Need advice on building a new PC for PoE

Hallo, hallo!

I know this is a odd request but I wanted help on building a new pc for PoE and my budget is around 800€-1000€

My first question is: can a i5 run well and great settings? Or should I get an i7?

Bump
Last bumped on Mar 25, 2019, 3:06:13 PM
Hey there,

I'd be inclined to use PCPartPicker - there's a country drop-down in the top-right corner.

With regard to your question, that depends. Are we discussing a second-hand quad-core i5 from 8 years ago, or a brand new i5 from Intel's latest generation? Or a new part which belongs to a previous generation? I'd probably recommend a Ryzen CPU & more expensive GPU.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
I built one last summer using a 6core Ryzen 5
Seems great.
Only suggestion I would add is SSHD is mandatory for this game.
I may pick one up, it's apparently my source of syndicate lag according to the community...
Mine came out to 700$ USD and it is really nice.
My son plays fortnight maxed out, and I run POE smooooth, cept for intervention of course.
I will wear your ghost and you will die twice, against me and for me.
That is some cold blooded shit to say...
"
Sarno wrote:
Hey there,

I'd be inclined to use PCPartPicker - there's a country drop-down in the top-right corner.

With regard to your question, that depends. Are we discussing a second-hand quad-core i5 from 8 years ago, or a brand new i5 from Intel's latest generation? Or a new part which belongs to a previous generation? I'd probably recommend a Ryzen CPU & more expensive GPU.

A new brand i5. The this new tower will have all new parts. my old one is pretty old
The site and the ones who is making that magazine called PCGamer, I do believe have some very nice guides on building your new PC.
"
julios80 wrote:
A new brand i5. The this new tower will have all new parts. my old one is pretty old

You definitely don't need (and won't benefit from having) an i7 to play Path of Exile. If you're doing other things on the computer then the more expensive CPU may be worth getting, but for PoE an i5 is plenty. My personal recommendation would still be to get a Ryzen instead.

If you answer a few questions I could rustle something up;

- Are you only interested in Intel CPUs?
- Are you only interested in either AMD or Nvidia GPUs?
- Can I exclude a Windows license from the budget you mentioned?
- Which of the countries supported by PCPartPicker is closest to you?
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

"
Sarno wrote:
"
julios80 wrote:

You definitely don't need (and won't benefit from having) an i7 to play Path of Exile. If you're doing other things on the computer then the more expensive CPU may be worth getting, but for PoE an i5 is plenty. My personal recommendation would still be to get a Ryzen instead.

If you answer a few questions I could rustle something up;

- Are you only interested in Intel CPUs?
- Are you only interested in either AMD or Nvidia GPUs?
- Can I exclude a Windows license from the budget you mentioned?
- Which of the countries supported by PCPartPicker is closest to you?

No, been using Intel and Nvidia for now but I'm looking for better more durable
options than being fixed on brands.

Sure! Portugal/Spain

Thanks for your help man!
today i got my new pc with gf1060 6gb + ryzen 5 2600x, on max details gpu went 40% usage in a map, while cpu usage was around 10-15% with permanent 60fps.

Dont know if this helps you, but anything around these specs should work well.
Spreading salt since 2006
Here's what I came up with: https://es.pcpartpicker.com/list/dXs9D2

Here's the specs;

• Video card: Gigabyte GTX 1660 (Note: NOT 1060!) 6 GB Gaming OC
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz hex-core w/ SMT (6c/12t)
  • Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) 3200MHz
  • SSD: Intel 660p 1 TB M.2
  • Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500
  • PSU: Corsair RMX (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Fully-Modular

I ended up reaching - and just exceeding - the higher end of your price bracket with a build which adds up to €1008.00 in total. I did that because I didn't want to compromise unnecessarily, and you've a better idea than I do of what may be salvageable from your rig.

If nothing is salvageable from your current rig, here's ways to cut down on costs;

• An RX 580 would be both less expensive and less powerful. I recommend this one.
  • The storage option I chose is a 1 TB SSD, which can be compromised upon in many ways - a HDD will be cheaper but feel worse, or you may be comfortable with an SSD with half the capacity. I would say to avoid hard drives, but other than that what is 'right' is subjective.
  • There's definitely cheaper cases on the market, but I think this one is a good value one if you're looking to replace your current case.
  • There's cheaper PSUs available, but please don't buy a dodgy $20 unit from a company you've never heard of. It really isn't worth it.

The parts list is designed to balance good immediate performance with good longevity. You've 1 TB of space, all on a fast SSD. You've plenty of RAM - and it's fast enough to keep the Ryzen CPU's Infinity Fabric happy. The 1660 will probably overclock up to 1660 Ti levels of performance, and as a brand new card you don't need to worry about it being EoL'd with bad driver support. The CPU can also be overclocked, though you may want to think about picking up a better cooler before pushing it to its limits. Both when gaming and outside of games, you should enjoy using this PC for a very long time. There's not a single component I wouldn't gladly use myself.

Edit: Oh, and low profile RAM to maximize cooler compatibility in case you do end up picking up a new cooler to overclock your CPU & improve its longevity.

----

Last edited by Sarno on Mar 22, 2019, 3:56:42 PM
"
Sarno wrote:
Here's what I came up with: https://es.pcpartpicker.com/list/dXs9D2

Here's the specs;

• Video card: Gigabyte GTX 1660 (Note: NOT 1060!) 6 GB Gaming OC
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz hex-core w/ SMT (6c/12t)
  • Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) 3200MHz
  • SSD: Intel 660p 1 TB M.2
  • Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500
  • PSU: Corsair RMX (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Fully-Modular

I ended up reaching - and just exceeding - the higher end of your price bracket with a build which adds up to €1008.00 in total. I did that because I didn't want to compromise unnecessarily, and you've a better idea than I do of what may be salvageable from your rig.

If nothing is salvageable from your current rig, here's ways to cut down on costs;

• An RX 580 would be both less expensive and less powerful. I recommend this one.
  • The storage option I chose is a 1 TB SSD, which can be compromised upon in many ways - a HDD will be cheaper but feel worse, or you may be comfortable with an SSD with half the capacity. I would say to avoid hard drives, but other than that what is 'right' is subjective.
  • There's definitely cheaper cases on the market, but I think this one is a good value one if you're looking to replace your current case.
  • There's cheaper PSUs available, but please don't buy a dodgy $20 unit from a company you've never heard of. It really isn't worth it.

The parts list is designed to balance good immediate performance with good longevity. You've 1 TB of space, all on a fast SSD. You've plenty of RAM - and it's fast enough to keep the Ryzen CPU's Infinity Fabric happy. The 1660 will probably overclock up to 1660 Ti levels of performance, and as a brand new card you don't need to worry about it being EoL'd with bad driver support. The CPU can also be overclocked, though you may want to think about picking up a better cooler before pushing it to its limits. Both when gaming and outside of games, you should enjoy using this PC for a very long time. There's not a single component I wouldn't gladly use myself.

Edit: Oh, and low profile RAM to maximize cooler compatibility in case you do end up picking up a new cooler to overclock your CPU & improve its longevity.

Thanks Sarno! That was a lot of help, I will be reading your post more atentivelly and considery later today,
again thanks for your help!

- Schulz

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info