Reflecting on Past Releases Part 2

And maybe when Reflecting on Past Releases part 3 comes, then I might see the one that went on when I was joining in.

Nice to see these ones. Make me wished I had started a bit earlier with Path of Exile.
It is amazing how much better phase 2 is than phase 1.

I think it will be hard to ever top ascedancy / atlas of worlds as far as expansions go and delve as far as leagues go.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
I hate to see how much fun and really well made content i missed all those years, if i only knew of the existence of this game :´C i wouldn't waste so much time searching and playing other ARPG's...still, i'm loving each day your work, art and content policy GGG, happy to say i'm a fan! :D
"
Would wish ingame had more such cinematics. Everything looks waaay more amazing that way and the game really lacks that, since it is drowning now in tomes of text (which is not bad), but that would be a great polishing. More clear story by itself of what is going on. A lot of people who are playing from long ago can't even tell you exactly what is going on ingame:D Had to look it up on youtube....some people made a lore video.

Does anyone know where did they get the quotes from the labyrinth or what inspired them? Seems like interesting stuff, when you hear them and think what was said, makes your mind wonder:)

Ah yes, and for years now I’ve wondered “just what exactly is going on?” Cut scenes would be awesome, I give it to Diablo for having intriguing cutscenes but then again, a lot of other games do. Would love to see this added.
"
Beggioit wrote:
I hate to see how much fun and really well made content i missed all those years, if i only knew of the existence of this game :´C i wouldn't waste so much time searching and playing other ARPG's...still, i'm loving each day your work, art and content policy GGG, happy to say i'm a fan! :D

Think of it this way - you're actually in a better position. Us older players had to also deal with all the accompanying bugs and balance issues that every one of these leagues launched with. As well as the general lower optimization of the game itself. But almost all these league mechanics (save Talisman, and even with that the talismans themselves can be Beastcrafted now) have made it into the core game. So you're still getting to experience all these league mechanics, albeit less often but in a more polished and balanced state.
not add talisman in core game was 1 of the bigest mistakes from GGG .....

they made real great decisions but also incredible wrong choices , like that one.
learning is a painful process ... knowledge is the most deadly weapon.
Last edited by xxxcobaltxxx on Jan 2, 2019, 11:15:35 PM
"
JMurphy wrote:
"
Would wish ingame had more such cinematics. Everything looks waaay more amazing that way and the game really lacks that, since it is drowning now in tomes of text (which is not bad), but that would be a great polishing. More clear story by itself of what is going on. A lot of people who are playing from long ago can't even tell you exactly what is going on ingame:D Had to look it up on youtube....some people made a lore video.

Does anyone know where did they get the quotes from the labyrinth or what inspired them? Seems like interesting stuff, when you hear them and think what was said, makes your mind wonder:)

Ah yes, and for years now I’ve wondered “just what exactly is going on?” Cut scenes would be awesome, I give it to Diablo for having intriguing cutscenes but then again, a lot of other games do. Would love to see this added.

They've said in the past that they aren't into cutscenes. They cost a lot and give very little in return (cos, after the first time, people just skip them). Makes more sense for story-driven games rather than fast-paced ARPG's. GGG is nothing if not efficient - for instance, their more than DOUBLING of the size of the game with Fall of Oriath (which we'll see next week) relied heavily on re-used assets (and they're open about that policy, btw).

They quietly added a short cutscene to the Kitava awakening thing after you kill Avarius in Act 5, but that in itself tells you something - because they didn't make it. It was made by Tencent for the China game's trailer, and then they simply borrowed it to put into the regular game. Cutscenes and elaborate cinematics are not something they're interested in investing into - sorta the opposite approach from most other game companies that put a lot into them for 1-shot splash marketing reasons, but GGG seems content to grow steadily and based on mostly gameplay footage - and I think a lot of the community agrees with them on that stance (due to having been burned too many times by other companies and their lavish trailers, presentation and marketing shenanigans).
Last edited by Exile009 on Jan 2, 2019, 11:17:12 PM
Rather enjoy the retrospective. I played every one of these leagues except Talisman (I have often "taken a league off" to keep my enjoyment of the game up.) Its really amazing when I think back how much better the leagues have gotten as well as how much better the game has gotten over that time. Betrayal is full circle for me as I started with Forsaken Masters and now that entire system is replaced. One of the best things GGG does is eventually getting around to fixing everything that sort of lacks polish. At this point, all of the core game systems feel relatively modern, the master system was the last which felt outdated. There's still a bit of smoothing needed here and there but I think if you started today it wouldn't feel like a 6-7 year old game in any meaningful way.

Most of the obvious work to do now is with core systems - making the systems a bit more transparent and I certainly long for the day the PoB is obsoleted like Procurement because the tools are there in the client itself.

I have total faith in the team to get there on everything, though. Plenty of things I anticipated would always just be "PoE problems" that you had to look past while enjoying the core experience are relics of the past and I fully expect they'll get there on everything else eventually.
"
Alrightythen wrote:
Why is fixed desync in quotation marks?

Is it: "fixed" ? :o

"Despite this huge amount of content, there is a strong argument to be made that the most notable improvement was the introduction of Lockstep mode, which "fixed desync".

"FIXED my ass has also been "fixed"

Its by no means "fixed" for predictive mode, I wonder if they are still working on it for people with pings higher than 185 or around there.

To Die Is Not An Option, To Fight Until DIESync Is The Only Answer. ☺☻☺

Happy Hunting Exiles.
Ok, sooo... I joined in prophecy, then it ended and I was confused, skipped breach and rejoined in legacy to finally learn what's it all about. I SKIPPED BREACH. ;_;
Smile! <3

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info