Standard or League?

So im completely new to PoE and realy unsure if I should start in standard or league? (Leagues are pretty much the same as seasons in D3, right?)

I'm not new to ARPG's though - been playing D3 on and off since launch.

So any advice? And if u think league is the way to go could you please let me know when the current league started and is expected to end?

Thanks.

Last bumped on Feb 16, 2019, 9:27:38 PM
Leagues are not the same as seasons in D3. Leagues in PoE has new content that standard doesnt have. I never play standard, as do most players. Leagues are where the fun is. New start for everyone, fresh econonmy, and new content.

As to when the league ends, the new league starts 8th next month, so the current league ends before that, usually a few days or a week if I remember correctly.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Last edited by CrazylikE on Feb 14, 2019, 10:34:12 AM
You could start in Standard and get to know the mechanics and such.
And then when the next league starts, you could join in for that.
We don't know what it will be yet, it's announced next week. Starts on 8th of next month.

Current league has less than 3 weeks to go anymore.
It's also not exactly friendly to new players to the game. You could ofc start in there, if you want. But the syndicate encounters are a pain in the butt at times.

The leagues last for 3 months and majority of people play in them.
The fresh economy & league content are very attractive.
The game ends Tuesday morning for NZ, Monday for the rest of the world. The next league will then come live Friday of the same week.

Sources:
Official dates
Weekday breakdown

Back to topic, if you just want to have a feel of what the game is like then go Standard - the majority of the game is there and as you're new you have plenty to do without engaging Syndicate (it's quite deadly). However, considering the near 100% chance for Betrayal to go core, if you wish to try it out in preparation for next league, then go Betrayal. In both cases, go softcore for now.
I suggest starting with Betrayal SC. You will gain some experience and will not be so confused with Syndicate mechanics once the new league begins

Also its worth mentioning that this game is much more complex and difficult than these days gaming standard. So dont expect too much from your first character(s)
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Feb 14, 2019, 12:28:56 PM

Aright, thx for all the replies. Very helpfull so far.

And just to clear up: After this league ends the betrayal/syndicate-thing will be part of the "new" standard?

"
Ludvator wrote:
Also its worth mentioning that this game is much more complex and difficult than these days gaming standard. So dont expect too much from your first character(s)

Yeah, im kinda expecting it to be a grand noobish mess of a first char. :)
I could go and follow some guide telling me exactly what to do and build every step of the way, but thats just no fun for me.
"
Witchmaw wrote:

Aright, thx for all the replies. Very helpfull so far.

And just to clear up: After this league ends the betrayal/syndicate-thing will be part of the "new" standard?

No announcement has been made about how syndicate will be implemented.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
yeah, no announcement yet, but the implementation of syndicate mechanics is expected.. unless devs listen to loud whining minority but they have never done that before.
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
We know the next league starts on march 8th, I'd recommend practicing leveling a character now, probably just in Standard, then make a new league character when it hits.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info