So, how strong is the story/lore in this game?

"
zeto wrote:
Perhaps for me, the last time I really got to sit down with the game, the interaction between the world, the NPCs, and myself, wasn't really there. I felt 'talked at' rather than 'integrated into' an ongoing issue or situation in that world.

Probably because you are talked at during almost every NPC conversation. The player is almost a silent protagonist; every NPC "dialogue" is really a monologue by the NPC in question and anything the player might have said is entirely implied.

The bandit leaders are slightly different, but the choice is still a meta-choice (fight/help) rather than an in-character choice "I will help you!/Prepare to die, scum!"

Doing it this way massively reduces the amount of voice-acting required, since we don't have to record every characters interaction with every NPC dialogue option, though it is much less engaging. Maybe one day?

"
Raycheetah wrote:
the quest prompt "Talk to Nessa back in town" (when you first reach the Cavern of Woe) would sound better if "town" was replaced with "camp."

That hovel ain't no town. =^[.]^=

You're right. There are in fact several instances where both the Shore and Forest Encampments are referred to as "towns" despite the fact they really aren't. This is mostly in the quest log text. I've fixed these up and they will probably be pushed into 0.9.10.

I don't know if letting everyone contribute on the NPC dialogues would be productive... it's all very subjective stuff anyway and since you guys aren't privy to all the backstory, plot etc. it could become confusing. Too many cooks without ingredients, perhaps.

Of course if you do spot any spelling or grammar mistakes, or feel strongly that something is poorly worded, go ahead and post in the Spelling/Grammar bug thread.

For what it's worth, there's a lot more lore and plot coming in Open Beta. Act 3 will be there, of course, and with it will come a bunch of additions to the first two acts to get the main storyline rolling in Act 1.

Currently there are only a few hints of it in-game.
Code warrior
"
Rhys wrote:

I don't know if letting everyone contribute on the NPC dialogues would be productive... it's all very subjective stuff anyway and since you guys aren't privy to all the backstory, plot etc. it could become confusing. Too many cooks without ingredients, perhaps.

I should clarify: My purpose of stating what I did was two-fold...

1) Players can identify wording issues such as town vs. encampment or consistency issues between stories or better ways to say the same thing.

2) Players will have a single area to read the text outside of the game, if they would so choose. Many people like the story and lore, but sometimes, for some people, loading up the game and running around talking to everyone on a whim is not possible.

So I don't think that players should be able to dictate the story... I do think that players might enjoy a single place to read what does exist, and to perhaps offer up small improvements in wording if such issues exist at all.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
Those are excellent points.

I do wonder about how to keep so much text up-to-date with changes, though.
Code warrior
I remember saints row 1, your the silent protagonist, then suddently you get a voice for one mission, guys like, you don't talk much do you, and then he blurts something out.

Was Priceless, they mention something similar in Dragon Age 1 also.
I dug this old post out of my crypt.

In response to the OP, maybe this will help start things out for the story beginnings...

Quoted For Truth --
"World Areas Wraeclast is an ancient continent of nearly endless intrigue and mystery. While no concrete encyclopedia exists that documents the island's myriad regions and inhabitants, we have located the journal of the renowned explorer known only as "The Paragon". Her recovered writings recount a journey from Wraeclast's savage beaches to its dark and deadly interior, an undertaking of great peril..."
Chris,

As requested (by the un-named source there at GGG), I have etched below my completed translation of "the Paragon's" final journal entry.

My sincere apologies for the tardiness in my work -- please know that this took well over a month to decipher, mostly due to the numerous characters and glyphs that I have never before encountered; along with the high salinity content that was observed on the final few pages (from exposure to sea-water, I suspect).

Please also be assured that the original manuscript that I was provided for this task, has been safely shipped back to you by courier. You should receive it within a day or two.

I hope that my effort here is not too late... and that it meets with your satisfaction.

This one's for you, Chris....

Best regards,
~Ghostmage

The Paragon's "final journal entry"
(translation by: Ghostmage)

In the gloom
of her kiss,
with the salt-water sand...
arises the witch,
from the Twilight Strand.

She stepped from the sea.
electricity...