My BETA experience so far and a few problems (1-26lvl)

So far, I've completely loved the game and the detail that has gone into the customization possibilities.

If some of my points are simply incorrect, because I have not yet played a higher level character, please point them out. This is a simple revisit on the experience I've had up to lvl 26 with a Witch and Marauder.

So far with both Witch and Marauder, the game feels extremely repetitive for one reason: I simply pick one AOE skill, make sure I don't run out of mana and the game just becomes a huge one button party. Only occasionally a rare monster with an Aura forces me to wake up and use a single target spell to kill him first, after that the game returns into a single skill game. The amount of damage you do with an AOE skill (in total) is astronomical compared to the very little mana cost. I should be forced to ask: "Can I afford spamming AOE with the remaining potions or do I find another way to clear this?". This is the biggest turn off for me at the lower levels, the AOE skills are too good and I'm not encouraged to use anything else ~90% of the time.

The second problem I have is with the Marauder. It might be because I'm only 26 lvl, but the attacks feel a bit unresponsive/slow/laggy. Often the Ground Slam skill does not do any damage or doesn't go off in the direction I intended and was pointing at. The combat situations turning into a single AOE skill spam also is very prominent. First thoughts would be to reduce the damage of all AOE and increase the manacost by a lot, it would make AOE still viable, but would force you to decide if you can afford a massive AOE or concentrate more on mana and damage control.

Another movement related issue I'm having is that holding left mouse button down for moving around, does not break movement when I press the SHIFT button down to cast while standing still. This is how it was in Diablo 2 and was very comfortable to use and didn't require as much button pressing when I could simply hold left mouse button down, and press SHIFT to stop and cast what ever is bound on left mouse button, and continue moving when SHIFT is lifted.

Just my 2 cents :)
Last edited by MythzFreeze on Mar 21, 2012, 1:13:42 PM
"
MythzFreeze wrote:
So far with both Witch and Marauder, the game feels extremely repetitive for one reason: I simply pick one AOE skill, make sure I don't run out of mana and the game just becomes a huge one button party. Only occasionally a rare monster with an Aura forces me to wake up and use a single target spell to kill him first, after that the game returns into a single skill game. The amount of damage you do with an AOE skill (in total) is astronomical compared to the very little mana cost. I should be forced to ask: "Can I afford spamming AOE with the remaining potions or do I find another way to clear this?". This is the biggest turn off for me at the lower levels, the AOE skills are too good and I'm not encouraged to use anything else ~90% of the time.

While mana isn't as huge a problem as you may like, later on you will probably have to use a variety of skills. Auras, curses, and role skills. Right now you can probably get away with only a couple skills pretty easy.
Later...not so much.

"
MythzFreeze wrote:
The second problem I have is with the Marauder. It might be because I'm only 26 lvl, but the attacks feel a bit unresponsive/slow/laggy. Often the Ground Slam skill does not do any damage or doesn't go off in the direction I intended and was pointing at. The combat situations turning into a single AOE skill spam also is very prominent. First thoughts would be to reduce the damage of all AOE and increase the manacost by a lot, it would make AOE still viable, but would force you to decide if you can afford a massive AOE or concentrate more on mana and damage control.

I'm not sure I would describe it as unresponsive or laggy, but because marauders have such devastating hits, their attack speed isn't the same as what you might see with your witch. Later on the ground slam skill is very useful for taking out small but plentiful mobs. If I might suggest it's use, try to aim in a wider circle. Makes choosing the direction of the ground slam more predictable.

"
MythzFreeze wrote:
Another movement related issue I'm having is that holding left mouse button down for moving around, does not break movement when I press the SHIFT button down to cast while standing still. This is how it was in Diablo 2 and was very comfortable to use and didn't require as much button pressing when I could simply hold left mouse button down, and press SHIFT to stop and cast what ever is bound on left mouse button, and continue moving when SHIFT is lifted.

People have mentioned this before. Haven't heard much comment on it, maybe because it's not how I play so I haven't been paying much attention to the answers, but I don't recall a GGG dev mentioning changing it to that way. I don't see any negative impact on how I play if it was that way, so I guess I support it.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?
That is how it should be, it adds replayability. You are focusing on one skill, that is your choice, it has the best damage output by doing what you do, but you sacrifice fun. I had a few characters that focused on 3-4 skills, while my damage wasn't the best it was fun. Also you can create more characters to diversify youre game as well.
Max has it. I, too, believe AE is far too dominant in usage compared to single-target skills. You will, however, find it worthwhile to use more skills in conjunction with your primary attack/spell in later difficulties in the form of movement/utility buffs and curses.
Using one or only a handful of skills is not really a problem for the game specifically but instead the genre. That is how it is in Diablo 2 and many other clones.

These type of games are more about the loot and developing your character while killing a ton of things instead of using a large variety of different abilities and tactics.

I would even say that other games in the genre can be even more repetitive because I know in Diablo 2 all I did is kill the same boss 100 times in a row spamming the same ability for loot.

So if your feeling fatigue this early on maybe this type of game isn't for you. Compared to most other Diablo-esque games, Path of Exile has a ton of options.
"
RedWing wrote:
Using one or only a handful of skills is not really a problem for the game specifically but instead the genre. That is how it is in Diablo 2 and many other clones.

These type of games are more about the loot and developing your character while killing a ton of things instead of using a large variety of different abilities and tactics.

I would even say that other games in the genre can be even more repetitive because I know in Diablo 2 all I did is kill the same boss 100 times in a row spamming the same ability for loot.

So if your feeling fatigue this early on maybe this type of game isn't for you. Compared to most other Diablo-esque games, Path of Exile has a ton of options.

Saying that it should be like this just because it has been like this and worse, isn't really a good reason in my head :) Nothing forces the genre to be a certain way, it can always be improved, and what better game to do that than POE?

The game could be made more engaging by involving the player more in his decisions on how to engage a particular fight, effectively waking up the player. Nothing more rewarding than that. Even as far as carrying a few skills in inventory, just in case the ones gemmed in the armor don't work that well for a certain fight, fleeing defeated only to return with newly adapted skill/spell set and with a vengeance....and not the same one single big AOE skill you used the past 50+ levels to grind through smashing one button.

I want the game to feel like I'm playing Jazz.
As far as AOE goes, I wish there were some AOE immune mobs. I think that would help solve the issue.
"
MythzFreeze wrote:
The game could be made more engaging by involving the player more in his decisions on how to engage a particular fight, effectively waking up the player. Nothing more rewarding than that. Even as far as carrying a few skills in inventory, just in case the ones gemmed in the armor don't work that well for a certain fight, fleeing defeated only to return with newly adapted skill/spell set and with a vengeance....and not the same one single big AOE skill you used the past 50+ levels to grind through smashing one button.

I would suggest watching some videos of players going through some of the higher levels. You will see them using a wide variety of skills continually. The pace and the variety of skills needed later on gets a bit crazy.
"I would have listened... I would have understood!" - Scion

Have you removed Asus ROG/GameFirst yet?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info