Time Capsule from PoE Closed Beta -- a classic PoE vs D3 thread circa 2012

Aren't Blizzard ridding of the possibility for modifiers to give you another class ability? It'll be a lot less "crazy" if you think about it.

A lot of the gear stats from what I've seen works similar to how WoW does it: buffs your character's attributes then adds on resistance, critical strike chance, etc.

http://i.imgur.com/9nRUR.jpg

Here's a picture of 45-50 gear.
"
Tagek wrote:
Actually I took a look at end-game gear in D3 that they have revealed, so yes...I actually made a comparison between a level 40 mundane yellow bow in PoE to an end-game D3 unique weapon, and PoE still won by a lot.

You can't argue against the fact that the only way to customize your self in D3 these days are only through gear, and that gear is often even simpler than even the base stats on PoE gear.

...oh and there are potions and flasks that can give even greater customization in PoE where you can have additional effects, buffs, talents and perks bindable to 5 additional buttons plus 8 buttons for skills.

D3 has 1 button for a simple potion that only gives back mana or health, and 6 for skills that you can't customize or specialize at all in any shape or form (runes are not customization).

There is no comparison between D3 and PoE when it comes to complexity and customization options. Diablo 3 wins in lore, animations and effects though. Diablo 3 has more varied enemies too, which is a good thing that Diablo 3 has. PoE monsters are more boring and the scenery isn't as varied and stylish as they are in Diablo 3.
If I'd ever got a chance to make a game, it would definitively not cater to the players that want the game to change instead of themselves improving in it.
Last edited by Katulobotomia on Apr 12, 2012, 2:58:27 PM
-Tagek

hmmm this quote seem to make it all bold, must have found PoE forums Twilight zone.

"Also just as a sidenote.. I think the expression you were looking for is 'You can't have your cake and eat it too' :P"

If you knew me little one you would not be surprised over my destruction of common things :)

All I meant was, diablo 2 had items with more / crazier stats, so will D3

And how do you know this ? I would argue with you over it. But since nether game is complete and out, how can i do this ? I could not compare the item´s i do not know about.

But for the sake of it all.

If we consider that PoE has taken what is good & popular. And familiar to us all from the other great titles and given it it´s own spin here and there.

What makes you rule out that GGG will not take does aspects of D2 also and rewamp it ? Or already has ?

Or considering D3 will come out before PoE. Think of all the insiration and good ideas they will get to do a even greater job.

To me atleast PoE´s standard will just improve with the ability to play D3 at it´s fullest before giving out there own title.

I mean, just think of it, if you yourself was making a ARPG. Then D3 comes out before your game. Think of the tone of inspiration, where you could just flap-out take the good ideas, and improve on the problems they present.

Just like most companys does atm. You see a great idea someone had. You see the problems, you addapt it.

GGG to B3

#Check

Your move Tagek
http://www.youtube.com/user/swedishtavern

Around 90h of PoE Content made and spread across Scandinavia. Now invading Europe & US
Enjoy
Last edited by SwedishTavern on Apr 12, 2012, 3:06:19 PM
"
Katulobotomia wrote:
"
Tagek wrote:
Actually I took a look at end-game gear in D3 that they have revealed, so yes...I actually made a comparison between a level 40 mundane yellow bow in PoE to an end-game D3 unique weapon, and PoE still won by a lot.

You can't argue against the fact that the only way to customize your self in D3 these days are only through gear, and that gear is often even simpler than even the base stats on PoE gear.

...oh and there are potions and flasks that can give even greater customization in PoE where you can have additional effects, buffs, talents and perks bindable to 5 additional buttons plus 8 buttons for skills.

D3 has 1 button for a simple potion that only gives back mana or health, and 6 for skills that you can't customize or specialize at all in any shape or form (runes are not customization).

There is no comparison between D3 and PoE when it comes to complexity and customization options. Diablo 3 wins in lore, animations and effects though. Diablo 3 has more varied enemies too, which is a good thing that Diablo 3 has. PoE monsters are more boring and the scenery isn't as varied and stylish as they are in Diablo 3.

1 Item does not equal all the items.
It's ignorant to speak like all the items have been revealed, even if you have seen a couple of them.
Also, source please.

Personally, I dislike potions. In diablo 2 potions were something you used when you were weak, and strived to be able to live without. Perhaps a simple rename to 'essence of life' would help make it feel better, but I just don't feel a character who relies on potions is quite as badass as one who can do without.
Also, how are runes not customisation? Seriously?
Every single skill in the game has the base skill + 7 variations, some that even change the skill entirely.

Also, customisation in the way you mean, perhaps.
As for complexity, that remains to be seen. Diablo 3 has far more abilities than POE (currently) has available.
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
The silence is your answer.''

IGN: Vaeralyse
Last edited by Tagek on Apr 12, 2012, 3:06:47 PM
"
drakenoog wrote:
-Tagek

hmmm this quote seem to make it all bold, must have found PoE forums Twilight zone.

"Also just as a sidenote.. I think the expression you were looking for is 'You can't have your cake and eat it too' :P"

If you knew me little one you would not be surprised over my destruction of common things :)

All I meant was, diablo 2 had items with more / crazier stats, so will D3

And how do you know this ? I would argue with you over it. But since nether game is complete and out, how can i do this ? I could not compare the item´s i do not know about.

But for the sake of it all.

If we consider that PoE has taken what is good & popular. And familiar to us all from the other great titles and given it it´s own spin here and there.

What makes you rule out that GGG will not take does aspects of D2 also and rewamp it ? Or already has ?

Or considering D3 will come out before PoE. Think of all the insiration and good ideas they will get to do a even greater job.

To me atleast PoE´s standard will just improve with the ability to play D3 at it´s fullest before giving out there own title.

I mean, just think of it, if you yourself was making a ARPG. Then D3 comes out before your game. Think of the tone of inspiration, where you could just flap-out take the good ideas, and improve on the problems they present.

Just like most companys does atm. You see a great idea someone had. You see the problems, you addapt it.

GGG to B3

#Check

Your move Tagek

Yeah that's all true. The thing is though, I was merely replying to that guy because he was implying that he with his almighty knowledge, knew that diablo 3 has no complex items. When he obviously doesn't, no one does.
''Stand amongst the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.

"
Katulobotomia wrote:

Where did you get the information about end-game items?
because the website is incomplete... (like... it's not even up to date...)

And for the stats, I think they are a little bit more interesting in D3 (even if it's not that amazing)

For example, there isn't any advantage to stack int for melee class in PoE except to use a weapon (dagger) or req for skills.

In D3, stats have defensive and offensive for some classes. Stacking int will increase your resistances (str increase armor and dex increase dodge, vitality increase HP unlike str in PoE).

They moved stats to weapon instead of putting points to allow flexible builds based on items.
PoE forums ignore list script:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/162657

0.4: added "ignore" button. ignore list is now saved locally.
"
Disillusioned wrote:
Aren't Blizzard ridding of the possibility for modifiers to give you another class ability? It'll be a lot less "crazy" if you think about it.

A lot of the gear stats from what I've seen works similar to how WoW does it: buffs your character's attributes then adds on resistance, critical strike chance, etc.

http://i.imgur.com/9nRUR.jpg

Here's a picture of 45-50 gear.

Blizzard stated they moved quite a lot of (normal and other) attributes to the very end of the game.
Pictures of items not even in the level 50 range pretty much say diddly squat.

Also as a semi-example: Diablo 2 low-midgame non-unique items didn't have a lot of stats either.

Last edited by Tagek on Apr 12, 2012, 4:40:25 PM
"
Tagek wrote:

Well the endgame is what gives diablo 2 and most likely 3 their longevity and is ultimately what made them great games in the eyes of critics and the general player base (including me).

Had to stop reading there. What endgame did D2 have?

Spoiler
None.

You might argue that the addition of Ubers was somewhat of endgame content but that was YEARS after the game was released.
"
thepmrc wrote:
"
Tagek wrote:

Well the endgame is what gives diablo 2 and most likely 3 their longevity and is ultimately what made them great games in the eyes of critics and the general player base (including me).

Had to stop reading there. What endgame did D2 have?

Spoiler
None.

You might argue that the addition of Ubers was somewhat of endgame content but that was YEARS after the game was released.

They are thinking on last difficulty I think
Same end game as PoE.
PoE forums ignore list script:
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/162657

0.4: added "ignore" button. ignore list is now saved locally.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info