pre-upgraded (unlinked) stormwall for (as of right now) 3 chaos, and use that to finish the story/get to the map you need to upgrade your 6link stormheart. You can use a 4 to 5link chest (or 4-5 stormwall if you get 5 linked) for your cyclone setup during story/white maps with the non 6link stormwall (the prophecy is in a t10 map - but that should be easily doable at a reasonable level if you just run it as a white map and go for the boss). Once you have the 6 link stormwall you can replace your chest with a decent 'stat' chest - e.g. a defensive astral plate.

2.4 - Pantheon

I tend to upgrade all my pantheons, and switch out depending on the fight/mods. However the following are probably the most important to this build:

Major
  • Soul of Solaris provides many really nice defensive benefits for when you actually get hit

Minor
  • Soul of Shakari. Poison Immunity.
  • Soul of Yugul (upgraded) 5% Reduced cold damage taken if hit recently. Good for Über Elder / Shaper.

3.0 Bandits
Kill them all, or help alira. I need to properly sim which is better on Path of Building. I killed them all in my run through, but it's possible/likely Alira is better as we start hitting at 60-70% crit chance.

4.0 Gear, Gems & Links

4.1 Gear used in 3.7 Legion

WEAPON:

Pretty self-explanatory - the build revolves around this. High crit, high phys, 33% attack block, 100% phys > ele conversion and chance to shock (for 20%) on block.

ARMOUR:

Ideally this would have cyclone enchants but they're expensive and this was a really good defensive option for me.

I crafted this, and I'd say it's a kinda BiS chest armour as it gives us a 7 link cyclone setup.

Intimidate gives us 10% more attack damage vs the enemy, and Tombfist are just generally great gloves

Defensive stygian. When I'm richer I'll get one with a high elemental damage with attacks mod.

Bleed immunity, res, life, high armour and an extra endurance charge. The downside doesn't even affect us either, due to the fact we're almost always on consecrated ground which makes us immune to elemental ailments.

JEWELLERY:

Gives me some leech, life, and extra phys as fire, which is huge for this build.

All around good item - good defensive and offensive mix. The -mana cost to skills means cyclone costs 1 mana on a 7 link setup.

This ring is cheap and SO good for this build. Crit chance, chance to trigger consecrate ground on crit, 50% increased damage whilst on consecrated ground (which we are - a lot!) and 5% extra block on consecrated ground. So much utility for the minor cost.

Might of the meek - we can use this with the scion life wheel to massively pump up the life % we get, and the resistances/life regen. See my PoB for it to make more sense!

Unnatural instinct - not required, and I've removed it in the budget version (TBC) - but this gives us lots of good small passives for 'free'

Transcendent flesh - not required, and I've removed it in the budget version (TBC) - but this gives BIG damage and some phys damage reduction

Pure talent - we are connected to THREE starting areas - so we get the templar bonus (ele pen), the marauder bonus (inc AoE range) and the scion bonus (25 all stats)

FLASKS:

Standard life flask. I should remove the bleed mod on this.

Atziris is great for this build. We get 35% more damage with it up and good leach (and with my current gear, 75% chaos res).

Extra block, spell block, and armour, for relatively small cost.

40% increased damage and immunity to everything while this up (as it gives curse immunity from the flask, and we already have immunity to everything else)

Movement flask - a diamond flask would be a better DPS option.

4.2 Gems and Links

MAIN 6 LINK SETUP:

Standard 6 link setup for an ele conversion cyclone build. Infused channeling also gives us extra physical damage and AoE damage reduction, and fortify means we're a bit tankier. I have this in my body armour, so I get a free level 1 maim, too.

MOVEMENT:

Self explanatory

CWDT:

This gives us a molten shell that procs pretty often for a little over 1k without a granite flask up. You can change this up to a higher CWDT level and use steelskin, or even immortal call. Lots of options here.

CURSE:

I manually cast this as it's such a big DPS upgrade for us. It lasts for ages, and it is easy to cast on bosses (only time I use it). I don't have it on CWDT as I want it on demand + high level.

AURAS:

Fairly standard aura setup. I need to sim the all heralds vs hatred properly, but this is what I'm using through intuition, and it's working

UTILITY:

Vengeance and Riposte on CoC Purifying flame, Chaos Golem + Flame Golem

Vengeance triggers on hit, and we have little to no evasion, so we get hit a lot (a block counts as a 'hit'). With our high crit, this triggers A LOT so I always have my chaos golem (extra phys reduction) and flame golem (more damage) up. Purifying flame is also good as it creates consecrated ground.

I'm tempted to take off riposte and throw in a second cyclone so I can have it more on demand. Perhaps even take off vengeance too (for bosses) and have wave of conviction so we can get the debuff that gives on a second cyclone (we only have to spin for a few seconds)

4.3 Budget gear options

TBC - but please see my budget level 90 tree https://pastebin.com/guyTdy1h for some examples.

Helmet:

Rare helmet with life and resistances.

Belt:

Good rare stygian or:
:

Boots:

Any rare with movespeed, life, and res.

Gloves:

1 socket tombfist for intimidate (if not using belt of the deceiver) otherwise a good rare or Meginord's vise (1c unique)

Body armour:

Wall of brambles is a decent and cheap choice, especially through leveling. Otherwise an astral plate with life and res. If you can, get socketed gems are supported by level 1 maim, too.

Neck:

Rare with life, resistances you're missing, crit damage/multi, extra phys as elemental. If you want leech, ensure you get "x% cold/fire/lightning leeched as life" too.

Rings:

This is cheap and so good it's worth putting in the budget options

A rare kinda like this. The -mana cost of skills is imperative, as it makes your cyclone cost 1 mana/be 'free'.

5.0 Tips and tricks

• Switch to blood stance before bosses, and back to sand for map clear (The amount of times I forget to do this and sit in sand stance forever...)
  • Keep your quicksilver up for speed during maps, and get one with recharges on crit
  • Pre-channel cyclone to get infused channeling before you engage a boss
  • If you're using the 5link utility setup in weapon/chest with CoC summon golems, take CoC out and manually cast the golems before a boss if they're not alive
  • Precast rumil's concoction and your sulphur (consecrated ground) flask as you engage a hard boss
  • Remember to cast ele weakness on hard bosses, it's a major dps increase
  • Perhaps the most important tip (for poe in general!) - learn how to set up search filters on poe.trade/the main site - you can snipe some really good deals this way

6.0 FAQ and Priorities

* TO BE COMPLETED *

7.0 Videos

Corrupted t15 Desert Spring with the worst possible damage mods for the build (reduced crit damage, ele equilibrium) and a divine vessel on the boss:

Video

9.0 Changelog

• 14/04/2020: Updated intro
  • 14/04/2020: Fixed issue with wrong image
  • 14/04/2020: Added league update section + 3.10 update and POB link
  • 29/06/2019: Added shaper gif
  • 27/06/2019: Updated bandits
  • 27/06/2019: Updated league starter section
  • 27/06/2019: Added Mooginator's levelling guide
  • 25/06/2019: Fixed formatting
  • 25/06/2019: Added tips and tricks
  • 25/06/2019: Added t15 map video
  • 23/06/2019: Updated title
  • 23/06/2019: Added corrupted t16 minotaur gif
  • 23/06/2019: Added blocking gif
  • 23/06/2019: Added budget gear examples
  • 23/06/2019: Added gem links
  • 23/06/2019: Added some jewels
  • 23/06/2019: Added budget gear PoB link
  • 23/06/2019: Added ending comment
  • 23/06/2019: Useful links section updated
  • 23/06/2019: Gear update + justifications
  • 23/06/2019: Build guide first published

Questions? Please check the FAQ first, and then post a comment in this thread if you can't find an answer there. If you want me or someone else to check the gear on you character, please ensure that your character tab is not set to private.
Builds:
[3.7] Liggles' Immune Stormwall - crit/block staff cyclone | All content | Budget options
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2554720
Last edited by Liggles on Apr 14, 2020, 2:23:05 PM
Last bumped on Jan 19, 2021, 10:03:11 PM
Reserved.
Builds:
[3.7] Liggles' Immune Stormwall - crit/block staff cyclone | All content | Budget options
I am going to give this build a try.

Very very unique take on cyclone and I have been itching to play an ascendant. I will let you know how leveling goes today.

Looked up the gear on trade site and it is indeed very cheap :D
About to try this too but pn ps4.

6link storm heart cost me 1ex here.

I was surprised *anyone* had a 6 link stormheart lol.

There were like 4 for sale. The one i bought was colored correctly for cyclone tho: 1g1b4r

Will update on my experience.
"
kandidar wrote:
About to try this too but pn ps4.

6link storm heart cost me 1ex here.

I was surprised *anyone* had a 6 link stormheart lol.

There were like 4 for sale. The one i bought was colored correctly for cyclone tho: 1g1b4r

Will update on my experience.

Let me know how it goes :)

Honestly I think the same - Do some people just throw the odd fusing at random items and get lucky?! Do they have them drop 6 linked? Heh. The prophecy upgrade requires mapping, but you can either do that for yourself in advance if you have an existing mapping char, or look to buy a stormwall itself (they're cheap on Legion SC on PC too for what they are - around 80 chaos for a 6link) if you want it at level 60.
Builds:
Wow. Great looking build. Really thinking outside the box here I woulda never come up with this haha. Very cool will need to try this out.no need to have two 6Ls correct?
"
rozakk wrote:
Wow. Great looking build. Really thinking outside the box here I woulda never come up with this haha. Very cool will need to try this out.no need to have two 6Ls correct?

Thanks! :) I'm not a fan of spellcasters on the whole so I was really hype this league with the melee changes - but at the same time I didn't wanna do a standard cyclone/impale slayer or zerker - so I worked on this!

But to answer your question - yeah, my second 6-link is just utility stuff with vengeance - CoC golem summons + purifying flame. You could manually summon the golems, or have a 4/5 link with cyclone/CoC > Golems/Purifying flame (or however you want) and just spin for a few seconds with that two summon the golems/apply consecrated ground. So you can get the weapon 6-linked for cheap, and then get a stat stick astral plate chest (like mine, but not linked) also cheap and just have one 6-link setup.
Builds:
You know I need to try it and I feel confident, that will get to lvl 90 with this build in HC!

Oh and one very important thing for 1.0

You can convert the links directly to a clickable link with the URL thing in the header

e.g.
LEVEL 100 POEPLANNER

is working like this [#url="link"]name[/url] (remove #)

EDIT:
You can also add multiple trees in POB for leveling (best I think to put is in the budget version) and clear up your items so we can imagine how much res we need and what could be the average life like this for the example
Last edited by nikidino8 on Jun 23, 2019, 7:12:30 PM
A few thoughts, questions, notes:

1. Ice Golem instead of Flame Golem should suit the build better. If you want more offense, remove Chaos Golem instead.
2. I'm curious what triggers more often, Riposte or Vengeance (guess the hit based one). I'd remove one of them and replace it with your already suggested Wave of Conviction.
3. Rage looks quite good instead of Added Fire for Cyclone, especially when combined with a 1L Berserk. It's ramp-up damage though.
4. Maybe Chain Hook fits better than Leap Slam when you use Berserk, I'm personally a Leap Slam fan and didn't try out Chain Hook yet as mobility skill.
5. Activating flasks in PoB is...meh. Also the shock flag is...meh, bc it gives the maximum possible shock, i.e. 50% instead of the 10% elementalist one and falsifies dps.
6. A Lethal Pride jewel is very good for staff users (can be socketed next to RT). I use that spot for my Pillar Champ and get nice offense and defense (crit multi, stronger Fortify effect, reduced incoming crit damage etc.). Also it gives strength = life for the smaller nodes. Depending on the jewel one can take more notables in that area (life + reduced mana, Endurance charge, reduced incoming crit damage).
7. There's still room for a banner (War banner for accuracy or Dread banner for defense) in case you feel comfortable with your mana.
8. What about a Precision Watcher's Eye? The flask one seems nice or the crit multi one.
9. How good/bad is the knockback from Blunt Trauma? I hear Knockback is generally annoying for Cyclone, e.g. with Lion's Roar. Does Empire's Grasp make sense? You'd lose Intimidate that way though.
10. Blood Rage is a solid option. Shouldn't be noticable with your high regen (and leech increases).
Last edited by olsev_baiden on Jun 24, 2019, 3:26:22 AM
Started a new Scion the moment this build went live and it is performing VERY well. I used molten strike until I got clone. Still low level so will update on more of the leveling process.
Last edited by Prime_Kronos on Jun 24, 2019, 8:32:04 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info