How to fix Melee. (People are gonna hate it though)

I've been playing Blade FLurry/Reave Juggernaut all league, and although it is capable of handling the endgame content, it certainly is not easy at all. The progress rate compared to screen-clearing/Ludicrous Speed builds is a Snails' pace vs. an ultra-sonic missile pace. Blade Flurry is ok but Reave has a bit more AoE for mapping but still it is weak compared to other skills , builds, and classes. Tankiness is ok though, but heck, who needs tankiness when some builds can 1-shot Shaper/Uber Elder Encounters nowadays. Playing the melee build I've chosen overall takes longer and is just tougher to progress, and that's the truth of my own experience playing just 1 toon. Still needed help to kill Shaper, and just started the Luring of Elder to Shaper map. Some build can just mindlessly do these encounters with ease, and thats a sticking point.
"
SisterBlister wrote:
I have a simpler solution: Apply point blank mechanics to IIR and IIQ, so people at close range get better drops.

I don't know... we want to reward melee play not punish everyone else.
Last edited by Scherge on Feb 13, 2019, 6:14:02 PM
Because we really do need to have numbers like 999.999.999 right ? let's multiply all numbers AND LET'S GO BANANA !!!

"
Scherge wrote:
"
SisterBlister wrote:
I have a simpler solution: Apply point blank mechanics to IIR and IIQ, so people at close range get better drops.

It is exactly the same at the end of the day.

If you reward melees and not range, you're punishing range in a way, period.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Feb 13, 2019, 9:47:27 PM
gotta think out side of the box dudes.

make melee league ban all ranged skills.

There was a time when something could have been done, but it's way, way late now.

Nice ideas, OP
"
Scherge wrote:
"
SisterBlister wrote:

how is "+20% IIQ if target dies within melee range" not rewarding for melee?
"
Dudebag wrote:
gotta think out side of the box dudes.

make melee league ban all ranged skills.

How does someones builds affects your gameplay, huh? This is not MMO.
I don't think this issue is solved as simply as essentially nerfing damage of all ranged builds. That will integrally change the feeling of playing ranged builds because the damage of them is balanced around that. It is a much deeper primarily mechanics related issue. Also the entire construction of the game everywhere from potential scaling, amount/power of choices(huge disparity between players), mob density, the skills already added with huge aoe mechanics makes it very difficult to nerf ranged skills so heavily without making the experience shitty for a solid chunk of the population.

In the big thread about melee page 30 you can read my longer opinion.

In real warfare melee is simply the most primitive weapon as well because it is so limited compared to ranged and greater explosive weapons. And you can't change that mechanic reality without making it non-melee. You can make a game with no cool aoe clearing etc, and it could work but why. And also ggg has went too far down that path to entirely change the game like that now. You are just gonna have to open your eyes to the fact that actual melee is mechanically inferior because its melee, and the only real true way to address that is to not have things with superior mechanics.

As it is now melee is still a really good boss fighter, and it's not like it's not good to play it's just that we humans look at others and get envious but we can get however envious we want it still won't change the mechanic reality.

I might increase the damage slightly maybe 0-35% for true melee skills if i was in charge, and i would address survivability differently than current fortify solution. For example make fortify a stacking duration effect of much shorter duration that can stack up to maybe 10sec. Could be two pronged, one part gives you duration(0.5s) for every kill made with melee skills the other part gives you duration(0.8s) for every hit you land(with like 0.2s internal cooldown) meaning you have to keep attacking with it to maintain it. I would also remove it's interaction with movement skills. I would probably also look into how to stop certain choices from just deleting challenging content and maybe undoing some power creep by increasing some health scaling in higher maps. I would also go over all aspects leading to pure phys build sucks and take action.

Also the flow of the game itself(constant full screens almost) makes melee looks less attractive than if there was more walking around and more like single hard fights to give the most rewards where melee is better off.
I am the light of the morning and the shadow on the wall, I am nothing and I am all.
Last edited by Crackmonster on Feb 14, 2019, 10:18:30 AM
"
Fruz wrote:
"
Scherge wrote:

And when i happen to play a caster... alone. Not for the OP meta builds but because i try to have fun with the game my own way?

Why even throw out a reward?

"here! it's awful to play melee, we know, but if you can stomach it you'll get more candy than the rest of the kids"

"
Crackmonster wrote:
In real warfare melee is simply the most primitive weapon as well because it is so limited compared to ranged and greater explosive weapons.

Yeah and in real life there is something called ammunition...

Last edited by Scherge on Feb 14, 2019, 12:46:11 PM
"
Scherge wrote:
"
Fruz wrote:
"
Scherge wrote:

And when i happen to play a caster... alone. Not for the OP meta builds but because i try to have fun with the game my own way?

Why even throw out a reward?

"here! it's awful to play melee, we know, but if you can stomach it you'll get more candy than the rest of the kids"

i heared too much candy isnt good for health even for the tankiest melees.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info