Please remove/repurpose the XP gain penalty

"

"
TheNightFly wrote:

If you think the XP penalty is good, I have more good ideas.

All life recovery goes negative for 2 seconds when you get stunned.

Lose 80% damage on low mana.

Take 300% reflected damage on low energy shield.

A 20% chance that Argus will spawn when you open a container.

Lose consciousness and collapse to the ground on low life.

Lose all gear and gems on death.

That has zero comparison you're just literally making shit up lol

It's a game, it's all made up. But these ideas are just as reasonable as the XP penalty. I thought you would approve, now I'm confused.
Last edited by TheNightFly on Jan 9, 2019, 12:40:27 PM
"
TheNightFly wrote:
"

"
TheNightFly wrote:

If you think the XP penalty is good, I have more good ideas.

All life recovery goes negative for 2 seconds when you get stunned.

Lose 80% damage on low mana.

Take 300% reflected damage on low energy shield.

A 20% chance that Argus will spawn when you open a container.

Lose consciousness and collapse to the ground on low life.

Lose all gear and gems on death.

That has zero comparison you're just literally making shit up lol

It's a game, it's all made up. But these ideas are just as reasonable as the XP penalty. I thought you would approve, now I'm confused.

Well the last suggestion actually does exist... it's called Hardcore mode :)

On another note, you are complaining about an XP penalty when your highest character is in its 80s. If you think the XP penalty feels bad now wait until later.
"
Prizy wrote:
you are complaining about an XP penalty when your highest character is in its 80s.

She's a standard league char that took me a couple of months to reach level 80 with, now I just use her to test HC builds. So what's your point?

"
Prizy wrote:
If you think the XP penalty feels bad now wait until later.

POE is already not as fun as it should be. If it gets any worse I'm going to lose interest altogether. Not to be mean, just being honest.
Last edited by TheNightFly on Jan 9, 2019, 3:39:54 PM
Thing is it is just a system for those who have way too much free time. And also an xp penalty system should not exist in an online only game imo.

Since builds are basically as some say finished at 80-90 then why care for those to just have a few extra passive points ? If lvl 100 is such a challenge why do the majority just play it save to reach that point ?

The exp penalty is nothing more then wasting someone's time, something that is precious for those that do have a job and other things to care.

In the end i am also not asking to make the game easier. But exp penalty is not making the game harder but more of a waste of time.
"
JeroenXP wrote:
In the end i am also not asking to make the game easier. But exp penalty is not making the game harder but more of a waste of time.

The xp penalty is 100% making the game harder.

It punishes you for playing content you are not ready for.
It punishes you for not paying attention to telegraphed attacks, map mods, rare monster mods, strongbox mods, syndicate buffs (or whatever you died to).
It punishes you for playing unoptimized or greedy builds (damage > mitigation/life).

And the punishment is real, it really is super annoying to lose 10% xp at lvl 90+. This adds some weight to your failure, you cannot just "reload and try again", you failed and you got punished.

What this should do: motivate you to make changes to your build, gear and playstyle so that you do not die anymore. The choices you make, they mean something.

What is seems to do: people make forum threads complaining about it instead of trying to "git gud". Oh well.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
"
Peterlerock wrote:

"
JeroenXP wrote:

The xp penalty is 100% making the game harder.

It punishes you for playing content you are not ready for.
It punishes you for not paying attention to telegraphed attacks, map mods, rare monster mods, strongbox mods, syndicate buffs (or whatever you died to).
It punishes you for playing unoptimized or greedy builds (damage > mitigation/life).

And the punishment is real, it really is super annoying to lose 10% xp at lvl 90+. This adds some weight to your failure, you cannot just "reload and try again", you failed and you got punished.

What this should do: motivate you to make changes to your build, gear and playstyle so that you do not die anymore. The choices you make, they mean something.

What is seems to do: people make forum threads complaining about it instead of trying to "git gud". Oh well.

Nobody gets to level 90 with a bad build and nobody above level 90 dies from making stupid newbie mistakes. High level characters only die from cheap AI and balancing issues. It doesn't matter how good you are, it's not a matter of skill or comprehension or IQ. There comes a point when there's nothing you can do to not die and punishment won't teach you anything because there's nothing to learn. It's just pointless torture.
Last edited by TheNightFly on Jan 14, 2019, 1:48:00 AM
"
TheNightFly wrote:
For example, if you have a character at level 50, you can only kill mobs between levels 44 and 56 without taking a penalty to XP gain. If you kill mobs under level 44 or above 56, you gain less XP than normal. That's what I'm asking to be removed.

-> You want to get xp faster ( and more easily then, since each death would have less impact ).

You realize that the speed at which players acquire experience is intended ?
That if this penalty would come to be removed ( which it won't ), then GGG would need to nerf the experience gains to compensate, remove some incentive to running higher content ???

This penalty is like the only thing that puts an incentive to run red maps outside of loots xp-wise ....
You lack experience, you don't understand how to progress at comfortable speed and you have no clue of the impact that such a change would have on the game overall.

You need to adapt to the game ( or play another game which will let you level up faster I guess ), not the other way around.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
Fruz wrote:
-> You want to get xp faster ( and more easily then, since each death would have less impact ).

Yes.

"
Fruz wrote:

You realize that the speed at which players acquire experience is intended?

Of course.

"
Fruz wrote:

That if this penalty would come to be removed ( which it won't ), then GGG would need to nerf the experience gains to compensate, remove some incentive to running higher content ???

To compensate for what? There's nothing wrong with the raw XP gain.

"
Fruz wrote:

This penalty is like the only thing that puts an incentive to run red maps outside of loots xp-wise ....

It kills my incentive to play. It probably kills it for other players too.

"
Fruz wrote:

You lack experience,

I've been playing since 2011.

"
Fruz wrote:

you don't understand how to progress at comfortable speed and you have no clue of the impact that such a change would have on the game overall. You need to adapt to the game ( or play another game which will let you level up faster I guess ), not the other way around.

Instead of wasting words calling people stupid, you should try sharing what you claim to know. Everyone progresses at their own speed and I know for a fact that this change would make it a better experience, especially in HC and at higher levels.
Last edited by TheNightFly on Jan 10, 2019, 9:14:20 AM
"
TheNightFly wrote:

"
Fruz wrote:

You lack experience,

I've been playing since 2011.

You lack experience, a serious amount.
Trust your mind and strengthen your abilities!
"
TheNightFly wrote:
"
Fruz wrote:

Yes.

"
Fruz wrote:

You realize that the speed at which players acquire experience is intended?

Of course.

"
Fruz wrote:

To compensate for what? There's nothing wrong with the raw XP gain.

You really think that it would be good for the game if you could get to level 100 easily ?
You don't see how streamers would just quit much faster, and potentially all the streaming coverage could die or be significantly reduced ?
You don't see how dying would matter very little and people would run around with glass canons because building defenses in SC would pretty much just be pointless ??

Yes, you lack experience, and a lot of it.
You are not seeing the big picture, you want the game to be easier to you, and that's it.
This does not mean that you are stupid, only that you do not have the experience to fully understand the implication of what you are asking for.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Jan 10, 2019, 9:48:04 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info