3.13 Caustic Ground Zombie Consumer

Revised for 3.13 because there has been several changes and this was very out of date.

Caustic Ground Zombie Consumer

A build using siegebreaker coupled with aukuna's will and a few QOL uniques to sacrifice big zombies as fast as possible to spread caustic ground and kill everything.

Pros:

-Cheap gear in trade - can get all necessary uniques often for under 10c total. After that it's a matter of maximising minion life and damage with either a 2nd sceptre or a shield of your choosing for necro aegis (I don't like necro aegis tbh)
-Clears all content
-Versatile. This guide shows my current favourite way of playing it, but you can build it numerous different ways.
-layered defenses (high block, blind, phys reduction, elusive, fortify)

Cons:

-Delayed DPS
-Flask-dependant defenses - can make long fights a bit riskier
-Often on top of enemies
-Low life pool unless you get some good gear.
-not really SSF friendly. Aukuna's is difficult to get. I got it this league in a private league but only because I've spent 3 leagues, countless legions and a lot of nagging everyone to let me know if they find it. Someone finally did, thankfully. I am free.

Levelling
Spoiler
Level as you would any normal minion build. You will initially want to map with spectres or normal mon'tregul zombies as this build struggles to operate without a 6-link. Tab is fine - this league I used tab clearing T16s and level 93. Kill all bandits, we need the points!

POB
Spoiler

-USE COMMUNITY FORK
-https://pastebin.com/dP1ZXMm5
- please note, PoB currently doesn't support the increased corpse life nodes, but they do affect your zombies with Aukuna's will. I have put it as 80% increased minion life (corpse pact, 2x corpse life nodes) on the large cluster jewel. Obviously this won't affect minions other than zombies but we aren't using them for dps so it doesn't matter.
- PoB is set as if fighting Sirus with Vaal Summon Skeletons up. Endurance charges set to 1 as you often have three up, but not always, so 1 for a rough average estimate.

Gem Links
Spoiler

These are my current gems. Note that if you are not using Kitava's Teachings and/or Bubonic Trail you will need to remove 'Death Attunement', spec to 'Thunderous Salvos' and use unleash to get reliable caustic ground. Or use another means to trigger zombie limit.

(Chest) Zombies:
Raise Zombie - Minion Life - Minion Damage - Void Manipulation - Predator - Swift Affliction

(Gloves) CWDT:

CWDT (2) - Immortal call (3) - Volatile dead (1) - Convocation (4)

(Ring)Aura 1:

Flesh and stone

(Weapon 1 Mon'tregul) Movement, Aura 2:
Leap Slam - Fortify, Malevolence

(Helm)Utility Minions:
Animate Guardian - Raise Spectre - Summon Chaos Golem - Meat Shield

(Weapon 2) Trigger spells:
Withering Step - Bone Offering - Despair

(Boots) Buffs - FF and Wither:
Vaal Summon Skeletons - Feeding Frenzy - Wither

Gear
Spoiler

My Current Gear:
Spoiler

[/i]

Essential:
Mon'Tregul, Aukuna's Will, Siegebreaker

Advised:
-6-link chest with a Deafening Essence of Fear applied. Bloodbond is also fine, if you happen to find a cheap 6-linked version of it.
-Two unset rings (1 is fine, 2 is a luxury)
-a sceptre with %minion damage and trigger spells Trigger is just really nice to have. Not essential.
-Elder helm with Minion life Just helps to keep your utility minions invincible. If you get a super juicy one with +minion levels, 20 minion damage and 20 minion life, by god put your zombies in there ASAP.
-amulet with minion damage is BiS, as you can get other mods on it too. Otherwise Jinxed Juju or Sidhebreath are both alright. Anoint with Righteous Army.
-Rumi's, Kiara's flasks Rumi's gives us some much needed block, Kiara's takes care of providing onslaught while giving us ailment and stun immunity.

Jewels with a mixture of life, minion damage, cast speed and minion life, as you require. - cast speed is less important with Aukuna's, but still nice to have

If you can get hold of a Legion jewel that gives you some strategically placed minion life or damage notables, then do it.

How to play/Explanation
Spoiler

Cast raise zombie on a pack, move/leap slam/cast more, zombie dies, everything else dies. Several ways to force-die the zombie in play: Volatile dead on CWDT (no damage, just corpse removal), Bone offering on trigger/CWDT (your preference), Death Walk from bubonic trail kills a corpse with each step, Kitava's teachings absorbs a corpse once per second, and casting 4 zombies kills the first. This all results in near-total corpse removal.

Spectres you have you have a few choices. I run They of Tul (despite nerf they're still good), Arena Masters (move, attack and cast speed, everything we need), and a bubble spectre. You may find, however, that you want to rip your ears off after a while of running with ToT and AM... they're noisy little buggers.

Chaos golem for phys reduction. AG geared with Leer cast for damage, Ambus for endurance charges, Dying breath for damage, Victarios boots for movement.

Despair I like to run on trigger as we only really need it for bosses, but you can run a Witchfire Brew if you prefer.

Skeletons are just there for bosses/area defence mechanics like ritual/blight. They wither everything and provide FF for more damage to zombies. With withering touch on Skeletons, vs a boss you have near-permanent 15 wither stacks as you have ~40 skeletons attacking ~1.6 times per second. (40x0.25x1.6 = 16) At worst you have 9 skeletons doing so while VSS is on cooldown, so you only get ~4 withers, which you can buff up a bit to 9 with withering step. Either way, better than standing around casting it manually or missing out on FF by using a spell totem.

Lunaris and Shakari - helps deal with physical and chaos damage, as well as projectiles and poison.

Last edited by jokerrf on Feb 13, 2021, 9:27:28 AM
Last bumped on Aug 22, 2019, 6:42:33 AM
Sounds interesting!
If you get one of those Elegant Hubris jewels, one of the changes it can make to notables is 80% minion life. I just got one that has 3 80% in the witch starting area and 2 80% minion damage. It also got rid of my +1 zombie at the start.

240% minion life is nothing to sneeze at. Granted, I did divine it like 8 times to try for 3 Slum Lords on the left side pathing down to Scion life wheel -_-

(in case the imagine link is busted) https://imgur.com/szioD7b

Also, didn't GGG make the ground not stack fairly recently? Might still be able to hit good numbers with one. In my case, I made a jewel with the same bonuses and it more than doubled the DoT
Last edited by JoeODanger on Jun 14, 2019, 1:44:46 AM
"
JoeODanger wrote:
If you get one of those Elegant Hubris jewels, one of the changes it can make to notables is 80% minion life. I just got one that has 3 80% in the witch starting area and 2 80% minion damage. It also got rid of my +1 zombie at the start.

240% minion life is nothing to sneeze at. Granted, I did divine it like 8 times to try for 3 Slum Lords on the left side pathing down to Scion life wheel -_-

(in case the imagine link is busted) https://imgur.com/szioD7b

Also, didn't GGG make the ground not stack fairly recently? Might still be able to hit good numbers with one. In my case, I made a jewel with the same bonuses and it more than doubled the DoT

Yeah I've just finished levelling my new version of this build so will be updating this page properly over the next couple of days. I'm absolutely getting one of those jewels because they look amaaaaazing!

With regards to stacking ground, I'm currently playing assuming that they don't stack. Not entirely sure either way because it's quite hard to tell with how the build playys. Because of this and also because abyssal jewels are less amazing now, I'm much more inclined to use two violent dead jewels. It means that the zombies actually do something useful when they aren't dead and the build is such that they do fairly respectable damage by themselves.
Well, good luck. I'm going skeletons for instability myself but I will probably try the zombies at some point since I have a pair of the gloves. I figure if it feels bad I'll swap over to specters. I love skeletons usually, but I'm unsure how they fare vs the Legion mechanic (the mages are probably good).

I expect divines to get more expensive if rolling the Karui, Maraketh, and Empire jewels catch on more. The Vaal ones seem bad; I rolled one 10 times and never got anything approaching usefulness.

I'll keep an eye here to see how it's going for you.
Well, good luck. I'm going skeletons for instability myself but I will probably try the zombies at some point since I have a pair of the gloves. I figure if it feels bad I'll swap over to specters. I love skeletons usually, but I'm unsure how they fare vs the Legion mechanic (the mages are probably good).

I expect divines to get more expensive if rolling the Karui, Maraketh, and Empire jewels catch on more. The Vaal ones seem bad; I rolled one 10 times and never got anything approaching usefulness.

I'll keep an eye here to see how it's going for you.
Nice, I love popcorn skeletons :D. Yeah, luckily it shares like 99% of the tree with most other generic minion builds so it's easy to swap to whatever you want if you don't enjoy it.

I've just updated it with all my current stuff and a POB, although I just got an Elegant Hubris so my actual tree is now..... somewhat different. (Got two Minion life notables and a Minion damage one! - 15c for the jewel, 30c worth of divines. Not bad for 160% minion life and 80% minion damage!)
I found this jewel, what would it do in terms of this build?

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/c8xtq6/amazing_minion_life_jewel/
Yeah that would be pretty nice. Any jewel with tons of minion life/damage is going to be good, you've just got to weigh up the pros and cons of what you have to swap out to use it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info