Elemental Passives and Fire

I have a nagging question.

If an "Elemental" is a spirit embodying one of the five elements of antiquity: Earth, Water, Wind, Fire, Aether. Do the "Elemental" passives also then affect fire damage? And! If not why not?
I'm BACK :)
The Elements of this game are:
Ice
Fire
Lightning

Chaos is not considered within '+% Elemental Damage'.

Yes would be the answer to your Question.
Infernal blow or fire passives are bugged. There is no other explanation for why IB doesn't get affected by +fire passives. I have Lava Lash, Immolation and Fire Walker (as well as normal ele templar elemental passives). I use same level, same quality Infernal Blow & Glacial Hammer skills. Even though GH is 125% of Base and IB is 112% of Base, I would expect the passives to MORE THAN make up the difference. Let's whip out the calculator!

Let's say for giggles, that I'm using a white mace with NO elemental and base physical dps of 100 (they both increase physical by 42%, so we can ignore that).

With NO pasives, GH should be 125, 62.5 physical and 62.5 cold. Infernal blow would then be 112, 56 physical and 56 fire. at this point, GH is 10% better than IB (in theory the corpse explosion effect makes up this difference).

I have NO cold passives, and my fire passives are Immolation (+18% Fire) Fire Walker (+12% Fire) and Lava Lash, (+36% fire w/weapons), plus three 6% fire points for +18% more. Let's say those are additive, and not multiplicative, so a bonus of 78% to fire damage (if multiplicative, it would be almost +113.5% bonus, so this is the conservative approach).
78 * 56 = 43.7, making my total IB damage 100 + 56 + 43.7 or 199.7, MUCH higher than the 125 from GH.

Of course, I am simplifying by hand-waving over the increase in ele passives that "apply to both." But they aren't coming off the same base, so let's add those in. I have catalyze, plus its three sisters for +105% weapon damage and Elementalist + Celestial Walker and its two prereqs (+33% ele damage).

So, both GH and IB get (again, additive) get a +138% boost to the elemental part of their damage. Let's be conservative & pretend the elemental happens seperate from the fire passives.
IB: 56* 1.36 = 76
GH: 62.5 * 1.36 = 85
____Base___Skill___ElePsv_____FirePsv___Total
GH: 125 + + 62.5 + + 85 = = = = = = = = = 272.5
IB: 112 + + + 56 + + 76 + + + + 43.7 = = = 287.7.

Notice that I am calculating the elemental and Fire damages separately, but they SHOULD affect each other (the order doesn't matter).
So we start with

Base __ Ele +138% ___ Fire +78%
56 * * * 2.38 * * * * * * 1.78 = 237.2 dps Fire damage (plus 56 physical, for a total of 293 dps to GH's 272).

Basing that on real weapons, I should see between 5-10% GREATER performance from IB than from GH (and this is with a white non-elemental mace, which I assure you I am not using). But that's not what I'm seeing. IB has always been about the same percent (or more) LOWER than GH.

What gives? I can come up with no rational explanation for this behavior. I'm pretty sure it's not a display bug in the character screen, because I'm seeing slightly better performance from GH on single targets than IB as the reported DPS would indicate.

Edit: I have 24% increased ele damage from equipment, I recalculated, and it makes very little difference, so I'm not changing the above to reflect it. The difference is (62.5 - 56)*(1.24) = 8 dps more for GH.
/Edit

My build:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQUAAJbF5wDU5OYBzjiLB3e_bQqoMR0PSLviFl5YaReHlYcYum2EG85OTSKgHsIkWJ8tK3I55C2W5Ssxk0n3NuvFVDfEI39IM6ecSRB4xUsGJWtNZqDlWtVtV12tb69iEhoWZRFytWfuCepxt7nfcp9W1HfPAll4TQG6eOOzV3yGyhl8wCHefPbQmn-qyB6AyTPVhJgm84XKd62VhJIumS1ht5sdSUCbb0JKm_AqxaI3qHaoL3qJqgU6VqprrnarZVXSr5igjrHb0_a7ikAZwOZYb8MHMufL1RfPzRKsjs2xIFfTP_B71Hwxi9SLxKvYZqkl5E26SuSv3A7lY9BU6o7qmOtgC43udu7P8N1IdPta7Q78c7rC_ovirg==
EDIT: I moved my response to the Infernal Blow feedback thread, since you also posted this there, and it seems a more appropriate venue for the discussion.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Jul 4, 2012, 10:10:50 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info