[3.7] Brittleknee's Scourge Arrow Trickster - All Content! Ready for Legion!

[3.7]Brittleknee’s Scourge Arrow Trickster - All Content! Ready for Legion!

Greetings, Exiles! I’m Brittleknee!

I started playing PoE in Harbinger league, and really love this game. I’ve started to branch off into build creation and I’m excited to share this one with you guys. Very different from my norm of minion/summoner builds, I had an absolute blast playing this and will be starting 3.7 with it as my leaguestarter.

Like most Scourge Arrow builds, this has a top end that can get quite ridiculous, both in damage numbers and exalts, but the initial investment for the build is around 100-120C. This will get you a comfortable shaper and red elder kill, as well the more shallow delve bosses. I had to implement a bow-swap for to get my first U-Elder, but altogether that swap only adds about 60-80C to the build.

You can stop there, or keep going as I did, and make quick, easy work out of U-Elder, Aul and the like with a nice, Fossil-Crafted Shaper Bow.

I hope you enjoy playing it as much as I do!

Check out the Media section below for kill videos/clips!

Catch me Streaming on Twitch or in game as @Brittleknee!

Legion Update

Yay, it’s time for Bre- I mean Legion!

While the focus for this league will be melee, I plan on starting with this character in order to quickly progress my atlas and start bossing as quickly as possible. Maybe, just maybe, some halfway decent elemental bows will be easy finds early on. While highly dependant on certain uniques to be functional, they are not terribly expensive. With the changes to Scourge Arrow’s behavior around doorways, you may not need to link anything but your chestpiece as well, which is nice. Unless of course you prefer Rain of Arrows for general clear.

Due to the changes in the passive tree, we're now able to add both Blind and Phasing into the build, which will be quite nice. Everyone will get Blind due to the new nodes where King of the Hill used to be, but for those with Lioneye's Jewel, the Dagger "From the Shadows" wheel just south of Acro/Phase Acro allows for Phasing during Delve/Mapping. Should be quite nice!

I am excited to learn about these new legion jewels, and to see if there are any interactions that will benefit the build further.

Have a great league!
<3BK

Path of Building Links:

Low Investment:

Hopeshredder Swap:

End of League Gear:

1.0. Introduction

1.1. Pros & Cons

Pros:
This build can do all content! Though not extremely impressive in Delves 500+ with patience you could hit 600 for End Game Grinds.

• Bosser - Has cleared all Boss content including Red Elder, Shaper, Uber Atziri, Uber Elder, All Delve Bosses, Mastermind and the briefly-lived Synth bosses.
  • Mapper - With the doorway fixes or perhaps a Rain of Arrows setup, this isn’t the worst mapper in the world.
  • Forgiving - Stacking dodge and evasion results in a very forgiving build. If you’re still learning the mechanics of the game, this build will allow you to learn damage patterns without being one-shot as often since you will evade or dodge most of the damage monsters do. Smaller hits that do come through are easily leached through.
  • League Starter - You can start this build for around 100-120C, which is a pretty decent setup. You can also level Brands if you have a witch friend or can buy the gems which is ezpz leveling.

Cons:
There are, however, a few drawbacks to the build which include the following:

• Occasionally Squishy - If anything strips your defenses, you are dead considering you have about 4-4.5k life on a good day. This rarely happens, but can happen more frequently on maps with: “Dodge Change is Unlucky” for obvious reasons.
  • Gem/Gear Swaps Required - Its not a true all-in-one character, but with some swaps it is easily done. Some people, however, dislike keeping track of ‘this ring is used for this boss’ or ‘this gem is needed during this phase,’ so I thought I’d go ahead and note that here!

1.2. Playstyle

Scourge Arrow is a very powerful skill. Like Volatile Dead and other similar abilities, its AoE damage is powerful enough there is no need for single target as well. With the upcoming changes to Scourge Arrow’s projectiles, there will be no more annoying clipping through doorways and hallways, leaving it up to you if you’d like to add in a Rain of Arrows secondary link for clear.

With proper investment you will do plenty of damage for bosses and can offer bossing services if you so desire. In groups, you will shine with a proper support.

1.3. Origins

Having never played Scourge Arrow before I wanted to do something a bit different. The new Trickster Ascendancy was a desirable base for the build, as the new defenses were incredibly powerful and could be properly augmented/complimented with passive allocation and gear. Not to mention the Ascendency was left open-ended enough for other skills that were non-DoT to shine as well. While not the highest damage a Trickster Scourge Arrow build could offer (*cough* Eternity Shroud), I believe this build achieves a proper balance of damage and defense. Fun enough for those who like big DPS numbers and safe enough for those who are new to the game.

2.0. Skill Trees, Ascendancy, and Leveling

Here you should find everything you need to get started. If there’s missing information you’d like to see, please let me know in the comments and I will do my best to accommodate the request.

2.1. Ascendancy Choices

Trickster is a Great Ascendency. You’ll be picking up the following:
  • Swift Killer
  • Ghost Dance
  • Escape Artist
  • Harness The Void

2.2. Leveling Toolkit

You can level this build one of two ways: A.) Storm Brand or B.) Rain of Arrows

Brands are incredibly fast to level, make quick work of the leveling content and can scale easily with minimal points invested.

Leveling Rain of Arrows & Scourge Arrow is straightforward as well, though a little bit slower but allows you to get used to pod placement.

Leveling Trees

Rain of Arrows & Scourge Arrow
This includes the step by step leveling process and the final level 90 ‘Budget Tree.’
If you are buying everything right away, please check the PoB for End Game Gear.

Skill Gem Links

Rain of Arrows:
  • 3-Link: (2G1B)
    Rain of Arrows, Added Cold, Added Lightning
  • 4-Link: (3G1B)
    Rain of Arrows, Added Cold, Added Lightning, Mirage Archer
  • 5-Link: (3G2B)
    Rain of Arrows, Added Cold, Added Lightning, Mirage Archer, Critical Strikes
  • 6-Link: (3G2B1R)
    Rain of Arrows, Added Cold, Added Lightning, Mirage Archer, Critical Strikes, Elemental Damage with Attacks

Scourge Arrow
  • 3-Link: (2G1B)
    Scourge Arrow, Inflused Channeling, Mirage Archer
  • 4-Link: (2G1B1R)
    Scourge Arrow, Infused Channeling, Mirage Archer, Elemental Damage with Attacks
  • 5-Link: (3G1B1R)
    Scourge Arrow, Infused Channeling, Mirage Archer, Elemental Damage with Attacks, Hypothermia
  • 6-Link: (4G1B1R)
    Scourge Arrow, Infused Channeling, Mirage Archer, Elemental Damage with Attacks, Hypothermia, Cold Penetration

Other Gear Links

In Act 1 you can pick up Blink Arrow, or try one of the new movement skills available. Frost Bomb can be used early on for debuffing bosses.

Maker sure you pick up Herald of Ice in Act 2, and Hatred in Act 3. They will help your damage as you level.

In Act 6, make sure you do Lily’s mission for Cast When Damage Taken to use with the Guard skill of your choice. You will pick up another to automate Cold Snap.

2.3. Pantheons

Major:
Soul of Lunaris - Stun Immunity comes from Ghost Shrouds so Soul of Lunaris adds a defensive layer by providing even more avoidance.
(Soul of Solaris is also acceptable.)

Minor:
Ralakesh or whomever you prefer. Yugul is great for Aul/U-Elder.

2.4. Bandits

Help Alira for that sweet, sweet multi, all-res, and mana regen.

Check me out on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/brittleknee
Last edited by brittleknee on Jun 6, 2019, 7:44:16 PM
Last bumped on Jun 17, 2019, 12:55:18 PM

3.0. Early Gearing & Budget Setup

Hooray! You made it to maps! Now it’s time to get started!

3.1. Required Uniques

Hyrri’s Ire, Zodiac Leather

Hyrri’s Demise, Sharktooth Arrow Quiver

Atziri’s Step, Slink Boots

Lioneye’s Fall, Viridian Jewel

3.2. End-Game Gem Setup

Scourge Arrow:
  • Scourge Arrow, Infused Channeling, Mirage Archer, Hypothermia, Elemental Damage with Attacks, Cold Penetration.

Defense:
  • Cast When Damage Taken, Immortal Call (or guard skill of choice), Frost Bomb, Frost Bite.

Movement:
  • Blink Arrow, Faster Attacks, Faster Projectiles, Portal

Damage Buffs:
  • Hatred, Herald of Ice, Cast When Damage Taken, Vaal Cold Snap (self-cast Vaal CS when needing guaranteed chill on bosses).

Optional Rain of Arrows:
  • Rain of Arrows (Vaal Okay, too), Mirage Archer, Added Lightning, Added Cold, Critical Strikes, Elemental Damage with Attacks.

3.3. Flasks

Diamond, Stibnite, Jade, Quicksilver and Life Flask.

You may use Atziri’s if you prefer the extra damage and leech.

Dousing MUST be on your Instant Life Flask. Thicc ignites will chew through your life extremely quickly.

3.4. Jewels

Aside from the Unique, you will want as much added cold damage as you can manage. Also you will want a source for Onslaught for mapping from the Searching Eye Jewels.

3.5 Budget Setups

No Lioneye’s Fall
  • Without Lioneye’s Fall, you will need to pick up Vitality Void to improve your Leech. You can also take some added cold damage since you’ll miss out on the Crit/Multi nodes associated with the Jewel use as well.
  • Path of Building: https://pastebin.com/UJXNTmDN

Hopeshredder for Bossing
  • To use Hopeshredder for bossing purposes on a Trickster, you must accommodate the cold degen with some passive tree adjustments (You must take Survivalist), a non-optional belt enchant (120 ES/Sec), and an essence worm so you can use Purity of Ice.
  • Path of Building: https://pastebin.com/u45TgS9e

5.0. End Game

5.1. Final Build Gear

5.2. Improving Further

The Shaper Bow I ended up buying was not optimized for my build. I never got around to fixing it to something with more potential damage. The +2 Support Gems isn’t optimal, and Cold as Extra Chaos would have probably been better.

I did not fully optimize the Abyss jewels I was using at the moment. Now they have been nerfed. Oops.

I did not explore adding a Watcher’s Eye to the build, either. There are some nice Hatred-based ones that could have added much more damage.

5.3.GearSwaps/GemSwaps

Aside from the previously listed Hopeshredder swap for bosses if you decide to go that route (see Early Gearing - Budget Setups for more info), there are a few things to move around as you are able.

Dream Fragments, Sapphire Ring

Pyre, Sapphire Ring
  • PoE Wiki Page: https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Pyre
  • Why: Making sure there is 100% corpse removal from deeper delves (450+) The degens left by various corpses will one-shot you depending on mods since you cannot evade them.

Barrage 20/20
  • PoE Wiki Page: https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Barrage
  • Why:This is the only way to kill Atziri and U-Atziri. Directly swap your SA gem for Barrage on her encounter and single target her and use RoA for Zombie phases.

Last edited by brittleknee on Jun 6, 2019, 7:41:10 PM

6.0. Frequently Asked Questions

This area is currently under construction. :)

6.1. Frequently Asked Questions

I’ll take the time to outline this when questions/comments are made in the thread.

6.2. Troubleshooting Common Issues

I’ll take the time to outline this when questions/comments are made in the thread.

8.0. Credits, Updates, Changelog

Credits

Thank you to RedXY, as this build would not have been possible without you.

Thank you to my followers, subscribers, patrons, and to all of you who have stopped by and said hello on stream, or on the other guides.

Updates

Archived updates posted at the top of the guide at the beginning of a new league will be moved here at the league’s conclusion.

Changelog

• Guide Published 4 June 2018

Last edited by brittleknee on Jun 4, 2019, 6:54:35 PM
Bes build, yes?

But... why no gib note? Bex.
Last edited by BlooLemonHaze on Jun 4, 2019, 9:22:38 PM
Interesting, wondering how long the build sucks until you feel that its is clearing smoothly ?

Or is it good from the start ?
Yeah gonna join in on the previous post, would this actually feel good while going through acts\early mapping in a leaguestart format.
For the initial character I leveled Brands then transitioned to Scourge Arrow in BA. It felt pretty seamless. I'm undecided whether or not I will level RoA/SA or go the Storm Brand Route for the upcoming league.

I wasn't sure if the guide needed an outline of how to level brands, as it has been pretty ubiquitous as of late.
Last edited by brittleknee on Jun 5, 2019, 6:46:25 PM
Awesome build and even more awesome guide!
awesome build! your deathless UE kill was great!
Nice, I'm thinking going ci trickster with something similar.
CliveHowlitzer wrote:

I am now too addicted to that feeling of being kicked in the nuts when you die.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info