A League Idea that Focuses on the Player's choices more.

So for awhile i have been pondering how the leagues are set up and how most leagues focus on mechanics that have us either A) Go somewhere or B) Focus on other people. Well the idea i am setting forth focuses more on the player and creating challenges and fun.

Sacrifice League:
With the Betrayal of the Masters creating havoc across Wraeclast, Elder and Shaper creating chaos with their fights, the Breach lords have bidden their time and they look for those who will summon them forth to try to claim the land while all is in disarray.

The League will focus on the 5 Breach lords and allowing the player to focus on who they would sacrifice their power to to rip a portal open to stop another Breach lord from coming through. The Breachlords will be randomly assigned fighting between one another till a portal is opened and a breach lords area is defeated, afterwards they will be randomly jumbled again. IE Esh and Tul are fighting, Chayula and Uul are fighting, after a round Uul and Xoph are fighting, etc.

The player would find an Alter of Sacrifice within the zone/map and upon clicking it be presented a choice. First who will they sacrifice to, and then 3 Choices. The choices would be a stacking debuff as they sacrifice parts of their powers: I.E. HP, Mana, Resistances, DMG, etc. These debuffs would last till the power sacrified is enough to summon the respective portal to go in and fight through a breachlords area (not to be confused with Breachstones). At the conclusion the debuffs would fade giving the player back access to their stats. Some may ask what benefit would sacrificing do and i think that a reward system can be shown as : Player has 9 Stacks of HP Sacrifice, potential for rewards involving HP mods on items is exponentially higher. or something that ties what your most willing to sacrifice to potentially gain higher rewards towards.

While this is just a rough League Idea i think it could potentially create a fun and engaging play through. Is the player willing to play with reduced HP pools creating a feeling of needing to be more careful in their playstyle so as not to die as much to reap the rewards? What are yalls thoughts on a type of league like this that focuses more on the player and their gameplay.
Last bumped on Feb 15, 2019, 10:34:31 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
No please, Im sick of those leagues in which "you can choose" but in reality you always take same shit because its only thing that is profitable.

(See betrayal, incursion)
I do think Incursion and Betrayal both had about the most player choice you can allow in a league. Anything more then that it becomes over complicated. I think a strong argument could be made that they are a bit overcomplicated already for a lot of players.

And regardless, and the post above me stated, and is absolutely correct, player choice is almost always a feel-good illusion. Players very rapidly digest the mechanic and 'solve' what choices are the most profitable, at which point the 'choice' just becomes a mild 'newb' tax, a way to make the league sub-optimal for players who don't scour forums and reddits or watch streamers to learn the best outcomes.
Betrayal is already the league that focuses on player choice. Putting aside many of its flaws, it is still at its core a mechanic about making choices every step of the way and often times having to choose between difficult choices for the goal of extracting information. Your choices slowly affect the rewards and the level of danger as a consequence of your choices you face over the long term.

It's that same emphasis on smaller choices leading up to a desired outcome that help make choices more than just an illusion, since by the nature of the mechanic you aren't always getting the desired choices and sometimes need to improvise to work to the desired goal. It's better than simply having a league where you choose your own ending AKA just pick the best choice regardless.
Honestly, picking what leaguestones to run is enough choice for me in one league. I liked the simple concepts better so far.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info