Item Spam Movement Bug

Unintended behavior: Inability to move after picking up an item in an area too clogged with dropped items.

Steps to reproduce: Clear an Incursion in a high IIQ map. Fill up your inventory. Pick up one more item. Voila--you can't move without a movement skill.

(This was originally in the Bug Reports forum, so please don't yell at me for posting it here instead. I didn't move it.)

So, I just now found myself in a situation where I accidentally picked something up while my inventory was already full, and I was unable to drop it because the ground was already 100% saturated with items.

I was literally unable to walk to a location where I could drop it, because I had an item on my cursor.

Now, I was about to post this in Feedback, but honestly guys, this is a fucking bug.

When your game drops so many items that you literally cannot move, there is a PROBLEM.

(It's also shit design, but that's a topic for the Feedback forum, so I won't dwell on that.)

Labels for dropped loot have always been horribly buggy (for years now, and yes, I posted about that problem about five years ago), but this is a new level. I hope you guys actually talk about this in your dev meetings and have it on your roadmap for a fix sometime in the future. Dropping 10 zillion pieces of trash does not improve anyone's ARPG experience, and in the case I just described it actually breaks the game.

Thanks.
Wash your hands, Exile!
Last edited by gibbousmoon on Feb 16, 2019, 1:25:30 AM
Last bumped on Feb 23, 2019, 4:33:31 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
So, I just now found myself in a situation where I accidentally picked something up while my inventory was already full, and I was unable to drop it because the ground was already 100% saturated with items.

I was literally unable to walk to a location where I could drop it, because I had an item on my cursor.

Now, I was about to post this in Feedback, but honestly guys, this is a fucking bug.

When your game drops so many items that you literally cannot move, there is a PROBLEM.

(It's also shit design, but that's a topic for the Feedback forum, so I won't dwell on that.)

Labels for dropped loot has always been horribly buggy (for years now), but this is a new level. I hope you guys actually talk about this in your dev meetings and have it on your roadmap for a fix sometime in the future. Dropping 10 zillion pieces of trash does not improve anyone's ARPG experience, and in the case I just describes it actually breaks the game.

Thanks.

You mean to say you weren't smart enough to use loot filter or press Z ?
"
YeAhx wrote:
"
gibbousmoon wrote:

Labels for dropped loot has always been horribly buggy (for years now), but this is a new level. I hope you guys actually talk about this in your dev meetings and have it on your roadmap for a fix sometime in the future. Dropping 10 zillion pieces of trash does not improve anyone's ARPG experience, and in the case I just described it actually breaks the game.

Thanks.

You mean to say you weren't smart enough to use loot filter or press Z ?

You mean to say you aren't smart enough to actually read content you seek to ridicule?

(In fact I have a strict loot filter, which bears zero relevance to the bug in question. But you would have known this already if you had read carefully and weren't merely looking for an easy opportunity to write a rude post.)
Wash your hands, Exile!
Last edited by gibbousmoon on Feb 15, 2019, 9:32:35 AM
you just write the command /destroy in chat and the item is gone.
It's been like that for several years. :)
What if he doesn't want to destroy the item? He can use a movement skill, but the thing is, sometimes some characters do not use any movement skill. You can say he can log out with the item on his cursor, but if it's in Delve and there's more items to pick up, it's not a fun solution.

(although I think it would be more useful if posted in Feedback... again)
The Bother progress: 11%

You don't even imagine how much harm you've caused. I'm not sure I'll live long enough to finish "The Bother". You're one of my murderers. You will never get my forgiveness unless you make up for what you've done.
"
Iangyratu wrote:
(although I think it would be more useful if posted in Feedback... again)

I ordinarily do. But, like I said, this is so obviously a bug (by any reasonable definition), it belongs in here.

Workarounds for this bug (such as typing "/destroy" or logging out) are indeed valid workarounds. But they are workarounds for a bug.

This is a fucking bug, guys. No two ways about it. The origin of this bug may very well be shitty design decisions, but that doesn't change its status as a bug.
Wash your hands, Exile!
Last edited by gibbousmoon on Feb 15, 2019, 11:04:18 AM
Update

"
gibbousmoon wrote:
This is a fucking bug, guys. No two ways about it. The origin of this bug may very well be shitty design decisions, but that doesn't change its status as a bug.

Care to explain why?

If an enemy drops more loot than intended, then that would be a bug. The QA team can reproduce it internally, investigate potential factors in that bug occurring, and hand it off to be fixed.

If loot is duplicated when spawned, that would also be a bug. It's not anticipated behaviour - and again, this could be confirmed by QA before being flagged internally as needing a fix.

But despite reiterating that you believe this to be a bug, you haven't offered a reason for that belief - nor have you explained why this is something you believe the QA team should be looking at. Their job is to say "what didn't work as expected?", and as soon as they determine that the answer to this question is "nothing", to be blunt it's no longer their problem.

The word 'bug' is not synoymous for critical feedback, nor is the Bug Reports section a place to post more important or urgent feedback. Bugs and feedback are different things - and more loot being generated than you conisder appropriate falls firmly into the latter.

If you believe a bug causes a specific enemy to drop an inappropriate amount of loot - for the sake of example, rare Kitava Zealots drop as much loot as act bosses - then great, that's a bug. If, when dropped, Imperial Mauls get duplicated multiple times, then that's a bug.

But "in general enemies drop too much loot, and this can cause problems" ? Yeah, that's feedback. It might be valid, there may be concrete examples of why this isn't desirable - but it is, and always will be, feedback. QA's job is not to pass on feedback to the design team.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Last edited by Sarno on Feb 15, 2019, 12:42:09 PM
"
Sarno wrote:
The word 'bug' is not synoymous for critical feedback, nor is the Bug Reports section a place to post more important or urgent feedback. Bugs and feedback are different things - and more loot being generated than you conisder appropriate falls firmly into the latter.

What I consider an "appropriate" quantity of drops is irrelevant. A mob could drop 2,000 items if it didn't break the game. 2,000 items is too much, yep. But that wouldn't be a bug. It would just be a poor design choice, as most of us can agree.

Any game behavior which fundamentally breaks the game can fairly be identified as a bug. Do you disagree?

Being rendered literally unable to move qualifies as a fundamental game breakage. Do you disagree?

Nichelle_GGG seems to disagree, since she has moved this thread to the Feedback section. But I think my decision to post it in the bugs forum is adequately justified by the above two statements. I am frankly baffled by you and her declaring otherwise.

If my reasoning is wrong, feel free to point it out. I am not averse to being shown the error of my ways.

As I said before, the fix for this bug may be to correct a poor design decision. Or not. Perhaps GGG intends for the quantity of drops to remain as it is forever. That is not for you or me to decide. There are ways to fix this bug without reducing item drop quantity, for sure.

It is the difference between intended behavior and actual behavior that defines a bug. Do you believe that what I described is intended behavior? If not, then why do you question the assertion that it is a bug? (This question is for Nichelle as well.)
Wash your hands, Exile!
Last edited by gibbousmoon on Feb 15, 2019, 10:00:57 PM
Update

"
gibbousmoon wrote:
Any game behavior which fundamentally breaks the game can fairly be identified as a bug. Do you disagree?

No.

For two reasons - one being that what 'fundamentally breaks the game' is too subjective. Were I to agree, I'd be implicitly supporting opinions I may not share. I can't do that.

It is not my intention to derail the thread with talk of semantics; the above is a genuine concern. I'll be honest and say that I agree what you post sounds problematic, and I do repect you as an individual poster - not something I can say about everyone on this forum - but I don't believe we're likely to agree on this. For that reason, and to avoid the discussion transitioning to one of semantics, I'll depart the thread. I do hope GGG takes your post seriously, as whatever term we use to define it, you are posting about something they should address.
“Please understand that imposing strong negative views regarding our team on to other players when you are representing our most helpful forum posters is not appropriate.” — GGG 2022

----

I'm not 'Sarno' on Discord. I don't know who that is.
Last edited by Sarno on Feb 15, 2019, 12:42:19 PM
"
Care to explain why?

I bet you won't accept that as an explanation but let's try.

Items on the ground lays in 1x1 unit grid, character size is 2x2 units, you can pick any item that is (I believe) directly nearby to your character hitbox, you can drop an item on the ground if there is an empty space on the grid within about 10 units square. Item dropping process is fully controlled by the game, you can't chose where the item will drop.

As OP has described sometimes you can getting locked in place with a sticky item on the cursor. You can't predict this, you'll never be ready for this, you literally have just one reliable way to solve this (it's a definitely frustrating way).

The issue would never occur if there would be no restriction on item drop radius. No one care how far from the character the item will drop, if you want to pick it up again you'd still need to walk directly next to it.

But for some unknown (probably long forgotten) reason the "maximum drop radius" restriction still exist. The game has changed over the years, the fact devs can't keep up with the changes is no excuse. Nowadays the issue is nothing but a bug.

You can't do azurite mine without "/destroy " macro, as a new player you'd probably log out each time this happens. The problem need a fix.
Problem: impostor syndrome
Solution: nerf everything
Result: depressing mess

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info