[Build/Guide] HC EK Marauder

Introduction
Marauder starter tree has a great start for survivability as they have access to so many health, armor, shield, health regen nodes. One of my favorite skills in this game is Ethereal Knives so I decided after talking to the #1 on HC Ladder, Kerkrom, I'm going to try this build out. This is my first build/guide and I hope you guys enjoy. Any criticism is appriciated.

Youtube video explaining
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhl7brh1HRs

Pro's & Con's:

Pros:
- Very easy build.
- Not Gear dependent.
- Great way to learn about the game.
- GREAT Map Soloing build.

Cons:
- Physical Reflect can be scary if you don't notice it.
- Can be listed as "boring" or "unskillful" to other players.

My stats at lvl 78

Health: 5.4k
Armor: 10k
Reduction: 47%
Life Regen: 260+
Resistances: All 80% -29% Chaos
DPS: 2.8k/.73 Sec

Leveling
The main problem with Ethereal Knives(EK for short) is the cost of the skill. It scales ridiculously but it cost so much mana. So leveling pre 50 or so is very difficult if you want to just use EK only as you will be running out of mana constantly and wont be killing fast at all. So my recomendation UNTIL your Life regen is over the cost of EK, is to go the standard Ground Slam Marauder if you don't have twink'd out gear to put on him. I used a silverbranch to level till cruel than started to use EK.

Bandits:
Normal: Help Oak for health
Cruel: Help Oak for phys damage
Merc: Kill all

The reason why you want to mostly focus on life nodes and not the dex, or pick up "Elemental Adaptation" right off the bat is that there is no need, you won't need the other 5% resistance or the int till cruel or merciless. It should be very easy to level as a groundslam marauder is very easy threw normal mode.
TIP: MAKE SURE YOU ARE LEVELING EK, THIS IS WHY YOU PICK UP THE DEX NODE.

Get pump, you are soon on your way on using EK, only bad thing is you have to mash health pots and it could be scary sometimes. But you can forsure use it in the mid 40-50's. Reason why I don't finish off the shield mastery and fitness nodes is because it is a waste of points for right now, it would be overkill to get the other 4% right now as your only in cruel and your main focus is the dex node which you will recieve at 40-41 depending if you did dweller of the deep quest. Again make sure you are leveling up your gems during these process so you don't have a DPS decrease due to non-leveled up gems.

Your life regen should be optimized to use blood magic EK, with loosing some health if you take damage. Start using EK and face rolling your way to map stage. There really isn't much to say here besides you should be leaving Ledge Merciless, and entering Felshrine Ruins. You will be staying here untill 68 or so and moving your way to your last act 3 ever on this character.

Map Stage Passive Tree

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAnEEswx9EH8UTRUgFm8ZLhmFGjIaOB0UJIskqiftKMUqTTbpOtg64TwtPQ8_J0NjTDVN2E99UFBRYFRJVcZYY1j1Xz9irGaebBZuqnB9cU16uHyDfLt99YBWgW-D24jxjHaMz49GkFWaz53EnjyhbaIAplenCKeEqZWuk7cxtz64k7ndwBrE9sWKxp7GrsbYzfrOcc9l0NDUj9ad2t3jaudS52PsOO8O8B_yL_JF8772SPrS_Ev9z_4K
As requested by someone, I have added a 90-95 point passive tree for when you start doing maps.

This is using all 120 skill points though there is no need for all 120, just feel out your character and know what you need, if your wanting to change out gear but can't because of resist, get the resist nodes, if you feel like your health is low or armor rating is low, pick up the nodes. Congrats on making your successful EK Marauder.

What Gems/Linking you need

Gems
Spoiler

- Purity
- Tempest Shield
- Faster Projectiles
- Iron Will
- Blood Magic x2
- Added Fire
- Life Leech
- Ethereal Knives
- Faster Casting
- Bear Trap
- Vulnerability
- Leap Slam
- Faster Attacks
- Reduced Mana
- Hatred
- Vitality
- Determination

Auras you want to run 100%:
- Vitality
- Tempest Shield
- Determination
- Hatred

Situational Auras:
- Purity

Use purity on elemental weakness or -X% player resistances maps.

Linking
Spoiler

I subsitute Added Fire for Life Leech on maps that I don't feel comfortable on. Ex: Elemental Weakness, Vulnerability. Enemies reflect x% physical.

If you cannot afford a 6 link and can only do 4 or 5 follow the linking as follows.

4 Link:
EK + Blood Magic + Iron Will + Faster Projectiles

5 Link:
EK + Blood Magic + Iron Will + Faster Projectiles + (choose one) Faster Casting, Added Fire/Life Leech

Gear
So now that you have read the build you might be wondering what kind of gear do you need? The type of gear you will be wanting is pure armor. The mods follow in order of importance.

Gear Mods

Armour:
- Resistances
- Life
- Armour

Weapon:
- Spell Damage
- Cast Speed

Rings:
- Resistances
- Life
- Cast Speed

Amulets:
-Resistances
-% Increased Armor
- Life
- Spell Damage

My gear/Example Gear

My gear isn't the best but some people might want to see what kinda gear I'm running.

Closer
Thanks for reading my guide and hope you enjoy. I would love to know what you think about the build/guide and if you have any questions about the following you can contact me in game(in my signature).

If your interested in how this build plays, you can pop by my stream and take a look, I stream daily. Look forward to seeing you!
http://twitch.tv/cthulhudubstep
ign: CthulzEKKK
twitch: cthulhudubstep
Last edited by itzSlimJim on Mar 9, 2013, 10:50:43 PM
bump
bump
Great guide, thanks.
How do you stay alive, not linking LoH or LL on EK? Would it not be better to just grab Iron Grip passive (since you're near it anyway) and link a LL/LoH to EK?
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
"
Edzilla wrote:
How do you stay alive, not linking LoH or LL on EK? Would it not be better to just grab Iron Grip passive (since you're near it anyway) and link a LL/LoH to EK?

Iron Grip works with projectile attacks. Ethereal Knives is a spell.

You can get around 250-400 hp/sec regeneration with this build, so life leech isn't necessary unless you're doing a no-regen map.
ign: aan_allein_daishan
"
koticgood wrote:
"
Edzilla wrote:

Iron Grip works with projectile attacks. Ethereal Knives is a spell.

You can get around 250-400 hp/sec regeneration with this build, so life leech isn't necessary unless you're doing a no-regen map.

That doesn't help early on. So when is this build effective enough to use EK with bloodmagic gem?

Edit: Guess you level up with a bow until you get to 60+ points eh? I see. Slow start it seems.
Last edited by Edzilla on Mar 9, 2013, 1:24:08 PM
What's your opinion about a Dual Totem EK, please?
Thanks!
I have a silverbranch and am leveling with it. What did you use, gem wise, to level till cruel? Using Split arrow / burning arrow atm.
I highly question your......expertise. You spend 4 points into increased armor nodes when you can get MORE armor with 3 nodes at the start of marauder. You spend 5 points to get 3 life nodes, when you can spend 4 points to get the same amount of HP + 30 Str. Overall highly unoptimized build.

But of course you can do whatever the heck you want because you got 6L. FU, I'm jelly.
Last edited by Melkrow on Mar 9, 2013, 8:20:43 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info