Client.exe encountered an error..

Hello.

I downloaded client for stress test, and installed it. Then I run it, and it shows error "Client.exe encountered an error, and needs to shutdown".

I was searching for minimal requiments, but I didn't find them. My PC is old, but I can still enjoy newer MMORPGs.

AMD Athlon 2200+ (1,6ghz)
1gb RAM
Geforce 5200 FX 128mb
WinXP Professional SP3 (DX9.0c)

Is my PC too slow for it? It's like a Diablo 2, so it shouldn't have any problems.
Last edited by Acrith on Mar 30, 2012, 9:05:23 PM
yeah, I'd say it's a bit dated, sorry.
Which game do you play?
PoE forums ignore list script:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/162657

0.4: added "ignore" button. ignore list is now saved locally.
Recently, i'm playing Super Meat Boy, osu!, Elsword and still Diablo 2.

I know that games i'm now playing aren't new, but when I was searching for good MMORPGs, my PC did run games with higher reqs, like League of Legends (that wasn't playable well, but 30fps), or Runes of Magic.

But when I saw PoE, i got very angry about that f.. error. I really wanted to play that, also if I would have 20-30fps, because I really fall in love in that game.

So, please - If you have some ideas how to fix that - Just write them here.. Maybe something works.. :)
You're GFX card doesn't support Shader Model 3, which at the moment, is the only hard requirement.
I have the same issue. Was not able to install it for the open stress test, re-downloaded it after buying a key just then and had the same issue.

I'm going to assume that my hardware is out of date (Athlon XP 2500 with ATi Radeon X850). I'm rebuilding my gaming rig (this is a temporary replacement until I do) and will try again.

May I suggest to devs that a simple requirements test be done and an informative dialog "Your system does not met requirement X" be shown and exit program rather than crashing to desktop?

This handles the problem gracefully, rather than giving the impression that your software is in error (yes, I know this beta but still).

Given the number of threads in support, this 'fix' would reduce a lot of pressure on support and eliminate user angst in one fell swoop.

Source: I am an applications developer, so I deal with similar issues.
Sorry Acrith, but your computer is entirely too old to play Path of Exile.

It has too little RAM (2GB is about the minimum, more is definitely preferable).

The Graphics card doesn't support Shader Model 3.0 (as Vandro said).

You CPU doesn't support SSE2 instructions, which are also required to play the game.

SuChan: yes, your CPU and video card are too old for the same reasons.

A diagnostic tool would indeed be useful, but is low priority atm.
Code warrior
Thanks for the very quick reply and confirmation of the issue Rhys, much appreciated.

tbh, I did not even look at the minimum requirements, but I was aware that my computer was substandard. I have about half-a-dozen Steam games that have similar issues, although they at least manage to install. As I said, this is a temporary machine while I rebuild my gaming rig.

It looks like I have even more reason to fast-track the upgrade now!

Edit: Please add "client.exe encountered an error" to "Known issues" with link to http://www.pathofexile.com/faq/#q14
Last edited by SuChan on Apr 26, 2012, 8:39:27 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info