Can GGG ever get over its speed fetish?

Let's pretend if there is no timer. You run/jump/charge/warp through and mobs dead. That's not bad. Now you need more mobs and there you have stronger mobs re-spawn buffing each other.

You got some struggles against them. They drop various unique and rare items. Time to figure what can be done with those awesome loots and prepare for the bigger and dangerous fights.

It's not punitive game design but rewarding game design with a hardcore grinding.
Stop Bombing Syria
/Flu_prevention_mode ON
Moment Joon 【Passport & Garcon】https://bit.ly/2wXiUSj
MonoNeon 【Put On Earth For You】https://bit.ly/3I22mru
I have to wonder if GGG wasn't more afraid of the alternative of people often popping more monsters than they could handle and dying, especially after how people seemed to react to Betrayal. Which backlash do you think would be worse? Would it be the current issue where people are wishing they could unlock more mobs, or the opposing issue where league encounters are thought of as "too rippy" and people start ignoring them? Just reading people's thoughts here and on Reddit, people seem to be engaging more readily in Legion's mechanics than they did with Betrayal, which was often "locked away" because people were afraid of the content. Chris did refer to the unlocking as a sort of DPS check, at least in part designed to gauge if players are ready for the content.

I'm not saying that it's necessarily better this way, but I have to wonder if there wouldn't be more complaints were it the other way.

EDIT: Full disclosure I personally would prefer to be able to more consistently unlock everything in monoliths (I do okay as-is but...) as the insanity of Flicker in large Legion spawns makes me rather giddy. I do feel like it would result in more deaths though, which I would personally be okay with given the upside, but don't know if the overall reaction would be so positive. GGG still seems traumatised by seeing players over-extend in the pre-mapping system and quit, and I wouldn't be surprised if that played into their design for Legion.
Last edited by dummyacct7 on Jun 16, 2019, 6:56:30 PM
You don't have to fight all legion mobs at once. Kiting is a thing and they start hitting each other if they don't see you. With Betrayal you had to engage all of them at once.
"
A build has to be balanced between clear speed and tankiness. It's very easy to build a tanky, but to make its balanced require careful planning ( unless you just copy a build ). The game doesn't have to reward the bad builds.

There is a difference between "not rewarding" a thing and "actively punishing" that same thing. I feel this game strays far too much towards the latter when it comes to build diversity.

There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that this game would massively increase its playerbase if it promoted more player choice and build diversity than it currently does. Everywhere you look at beginner tips for the game, or beginners' guides online or whatever, the first sentence you hear almost every time is "do not build a character yourself, follow a build online instead". That's a HUGE turn-off. I think a heck of a lot of people stop reading right there and move onto to a game that they perceive as more accessible.
Did you know level 91 is the halfway point to level 100? This means that a softcore character dying ONCE at level 85+ can lose many days of progress.
"
GhostlightX wrote:

There is a difference between "not rewarding" a thing and "actively punishing" that same thing. I feel this game strays far too much towards the latter when it comes to build diversity.

There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that this game would massively increase its playerbase if it promoted more player choice and build diversity than it currently does. Everywhere you look at beginner tips for the game, or beginners' guides online or whatever, the first sentence you hear almost every time is "do not build a character yourself, follow a build online instead". That's a HUGE turn-off. I think a heck of a lot of people stop reading right there and move onto to a game that they perceive as more accessible.

You have to have certain amount of knowledge and research first before you can make a decent build yourself. That advice is correct. You wouldn't want your first in the game to be ruined with a complete garbage build, which if it's your first build it certainly. You have plenty of time to try out new builds once you have some experience.

You have to have an open mindset to realize there are still plenty of viable builds out there. If you just look at flavor of the month, or some statistics on PoE.Ninja and see that everyone is playing Cyclone and then proclaim that there is no build diversity then it's very hard for someone else to burst that bubble.
"
Slow character is just bad character. The whole game is about killing monsters, taking loot => You kill less, you get less. No amount of changes will change that. You talk about game play skill, I ask you : what skill is there when your character can just facetank everything? Given the spammy nature of spells in this game, the only gameplay skill is dodging, and that's exactly the trade off of high DPS character : high DPS characters actually require more skill than tanky characters.

A build has to be balanced between clear speed and tankiness. It's very easy to build a tanky, but to make its balanced require careful planning ( unless you just copy a build ). The game doesn't have to reward the bad builds.

Well said.

Problem with this people is that they feel like the game needs to be what they want it to be, without realizing what term gameMETA stands for. gameMeta = Dominance. Domination of strong over weak. Reason why MOST people play certain builds is because they get something from it. And as you said we all know what that is (LOOOOOOOT)
This old people who like to take things slow are generation that lived prior to internet. They are raised differently, have different values, and different world views. And so i get that to a certain degree, but what i don't get is the inability to adapt. Adapt to situation, embrace the future and move on.

Last edited by Malamojapruskisatelitu on Jun 20, 2019, 8:29:14 AM
I went back to hardcore this league.

For a slower pace.

Best thing I've done in PoE in ages.
There's devils on each side of you with bottles in their hands.
You need one more drop of poison and you'll dream of foreign lands.
Once you go zoom-zoom, you can never go back.
blah blah melee is slow for you, your arc is way 2 fast, wanna race my wanderfinder through strand for 5 ex ?

to be honest, why in hell would anybody prefer to go slow than fast ?
i dont understand it, what do you want to do in Maps ? pick up all the magic items and ID them hoping for a double t1 ?
Picking up Portal scrolls because "yOu cAn NeVeR haVe EnOugH" ?
"
Kane1992 wrote:
blah blah melee is slow for you, your arc is way 2 fast, wanna race my wanderfinder through strand for 5 ex ?

to be honest, why in hell would anybody prefer to go slow than fast ?
i dont understand it, what do you want to do in Maps ? pick up all the magic items and ID them hoping for a double t1 ?
Picking up Portal scrolls because "yOu cAn NeVeR haVe EnOugH" ?

dont get me wrong, but like some People said, once you go zoom zoom you never go back.
Also some People just prefer to go bonkers while mapping, i see you my fellow wanderfinders and autobombers, [Removed by Support]

even if they increased quant over time in a fight, id never go slow, no Patience for this i wanna go stupid dumb fast, Nothing else
Last edited by Ian_GGG on Jun 21, 2019, 8:24:24 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info