Standard Templar build

Frost nova+supports, Tempest Shield, Molten Shell, enduring cry. Pretty much the cookie cutter build, but how well will it work in the higher difficulty levels and in chaos?

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQUB_oviruVj0FTgIiIfMNo5cL0pmYCb8CrFZ-4J6mURcrXIS00z1LYfVMtBHRHu69DtPSpIdYxRUaPAAL82f6rIHuqO6piFynet5E26SjW1KutGr_7zuPcpo1U0L4zt17l4YEcEyQRMZMNmxzXbmFSqZIKqKcQ1GOsrVvIJOxuik1yCqXRBp5h6kVP66K9yoJ9TfIbKGVzZ3xRXYMW9vIG45hi6bYRiR7jyfPbQmmeYDgETuZa7tfy5b-SUklDgS2y2BaqbVfBhaxSlYrN_CGLA5PK4n9PK7uFXL9VPYsOrSR8i_WqVnRGwDRsXkD-duMBivXvpPwvVKk1EqiW3SiSOs5ktYbeVhJIuG85OTatlVdLTrqJqdbjG6M739e9nGuwCV67gxxEQ4Z5HEfCKrelxruSv3A58wCHeSwYla-tgC43YZqklHRGvtLRmrg2nu0nSG42kkqswKuOW1QR6KkO516oOCjDo_WJ3wnu2eKx2TFU20hzqg4iyqoiBozqZJrjlXa1vr3UPIf8s3Zp3RZbV4TSz2Yg=

After the Templar+witch spell/cold damage I'm thinking to go for the block/armor percentage passives to boost the overall tankiness + tempest shield. Constructive criticism only please.
I disagree with using tempest shield in it's current state. 25% of your max mana to to much for only 4% to block. I'm using a similar build, though I picked up Prestidigitation (took reduced mana cost path to it) because cast speed is nice.

Also, do you have Elemental Equilibrium yet? If so how well does it work if all your doing is switching between molten shell / ice nova? Right now I'm just sticking to pure fire, molten shell and fireball.
Last edited by Lionguild on Mar 21, 2012, 1:23:28 PM
I'm really only using Molten Shell for the defensive properties it brings. There's really no downfall to using it if you have it precast going into a huge swarm of enemies. I don't have Elemental Equilibrium just yet. Haven't been playing much recently, as well as toying around with 2 other builds I've been thinking about.
you really wont have that many points to spend, and the drawback to molten shell is after it is cast you cant control when it goes boom which is bad if a ele reflect rare walks up after u cast it.
i imagine you might want to pick up immortal call should still last long enough for u to clear the screen with only 3 charges maybe.
and perhaps pick up some fire damage passives aswell and extra burning and tag ur ice nova with cold to fire for some extra fun ^^
"
Kalkus wrote:
the drawback to molten shell is after it is cast you cant control when it goes boom which is bad if a ele reflect rare walks up after u cast it.
^

You can easily prevent Molten Shell from going boom by simply right clicking the buff icon. This will remove Molten Shell from you without it exploding.
"
Lionguild wrote:
I disagree with using tempest shield in it's current state. 25% of your max mana to to much for only 4% to block.

I don't necessarily agree. 25% isn't all too high a cost, and while regeneration is based on your maximum mana it doesn't seem to decrease when you have mana reserved. The 4% block also gets better the more block you have (that is, the 4% is static, but will add a higher damage reduction to you if your passives + shield grant more than 50% block than if you use a shield with, say, 25% block. It also adds more damage the more block you have.

Sure, it's no 10%, but it's still one hell of an ability.

Of course, it depends on your build, too. If you AREN'T getting high block naturally than it becomes significantly worse in all aspects.

---

As far as the build linked in the original post: I have one tiny piece of helpful advice in the build posted: you have one wasted point in some melee damage to get down to a 1% shield block node right at your starting point, that costs you three points. For those same three points further in your tree, you can get 2% more block instead (up in one of the int shield clusters), and instead of wasting a point in strength and a point in melee damage, you will waste some points in bonus energy shield instead (not incredibly, but you get more block and some slightly more useful filler for you). And then, if you can spare two more points, the next 2% shield block gets easier to manage.
Last edited by Kraide on Mar 22, 2012, 1:13:30 AM
"
Kraide wrote:
while regeneration is based on your maximum mana it doesn't seem to decrease when you have mana reserved.
This is correct - reserving mana does not change your maximum mana. It just doesn't allow your current mana to rise above a certain level.
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info