[3.7] Throwing Ice || Spectral Shield Throw 100% Cold Conversion || All Content || Hardcore Viable

Do everything, easily.

PoB:
https://pastebin.com/UR3kUMYM

My Character (work in progress):
https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/skyscan/characters?characterName=StingAndBite

Summary

>7k+ Life (208% Life from passive tree, 5 jewels)

>1m+ Shaper DPS (no flasks up, no charges up)

>40/30% Dodge/Spell Dodge, 20% Less Damage (Wind Dancer), Fortify, 3 Endurance Charges, lv20 Steelskin

Videos

Deathless Uber Elder https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jziRH8VlhJ4
SST still chains even on invulnerable targets.

Shaper Kill https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jfrq0D66oY
Only shows last phase, but the fight is trivial.

T16 Clear Speed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd5nkCYZdzU
Didn't show boss kill, because it took 2x as long as the rest of the map.

About the build

Scaling Damage with Armour, SST's base damage is determined by both the gem level and the amount of armour/evasion of your shield. The difference between a 2500 armour and 3000 armour shield is around 10% damage.

Divide and Conquer, new threshold jewel for Spectral Shield Throw. It gives +4 chains at the cost of 75% less shards. However, each chain outputs shards, so with 5 chains and helm enchant that's 6 shield hits, with 6 shards each (36 total projectiles each cast). It feels like a cross between Tornado Shot and Arc.

Deadeye, gives use the incredible Ricochet node. Because the new jewel gives us +4 chain for free, this node gives us an extra 50% more single target damage. It's a big reason SST is viable for boss killing now.

100% Conversion to Cold, let's us take advantage of a plethora of cold damage scaling. It's definitely the strongest option for SST.

Elemental Overload, is one example of why cold conversion is so strong, especially because Deadeye means we can easily get to 100% accuracy. Scaling crit has too many compromises to be worth it

Acro/Phase Acro might seem like an odd choice because our shield gives use a huge amount of armor and block. But neither helps us against spells, so Phase Acrobatics makes the character feel a lot tankier.

Point Blank is another odd option considering Deadeye give us Far Shot. It's up to you whether you're comfortable using point blank, but it does output more damage

How to get to 100% Cold

Mod on Gloves - 25%
Winter Spirit Passive - 40%
Watcher's Eye #% of Physical Converted to Cold While Affected by Hatred - 35%
----
=100% Conversion to cold

Cheaper Option:
Winter Spirit Passive - 40%
Hrimsorrow Gloves - 50%
----
=90% Conversion to cold

Timeless Jewel "Lethal Pride" can also provide 10% phys to cold conversion as a bonus to get full 100% Cold conversion without watcher's eye.

Gems

Spectral Shield Throw + Elemental Damage With Attacks + Vicious Projectiles + Energy Shield Leech + Hypothermia + Cold Penetration + (lv 1 Maim from Body Armour Mod)

Ancestral Protector + Multiple Totems + Culling Strike
Hatred
Herald of Ice or Aspect of the Spider
Frost Bomb + Spell Cascade + Increased Duration
Cast When Damage Taken + Increased Duration + Immortal Call/Steelskin
Enduring Cry
{Movement Skill} + Faster Attacks + Fortify
Blood Rage

You may also need Precision to push your accuracy to 100%, in my case it was a lv 2 Precision, but results may vary depending on how much accuracy your gear provides.

Blood rage will also ensure you are always leeching energy shield for the maximum damage bonus.

Timeless Jewels Info

All you need is the Deshret version of Brutal Restraint to utilize the Wind Dancer keystone. Any keystone within the radius will convert to wind dancer. There are 2 jewel sockets you can viably use, so be sure to check both to see which benefits are better for the jewel seed you have. Because Brutal Restraint only gives benefits it's not necessary to get a perfect/good one.

Notable Locations

Do not take Ash,Frost and Storm unless your jewel is giving you a good bonus. The bonuses for my jewel are in the spoiler below:

How to Create 3k Armour Shield for ~5-6ex

Step 1 - Obtain an ilvl86 Colossal Tower Shield Base
Step 2 - Improve its quality with either perfect fossils, or syndicate crafting bench
> You can get 30% quality from beastiary, but it corrupts it so do it last if you use this option
Step 3 - Spam Dense fossils with single socket resonator until you get 2 t1 armour prefix mods and 1 empty prefix.
Step 3.5 - If you have a bad prefix you can risk using an annul on it
Step 4 - Scour the suffix away using "prefixes cannot be changed"
Step 5 - Multimod on %armour/life, str/%quality, and double damage
Step 5.5 - If you didn't use perfect fossils go to either the syndicate crafting bench or bestiary to improve past 20% quality.

Picture Tutorial

Important Gear Choices

Explanations in spoilers

Jewels

Divide and Conquer makes the build work, and the Hatred conversion Watcher's eye gets us to 100% conversion.

For rares we want damage/attack speed/life/resistances. Keep in mind any "Increased Damage with X Weapon" doesn't work.

Gloves

You can either craft on, or get temple mod for 25% conversion to cold. You don't need a perfect 25%, because Watcher's Eye can go up to 40% conversion. If you don't have Watcher's Eye yet you can use Hrimsorrow. The best mod is "% Increased Damage Against Chilled Enemies", it goes up to 50%. If you're able to, craft on projectiles pierce mod as well.

Body Armour

You'll want to look for supported by Maim body armours. The mana cost mod is nice, but you can always craft that onto your rings and amulet if need be. You can also use Lioneye's Vision for the free pierce support.

If you have at least 7 shaper items you can use Eternity Shroud. If you manage to get all shaper items then it's worth the trade-off of losing the -mana, and less life.

Loreweave is also a great option.

Belt

With up to 90% increased damage, all resist, and Flask charges gain The Nomad is nearly best in slot. Alternatively you can use a stygian vise, which can fill out resistances, provide more life, and give similar amounts of damage.

Rings

Curse on Hit Frostbite is all we're really looking for on rings. Be sure to fill out resists, get life, and also possibly cold damage, accuracy, and flat phys. Mark of the Elder is also a strong option if your CoH ring is a Shaper ring.

Weapon

Look for a weapon with Phys-to-Cold scaling and elemental penetration with an open prefix to craft on %cold damage. If you're able you can get another phys to X element mod, but crafting % cold is stronger, so be sure to get that first. I used The Princess up until 85ish.

Amulet

Shaper amulets can also have phys to cold scaling mod, as well as ele penetration. You'll also want life and resistances as well.

Helm

Find a 5 proj SST enchant helm and then spam Frigid+Pristine for -% cold resistance and good life. Other mods are accuracy, and resistances. If you're able to, craft on projectiles pierce mod as well.

Flasks

These 2 unique flasks is more damage scaling, Taste of Hate is more important than Atziri's Promise.

If you happen to balance resists you can swap Taste of Hate with The Wise Oak.

Boots

Boots are mainly for filling out resistances and life. You can also use Brinerot Whalers for more damage. Elder boots have endurance charge on kill which is a nice mapping bonus.

Mics.

Ascendency Order
Tailwind > Far Shot > Ricochet > Fast and Deadly

Bandits

Kill all

Pantheons

Soul of Lunaris for Dodge or Soul of Solaris for Crit Reduction
Soul of Shakari for poison immunity

Lab Enchants
Gloves - Any
Boots - Life Regen, Movement Speed, or Spell Dodge
Helm - Additional Projectiles from SST

Brief Leveling Guide

From Level 12 onwards I played spectral shield throw, but I wouldn't recommend it until you have the Divide and Conquer threshold jewel. On your passive tree you'll want to head straight to Elemental Overload in the witch area, you should get there around level 40. At level 30 pick up the unique shield "Titucius' Span". You can use that until you find a better shield around level 60.

Without a Tabala Rasa SST has pretty low damage early on. So if you don't have a tabula try using frost blades until you find one or reach end game.

FAQ

Why did you take elemental equilibrium?
I didn't, it got "converted" into Wind Dancer.

Why not use both The Wise Oak and Taste of Hate?
Because Taste of Hate gives +50% cold res while in use, which imbalances resistances. Unless of course you only use 1 at a time, but at that point just use Atziri's Promise + one of them.

Can I go crit?
Not recommended, it's much more difficult to gear with little-to-no benefit.

Can I play this in SSF?
As of July 2019 Divide and Conquer isn't offered as a quest reward, so you'd have to find it by chance. If you do, then definitely. But you'd had to go the physical variant until you also find Hrimsorrow.

What about using Aspect of the Spider instead of Herald of Ice?
Aspect of the Spider gives more damage against bosses, but Herald of Ice provides much better clear speed. Either option works.

How do I kill Atziri?
You don't.

Why are you using Energy Shield Leech Support?
Because it gives a 39% more multi, it's the next best damage support.

Credits

banner image from https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8mqRn
other builds: Spider Bros https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2302798
Last edited by FoldedCorner on Jul 18, 2019, 2:23:37 AM
Last bumped on Sep 19, 2019, 6:12:03 AM
How would you get 6 shard projectiles? As far as I can tell from your PoB, you have 14 base, +5 from helm enchant to make 19. 75% less makes that 4.75, which rounds up to 5, not 6.
"
Thezanman wrote:
How would you get 6 shard projectiles? As far as I can tell from your PoB, you have 14 base, +5 from helm enchant to make 19. 75% less makes that 4.75, which rounds up to 5, not 6.

I honestly do not know why it fires 6, but it does.

My best guess is this Ceiling(14*.25)+Ceiling(5*.25)=6, but maybe I'm missing something?

Last edited by FoldedCorner on Jun 20, 2019, 1:12:32 PM
Maybe the first projectile is not calculated in the reduction in order to make certain it is never less than 1? That would make it 1 + 18 * 0.25 = 1 + 4.5 = 5.5, rounded to 6.
"
Serdoa wrote:
Maybe the first projectile is not calculated in the reduction in order to make certain it is never less than 1? That would make it 1 + 18 * 0.25 = 1 + 4.5 = 5.5, rounded to 6.

That must be it, that works.
Last edited by FoldedCorner on Jun 22, 2019, 3:30:08 AM
"Winter Spirit Passive - 40%"

Only says 20% for me. am i missing something?
"
Zastrow wrote:
"Winter Spirit Passive - 40%"

Only says 20% for me. am i missing something?

The node leading to it also provides 20%. So 40% total when you have Winter Spirit.
"
skyscan wrote:

Mics.

Ascendency Order
Commander of Darkness > Mistress of Sacrifice > Puppet Master > Invoker

Bringing to attention, copy paste mistake?
Last edited by Viktranka on Jun 25, 2019, 7:29:37 AM
"
Viktranka wrote:
"
skyscan wrote:

Mics.

Ascendency Order
Commander of Darkness > Mistress of Sacrifice > Puppet Master > Invoker

Bringing to attention, copy paste mistake?

Haha, yeah. Let me changed it, thanks.
What are your thoughts on 5 bonus projectiles vs 40% damage for the spectral shield throw enchant on the helmet?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info