Divine Ire - Do Shocks matter vs bosses - looking for expert opinions.

I'm trying to decide between a few Divine Ire builds, switching from my leveling build into crit-staff with Duskdawn or crit-shield, or just gearing out heavily on my current EO build.

ok, to the point. im not sure if even the Blast from Divine Ire will shock endgame (guardians/shaper/uber) bosses long enough for the predicted "shocked" dps in PoB to be practical. (to keep it as simple as possible, lets ignore that shocks are always 50% in PoB)

this is what im wresting with:

for example, between the time that ive shocked a boss with a 3-5 mil dmg hit (with 9-10 casts per sec and the double charges per hit divine ire provides vs a bosses with its arcs) and then charge up another blast, how much shock effectiveness would i need for the boss to stay shocked long enough to be hit with that second blast or any other consecutive blast?

other factors are crit chance, which hovers around 60% in these builds, and shock chance, which i can get around 20-25% of readily.

the reason that i ask is that the damage between builds becomes more marginal (ie: dps is twice as high instead of three or four-times...but with more inconsistent damage per blast) once shocks are removed from the equation, and EO/elemental focus are thrown in, etc etc.

edit: focus rings need not apply since they can be used in any build.

any mathematicians out there?
Last edited by awave on Mar 15, 2019, 4:48:06 PM
Last bumped on Mar 21, 2019, 12:30:47 AM
Shock effectiveness does not increase shock duration. You would need "duration of shock" increases. Effectiveness only affects how much damage you need to deal to reach the 50% cap. If you hit a monster for 10% of it's health you will have 50% shock applied (if your hit crits or hits the shock chance roll). With 100% shock effect you only need to hit the monster for 5% of the hp to have 50% shock(if crit or shock chance roll hits).

Base duration is 2sec
Last edited by arknath on Mar 15, 2019, 4:46:37 PM
"
arknath wrote:
Shock effectiveness does not increase shock duration. You would need "duration of shock" increases. Effectiveness only affects how much damage you need to deal to reach the 50% cap. If you hit a monster for 10% of it's health you will have 50% shock applied (if your hit crits or hits the shock chance roll). With 100% shock effect you only need to hit the monster for 5% of the hp to have 50% shock(if crit or shock chance roll hits).

Base duration is 2sec

thanks for clearing that up! (completely forgot shock duration was a thing...thought the dps affected it. smh).

whats your opinion on whether divine ire with 2-3 mil shaper dps, some shock chance from conductivity and 60% crit chance will shock reliably enough for the follow-up blast to hit a shocked shaper/guardian? (not accounting for shock duration/effectiveness nodes)

if i respec the build there wont be any going back for awhile so im pretty hesitant atm.
Last edited by awave on Mar 15, 2019, 4:57:02 PM
Vs a boss that spawns 0 adds you probably use around 2 seconds between each divine ire release if you wanna charge up fully. If you can squeeze in some sort of shock duration on either gear or node it would help quite a bit.

If your build goes up to heart of thunder (very top middle of tree) take the first small node on the right (lightning damage shock duration and effect) That'll give you 30% shock duration which makes your big shock last for 2.6 seconds instead. That should be enough to let you hit your next big Divine Ire release while it is still shocked. 2 seconds can be tough with human clicking/movement etc :)

Second alternative is rolling chance to shock/shock duration on a jewel if you feel you need it. Maybe? worth it if you don't wanna travel to ailment duration nodes.

The equippable item options with shock duration(like stormchargers) have other flaws like low amount of ES or likewise so not sure about that route.

When your gear is good enough the vast majority of mobs will get a decent shock from your chargeup damage so I am not too too sure if it is worth giving up a lot to get the big shock through in the end (unless all you use is that 1 point)

Sorry for late answer. Took a break from the league :D
Last edited by arknath on Mar 21, 2019, 12:48:37 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info