Has Beta weekend changed your prefered class?

I first thought that I would like the witch the most, but while she was fun did I enjoyed the ranger the most. I really liked lightning arrow and poison arrow who also have great visuals.
My ranger really played like an arcane archer, area of effect bow attacks with flashy visuals.

I also preferred this ranger over diablo2 it's bowamazon, unlike D2 don't you constantly run out of mana in the beginning. 3 mana potions was enough to keep my mana full. The POE classes also have more options to use multiply skills, while diablo 2 was all about making 1 skill extremely powerful(especially post 1.10 synergy). My ranger for example used poison arrow on a pack followed by lightning arrow. My marauder used cleave on packs, heavy strike on loners and bosses and leap attack on ranged attackers.

The ranger also had a very easy time keeping himself alive, he could easily keep a distance and he had great evasion. Caster monsters seemed to be his weakness, those were one of the few enemies who caused me to use health potions.

I also really liked those special items that dropped, like the item that rerolls a rare item. After I got pathetic properties on a rare long bow, used I some chaos item to reroll it. The new item had one of the best properties around: 1 increased damage, speed increase and 2 elemental damage properties. Those special items are great because unlike diablo2 are you not screwed when no good bow drops.
Last edited by kolpo on Apr 2, 2012, 6:32:46 AM
Nope, my bet's always had been on the 6th class, since months ago :P
Sweeping Maid
Last edited by nzrock on Apr 2, 2012, 9:02:34 AM
After playing all the available classes I found out starting class isn't as huge a deal as you might think. It's mostly about your placement on the map, and what you want to specialize in most right away.

Of course you do get skill gems as rewards based on your class choice (but doesn't seem to affect random drops at all), but honestly that isn't a huge factor...especially when you can quickly make a diff char to get the skills you want right away.

I found bows work the best for killing, but you don't need to be a ranger to use them. Even my witch used bows a ton....rocking her minion army while pelting things to dealth. All of the classes can get to iron grip very fast pretty much...and iron grip really makes bows shine.

Lightning arrow early on is freaking awesome though...better then any melee AoE for sure...and better then most of the spells from blue skills as well in my opinion.

Your character isn't really restricted by class at all in this game.....and at least over time I found myself choosing a class based on positioning more then anything else. If you want a HUGE minion armor asap, then witch is probably the way to go. If you want insane life regeneration then maruader or duelist etc. That being said all classes can go with bow damage if they want. Long term I don't think starting position is going to make THAT big of a difference.
"
wolfy42 wrote:
After playing all the available classes I found out starting class isn't as huge a deal as you might think. It's mostly about your placement on the map, and what you want to specialize in most right away.

Of course you do get skill gems as rewards based on your class choice (but doesn't seem to affect random drops at all), but honestly that isn't a huge factor...especially when you can quickly make a diff char to get the skills you want right away.

I found bows work the best for killing, but you don't need to be a ranger to use them. Even my witch used bows a ton....rocking her minion army while pelting things to dealth. All of the classes can get to iron grip very fast pretty much...and iron grip really makes bows shine.

Lightning arrow early on is freaking awesome though...better then any melee AoE for sure...and better then most of the spells from blue skills as well in my opinion.

Your character isn't really restricted by class at all in this game.....and at least over time I found myself choosing a class based on positioning more then anything else. If you want a HUGE minion armor asap, then witch is probably the way to go. If you want insane life regeneration then maruader or duelist etc. That being said all classes can go with bow damage if they want. Long term I don't think starting position is going to make THAT big of a difference.

All that changes at higher levels, you'll find your non-Ranger bow chars hard to kill anything if you don't go for the bow passives. For witch obviously the Ranger can reach very easily.

EDIT: Forgot that there is still some ways to make it work. That would be Auras and good supporting gears and skills(passives and gems).
Sweeping Maid
Last edited by nzrock on Apr 2, 2012, 9:17:49 AM
I started out with a witch as well, and she was the main character I played. I wasn't sure what I wanted to play at first, but after this weekend I think I'm just going to play all of them.

Each class is really fun in its own right. And extremely customizable. It is quite easy to get a character to mid-levels, so I think I'll just be keeping 5 guys ready to go.

I haven't made it to the higher levels so I imagine I'll pick once I get there. It seems that the duelist is great. I also really enjoyed the ranger and witch.

The nice thing about this is that you can gear up all of your characters from 1 character. Good stuff.
Last edited by pleiadezx on Apr 2, 2012, 9:29:20 AM
I still like my butt ugly Marauder the most... But then again, I have only tried half of the classes yet :D If only I had more time ;)

WIP: BM Dualist using bow.
I will also play all of them. My favorite has been the ranger though, I always loved bow classes. However, in some games playing a bow character does not feel right, but in this game, it could not be any better. Those arrows really feel like they are making an impact! Anyways, I will play ranger - marauder - witch - duelist - templar.

Why templar last? Not cause I did not like him, but because I want to have as much experience in the game as possible before I play a melee-mage hybrid since I do not want to reroll dozens of times. I need to get him just right:)
i only tried 2 classes duelist and witch
and i absolutely love the witch
i wanted to try the ranger but i didn't have enough time
i'm definitely going to try all of them
Last edited by EpiDEMiC117 on Apr 2, 2012, 9:57:41 AM
Yes and no, I always wanted a Templar and Duelist, with the Templar being my primary choice.
After playing for a few hours, the Duelist rose up to be the class that I will be playing a lot.
Witch was also nice, didn't try the Ranger at all, for I don't have any interest in bows or daggers and such.
"
pleiadezx wrote:

I haven't made it to the higher levels so I imagine I'll pick once I get there. It seems that the duelist is great. I also really enjoyed the ranger and witch.

Yes duellist seems to be great too, he seems to be just as close to iron grip as the ranger and he isn't too far away from other bow stuff. He can also quickly go after berserking(+15% attack speed) With iron grip become strength upgrades also valuable. I also liked gear that had both evasion and armor on it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info