Diablo 4 Would Kill Path of Exile

"
Aynix wrote:
"
10cGGG should buy the Diablo franchise off Blactivisard. That’ll guarantee this scenario will never happen...unless EA buys them all and then it’s an automatic...

I doubt anyone in this world is willing to pay the amount of money it is required to buy Activision Blizzard.

Dude, SATAN wouldn't even...
Troll post? It must be.

Diablo 3 is all the evidence you need that Blizzard could not touch POE with Diablo 4. Undoubtedly POE would see a big drop in players on the release of D4. A lot of players would go check it out, play it for a bit and then dump it in short order.

Diablo 3 was a total disaster, ROS was an improvement, but the game was and is still dogshit. ARPGs need deep character customization and complex itemization to have staying power. This is why an initially small gaming company managed to dethrone the monolith that is Blizzard in the ARPG market. Because POE has those qualities and D3 does not. The only good thing in D3 is the engine and the 'feel' of combat. It's quite good, otherwise the game is dogshit.

This is why Diablo 2 was so good, it had those deep item mechanics. Items are everything in these games. Players have to fetishize the godly items, have to take time invested in the game to understand all their complexities and learn to take advantage of them. Diablo 3's itemization consists of main stat simplified garbage.

It's no longer in Blizzard's ID to make a true ARPG successor to Diablo 2, or one that can complete with POE. They will never make a complex, deep game that takes time to understand again.

Diablo 4, if it is ever even released, will be another dumbed down simplified pile of dogshit like Diablo 3 was. It will sell and do well, because it's Blizzard and they just market to their WoW players, who'll buy any piece of shit they throw out, but it will still suck.

The only way I'd ever consider buying Diablo 4, is if the game has a demo/beta that consists of the ENTIRE game, allowing me to see if it's worth it or not. The D3 beta was a scam, with Blizzard claiming itemization was all placeholder and there was so much more. In the end that was all there was and still is.

I sunk so much time into Diablo 2 and now have no need for Diablo 3 or 4 or 5. POE is the natural evolution of D2.
If diablo 4 would come out today I'd quit the league in an instant and 36 challenges be damned.

When 3.7 comes out? Well that depends on which content is better at that time, doesn't it?
Second-class poe gamer
Last edited by pr13st on Apr 12, 2019, 3:22:24 AM
Diablo 4? Nah, I don't think so. Blizzard changed to a different company years ago, they won't make an rpg that rivals PoE. I doubt they will make a D2 Remaster even, or that it would change much.

It's more likely that a new game out of nowhere will draw attention and has the complexity and longevity PoE Players want.
ARPGs are in a weird place. Theoretically there are money in the genre and yet big companies avoid it for some reason. They go for card games instead, rofl
I bet you no if they decided to keep paragons and instanced end game via GR still in D4 with no item trading and most powerful items always being sets.

Then again why release D4 when you could use that money to make 3-4 more copy-paste mobile games? Do you think Blizzard is really about franchise integrity now?
Last edited by poeGT on Apr 12, 2019, 5:33:23 AM
"

It's more likely that a new game out of nowhere will draw attention and has the complexity and longevity PoE Players want.

Couple months ago Blizzard hired guy who was working (with team) on Witcher games. I hope it was for new game, not for Diablo 4.
The people in this thread actually believe D3 failed, and that means D4 would fail.

As much as most of you might have hated D3, it did not fail. Nor did its expansion, which if D3 was such a crapfest, it should have failed. It did not. Sold something like 10-20 million copies did it not?

Diablo 4 will sell millions of copies when its released. Will it kill Path of Exile? No. Just like Path of Exile doesn't hurt D3. There just isn't enough games in this genre for either game to kill each other. I mean Arpg fans are still basically hopping between games released what? 7 years ago? Thats how terrible this genre is.

Most people just bounce back and forth between the games on a whim. I dabble in D3 from time to time. I dabble in PoE. I venture to guess thats more what happens than people who just outright hate either game to the point they wont play it because of X reasons.

D4 will release and most Arpg fans will play it. It will be a success. A lot of the stuff that people here hate, others love in D3. I mean look how much people love SSF in PoE. And then they turn around and flame D3 for the same SSF system.

D4 will be a massive success when its finally released. Its hard to get a barometer on D4's success from an echo chamber(A PoE Forum) that vehemently hated D3 like its repubs vs democrats. And I dont think most people who play games fall into such strict categories. I'll hop on any game anyone releases I dont give a damn, if I find it fun.
Last edited by Destructodave on Apr 12, 2019, 8:42:56 AM
If it was such a success why didn't they release a second expansion? There were plans for it alongside another game which turned out to be Overwatch.

To you the expansion might have been a success but clearly it wasn't enough for them.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
If it was such a success why didn't they release a second expansion? There were plans for it alongside another game which turned out to be Overwatch.

To you the expansion might have been a success but clearly it wasn't enough for them.

Just wasnt worth the effort. Happens. They probably started working on the mobile game at that point, or had other plans.

Are you really trying to argue against the numbers? They sold something like 10 million copies of Reaper of Souls. It was a success.

People keep forgetting D3 is a pay to play game. Its not Fremium like PoE. They get all their money upfront and dont have to constantly release content to get theirs.

If they decided to not make another expansion its not because D3 was a failure. And its probably not because it wouldnt sell. An expansion right now would sell like hotcakes. Why they wont make it is for Blizzard to decide. I mean a D4 would sell like crazy, too, a Warcraft 4, a Starcraft 3, Another WOW expac. Its not failure that keeps them from making these games. Since they were all successes, even WoW still sells millions of copies every single Xpac.

Honest truth is probably the genre is garbage. There is a reason we still talk about playing D3 and PoE which released in what? 2011-2012? The resources devoted to pleasing this niche playerbase is probably better spent making more hearthstone cards, wow xpacs, and games like Overwatch, and yes, even breaking into mobile games. An expac would probably sell, but not like something in those genre's and platforms, would. For all the shit people talk about Diablo Immortal, theres a pretty strong chance it brings in way more money than a PC version.

To me, this kind of game is sort of like RTS's at this point. Its not a completely dying genre, but I wouldn't consider it mainstream anymore, and Blizzard is a mainstream company.
Last edited by Destructodave on Apr 12, 2019, 9:09:49 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info