Warning: [Removed by Support] is a thief

The scam in a game to scam in real life analogy is flawed at best.
Real life scamming HAS (NOT just should have) consequences for both scammer and scammed in equal measures, whereas in this game scamming has only consequences to the offended party.

Examples abound, promptly comes to mind the case of a child molester (being a school teacher that takes advantage of his position in society) who goes on for some time abusing children unpunished, until some day he crosses path with a vigilante parent off his rocker, that happens to have a keen eye (and a heavy hand), the offender gets brutalized to the point that he can't ever again be a threat to anybody, and that is what some may call Natural Order, others may call it divine intervention, whatever, you get the picture.

So give me the chance to exact justice the way I see fit, and it's fine by me living in a cruel, and merciless, and unforgiving world that Wraeclast is supposed to be, because right now it's not, it's a fake and a phony, just a cheap excuse, it's only punishing the naive, the weak and the... romantic, provided such people still exist today.

And I'm not suggesting that anything in-game should be changed, it's only the ridiculous analogy that concerns me in this matter.
Ἀρχή Σοφίας ἡ τῶν ὀνομάτων ἐπίσκεψις -Ἀντισθένης ἁπλοκύων
"
Boem wrote:
Is it a wordplay because it ends with stupid and the philosophy itself is an open door to idiocracy?

We must have different opinions about the functionality of a wordplay, i tend to use them to make people laugh.

Not me. Apparently, I use them so that I can get "well actually"'d to death by some comic-book-guy in an online forum.
Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Stay stupid.
"
"
Boem wrote:
There is a famous saying when it comes to scamming in real life.

"
you can't scam somebody in the absence of greed

A scammer is somebody that utilizes greed to his benefit. It's one of the sins for a reason, it makes you vulnerable.

Peace,

-Boem-

Google doesn't agree with that being a saying, much less a famous one. Also 'desperation' is a much more suitable trait for targeted scamming than greed. Greed needs to be accompanied by stupidity for a regular scam to work. Greedy and stupid people tend to also be more volatile, which just adds another layer of risk.

It's a saying where i live and i'm translating it to english so an empty google search doesn't surprise me.

As for desperation, i can agree to that but i would still say that greed is the underlying factor.

A lot of people are in desperate situations but a greedy person will want a "quick out" instead of putting in the time and effort to slowly move to a better position in life.

Scammers wave that "quick out" in front of people and then work the people they bait with it.

If your honest and not looking for shortcuts i think the chances of being scammed in real life are probably reduced by 99%.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
what disturbs me the most in these "scams" is that people are very picky when it comes to spend a chaos but tend to not check the trade screen if they trade for more pure exalts i usually earn in a league.

must be greed, i think boem is right. peace!
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Still say it is less greed and more laziness. You really can't trade without performing the ACT of checking. The fact that you choose not to check even though it requires no further action is sheer laziness.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Still say it is less greed and more laziness. You really can't trade without performing the ACT of checking. The fact that you choose not to check even though it requires no further action is sheer laziness.
I wouldn't even call it laziness. Just... letting their guard down. If someone does 100 trades in a row - carefully checking each one - with no problem, I'm not sure I'd call it laziness if they let the diligence slip a bit after that.
Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Stay stupid.
Last edited by Foogalicious on Feb 14, 2019, 9:09:18 PM
Gosh, it is really boring. Some time ago I even wrote "scams compendium":

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2230873

but there are still greedy folks who are robbed by scammers, using promitive "item swap" method. Facepalm. Moreover, in this particular case scam was alredy felt "from big distance". If somebody, who trades item for 5 ex suddenly wants "additional 20 chroms for something", it is almost certain, he want to do some scam. Item or currency swapping in most cases. But noooo, here is another 5 pages topic about scamms and ethics.

Come on, people. It is really hard to be scammed in this game. If somebody is scammed anyway, it is only good for him, as hi will not be scammed in the future, maybe in real life too.
"...there are still greedy folk who are robbed by scammers..."

You sound pretty sure there amigo, using those big words, "greedy folk", why greedy, and especially why all of them?

Why not naive, still trusting, decent, gentle, sincere, nice or even good folk? There must still be around that kind of people, don't you think? Folk that don't have second thoughts, saying one thing, when thinking exactly the opposite.

Unlike you and me, of course, we are the kind who think they're pretty smart, no one's gonna fool me (and you), you even wrote a... compendium! Good for you (and me).

I think we're plain evil, I know I am, aren't you?

And what's wrong discussing ethics? Does it bother you? If it does bother you, maybe it's for the better, that means you still have a conscience, that's gotta be something.

And what is man without ethics? Lower than low, worse than animal, I never... met an animal trying to scam me, only humans, never heard of an animal trying to scam another animal either, at least not for profit.

Survival doesn't count (for all you wise guys), that's a whole different... animal altogether.
"

Why not naive, still trusting, decent, gentle, sincere, nice or even good folk? There must still be around that kind of people, don't you think? Folk that don't have second thoughts, saying one thing, when thinking exactly the opposite.

There isn't a single person running around without that little voice inside their head.

And i am sort of confused by the whole plethora of words describing somebody that get's scammed.

It makes it seem like people "concious" enough to not get scammed lack the ability to be decent, gentle, sincere, nice etc...

And please don't make it sound like trusting every single individual on this planet is somehow a positive atribute to strive for, it's very poor behavior to teach this to other people.

It's perfectly sensible to not trust somebody with eratic or abusive behavior.

Peace,

-Boem-

Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
I wrote... why greedy, why ALL of them?
It's right there, before what you're quoting, you're not confused by the plethora of words, you're plain confused mon ami.

I wouldn't dare say... trusting people is something worthy to strive for, not in the 21st century, hell no way, let alone preaching and teaching anything to anyone, especially about how to behave, I already mentioned I'm plain evil, it's right there, after what you're quoting.

But like it or not, trust is a good quality, and that kind of good folk still... live amongst us. I don't belong to those people.

I belong to the people with a tendency to... erratic behavior, so it's perfectly understandable for you, and others like you, not to trust me... at all.

Pax et Bonum

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info