Marauder tank build - one handed weapon + shield

Hi guys, i am new to the game & trying to figure out what will be the best tank build for marauder from normal to hardcore.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAdwB5wJxBLMFLQthEtkUIBRNGJEZLhmFGjIaOBo-Gtkb-iSqJd8n1SftKLUqODIJNro26DbpOlI62DrhQKBHfk3YT31QR1BQUWBUSVWpVbVWBFcNWGNZ818_YEtgiGFSZU1mnmh0ah5s9nB9cql07Xbnd2J4DXloerh673zZgFaBb4LkhGOE2YZgiPGKr4x2jM-QEZBVlKCXtJ48ns2iAKQZplemz6cwp4SoGKluqZWrxayqrLquk7Xyud2-isAawQTEWMT2xtjQR9Ih2E3ZYdpi37_jauTx51LsOO8O707wH_Gs8i_ynPPd9kj3vvrS

This is my predicted skill tree, used up to 120 point, no waste at all. Added quite a few elemental resistance node, not sure if this is better than taking all the life node.

Please have a look and give me some suggestion , thanks :)

I would give up on making a tank build. I tried it up until lvl 60 before realizing there doesn't seem to be any viable way to use a shield. The survivability is just not worth the huge damage loss. With a tank build and shield I feel totally useless, I need to group with others and basically wait for them to kill everything because I can't do it myself.

Also you have wayyyy too many resist nodes. I only have a couple (3 15% nodes I think) and I easily max out in merciless.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't think a tank/shield build is viable at all.
not at all, thanks for your comment & suggestion.

As i mentioned, i am a newbie for this game, dont really know how to build the passive tree lol
I agree with doppleganger...

As long as you solo, you can live with a shield,
everything is alright until you reach 60...

By that time you are likely act 2 merciless and there,
you start to feel like leveling is going to take forever.

You then try to group up and realize that the exp gain is just ridiculous compared to solo.

with the exp bonus and the dps classes wiping out nearly everything in seconds,
You can easily level from 60 to 61 in an hour or so with group farming fellshrine.
While the same in solo will take you a good day or so.

Problem is that you quickly realize that all you really bring to the group are your auras.
If ever someone else is not bringing the same already.

The only aura you might really bring in is determination as grace will likely be already there thanks to some dps anyway.

And regarding how armor works, the determination bonus will only actually really help: You.
Indeed as it is a % of armor, non armor based characters will get nearly no benefit from it.
And armor based character will likely already use determination obviously...

So all in all the problem in my eyes is that in solo you can't really exp past 60 and in group you really don't bring enough to the group for your character to be fun to play.

The worse part is that you won't even be able to actually "tank" as most mobs will care little about your ridiculous damage output and will just go for the dpsers / totems...

If on top of that you take into account that your extra defense is in fact not really going to make that much of a difference, good luck tanking vaal for instance around the level where you should kill it... You will just have to do exactly the same as a dps based build, run...

The only real benefit of using a shield is that you might survive desync a little longer.
Buy that's about it, as even your life leach with 1h will not compare with 2Handers builds.

The extra resist from shield nodes could seem like a big deal,
however, maxing out resist on merciless isn't a big deal actually.
It's reachable without even putting a point into any resist node...

IMO this is a design issue, you lose a lot and gain very little in effect by using a shield.
If they don't buff this in a way or another, it will remain gimped and a non viable option.
"
boudboa wrote:
I agree with doppleganger...

As long as you solo, you can live with a shield,
everything is alright until you reach 60...

By that time you are likely act 2 merciless and there,
you start to feel like leveling is going to take forever.

You then try to group up and realize that the exp gain is just ridiculous compared to solo.

with the exp bonus and the dps classes wiping out nearly everything in seconds,
You can easily level from 60 to 61 in an hour or so with group farming fellshrine.
While the same in solo will take you a good day or so.

Problem is that you quickly realize that all you really bring to the group are your auras.
If ever someone else is not bringing the same already.

The only aura you might really bring in is determination as grace will likely be already there thanks to some dps anyway.

And regarding how armor works, the determination bonus will only actually really help: You.
Indeed as it is a % of armor, non armor based characters will get nearly no benefit from it.
And armor based character will likely already use determination obviously...

So all in all the problem in my eyes is that in solo you can't really exp past 60 and in group you really don't bring enough to the group for your character to be fun to play.

The worse part is that you won't even be able to actually "tank" as most mobs will care little about your ridiculous damage output and will just go for the dpsers / totems...

If on top of that you take into account that your extra defense is in fact not really going to make that much of a difference, good luck tanking vaal for instance around the level where you should kill it... You will just have to do exactly the same as a dps based build, run...

The only real benefit of using a shield is that you might survive desync a little longer.
Buy that's about it, as even your life leach with 1h will not compare with 2Handers builds.

The extra resist from shield nodes could seem like a big deal,
however, maxing out resist on merciless isn't a big deal actually.
It's reachable without even putting a point into any resist node...

IMO this is a design issue, you lose a lot and gain very little in effect by using a shield.
If they don't buff this in a way or another, it will remain gimped and a non viable option.

Completly agree with this, there is no "tank" in this game, the builds are there but not effective as you wanted them to be :(
yeap is sux i have mara whit shield+1h alot of hp/armour but your dps is sux is uber hard to kill moobs at map gona change to roa
Last edited by davc1234567890 on Apr 6, 2013, 9:05:12 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info