👉 Game performance degrades rapidly over time. Easy 100% reproduction steps inside

There is a very big problem with game performance degrading over time. Presumably because of a memory\resources leaks. It's very easy to reproduce just by doing nothing. Simply stand afk in Oriath (even alt-tabed) for an hour or two in a crowded gateway (London on Standard for me) and your FPS will eventually drop from 60 to 7-8 and the only way to get it back to normal is to exit to character selection or change in-game zone (no need to reboot client).

Some screenshots:

7 fps after standing in town for two hours

60 fps right after I hit exit to character selection and logged again. Same time, same location, same people around

My video settings:

Changing video options, directx version, dynamic resolution does nothing.

PC specs: CPU: i7-7700K 4.5 GHz, RAM: 32 gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400 MHz, Motherboard: ASUS STRIX Z270H GAMING, GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6 gb, SSD: 512 GB M.2 Plextor M8Pe(G), Power: Chieftec A-80 Series 750W
Last edited by MisaMisa on Mar 8, 2019, 4:39:21 AM
Last bumped on Apr 24, 2019, 7:58:46 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
im unable to reproduce this bug, i leave my game running 24/7 and my fps never goes below 100 in hideout or cities.

but yeah i saw a lot of posts on reddit about it, so im sure something is happening.

i7 8700k
gtx 1070
16gb hyper X ddr4 2400
ASUS ROG STRIX Z270-E GAMING
I miss harvest, 36/40 never forget.
Mirror drop - Strand clear speed meta legacy league month "5"
Mirror drop - Canyon casual farming harby ultimatum league month "1"
now i'm a main standard league player.
league content on standard when? GGG! show us some love.
I don't have this issue after 15+ hours in Oriath.
The only difference I have is Engine Multithreading set to Enabled.
im having the same problems. Its only started recently. The game runs fine for a few minutes after reloading then starts to degrade. Its really frustrating
(0) Updated drivers and bios and windows and DxDiag Report txt (via pastebin.com)? No macros, no other programs in the background (eg Chrome w HW acceleration on) (see 2 - Task Manager)
(1) Why do you have multithreading disabled on a i7-7700K 4.5 GHz ? Please enable it.
(2) Please keep the task manager open and report back: ram usage over time, disk, CPU. Other programs behaviour.
(3) Also, do other AAA games show the same behaviour?
(4) Is there a difference between Windowed and Full Screen?
(5) Is there a difference when on lowest graphics settings?
(6) Launch Option "-gc 2" See poe wiki launch options
(7) Your RAM, is that 2x16? Please try, on the off chance, to put one stick out and run single-channel 16gb, to rule out odd behaviour from the RAM.

btw This is not a bug (everyone has), this is a Technical Problem you have, should belong in the Technical Problem section.
"
(0) Updated drivers and bios and windows and DxDiag Report txt (via pastebin.com)? No macros, no other programs in the background (eg Chrome w HW acceleration on) (see 2 - Task Manager)
(1) Why do you have multithreading disabled on a i7-7700K 4.5 GHz ? Please enable it.
(2) Please keep the task manager open and report back: ram usage over time, disk, CPU. Other programs behaviour.
(3) Also, do other AAA games show the same behaviour?
(4) Is there a difference between Windowed and Full Screen?
(5) Is there a difference when on lowest graphics settings?
(6) Launch Option "-gc 2" See poe wiki launch options
(7) Your RAM, is that 2x16? Please try, on the off chance, to put one stick out and run single-channel 16gb, to rule out odd behaviour from the RAM.

btw This is not a bug (everyone has), this is a Technical Problem you have, should belong in the Technical Problem section.

Thanks for reply:
0) https://pastebin.com/CgWbVjYN not running macros or anything. HW acceleration disabled in chrome.
1) Multithreading dies not affect this problem, I tried it. Disabled because it causes multiple crashes.
2) All looks normal, CPU load barely hits 5%, coolers are quiet, no "miners" or other shady things are running
3) Just POE, I'm playing GTA, last Metro, Resident Evil 2 remake etc with no problems at all.
4) No, tried it
5) No, tried it
6) Trying it now | Upd: no luck, down to 15 fps in a few hours of standing
7) Ugh, don't wanna do that

I reported this in bug report section because it's clearly looks like a memory\resources leak or something and I have every steps to reproduce it. People joining town in and out with their fancy MTX and my fps just drops over time. And even dynamic resolution is not working, I'm not getting "blury picture" even when it hits 8 FPS. If I stand solo in my HO it's all good.
Last edited by MisaMisa on Mar 7, 2019, 4:39:33 AM
From Your DXdiag:

Operating System: Windows 7 Профессиональная 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.150316-1654)

"
"Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 13, 2015, but extended support won't end until January 14, 2020."

Sure. Microsoft is still pushing security updates. But mainstream support (which your SW case could be) stopped 2015.

This is IMHO a big caveat. Anyway:

(1) Please monitor (task manager) how big the poe.exe get.
(2) Try the 32bit in the POE folder with and without the launch option for garbage collection "-gc 2"
(3) Watch the Windows Event Viewer for anything off. I assume POE does not crash eventually? Can you let it run overnight, till it eventually crashes, and we get told by the Event Viewer what happened?

I am not aware that GGG TechSupport supports troubleshooting with Event Viewer (otherwise it would be a sticky in the forum). POE generates crash logs that get sent to GGG, that I know/they said.) https://steamcommunity.com/app/387990/discussions/0/405692224241302769/ Post the info in a readable format in a pastebin.com document and post the url here.

Here is a POE example: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2451102 and just YouTube Search 'how to use the Windows Event Viewer'.

(4) btw. The C: drive is an SSD. With not even 10gb free space left. If you have not fiddled around with the Windows page file, you should have at least (a) 20gb (20% of SSD) free space on the SSD for performance reasons (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2327557/page/1#p16228200) and (b) space for the page file. For more see Windows 7 documentation:

"
Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Minimum page file size 1 × RAM

System-managed page files - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2860880/how-to-determine-the-appropriate-page-file-size-for-64-bit-versions-of

(5) Win7 64bit + 32GB RAM + point (4):

This could be an SW/HW edge case "mainstream support". I really recommend testing this. Take one stick out, run w 16gb single channel. And have enough free space left on the SSD: minimum 20gb in this case (if page file is managed by Windows). Let POE run 1-2 hours.

"

(6) FINAL SOLUTION: Windows 10.

You can test if this is a 'my pc + software' problem and NOT a POE problem (if POE had a widespread memory leak problem (since 2013 1.0), the forum and reddit would be full of it) by downloading Windows 10 for free and installing it on a separate HDD/SSD. Install drivers. Let POE run for an hour. The installation will be fully functional (except optical/visual desktop effects - Personalization) and will have the watermark till you register/activate the installation.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
Last edited by RPGNoobANKA on Mar 7, 2019, 8:45:05 PM
"
RPGNoobANKA wrote:
From Your DXdiag:

Operating System: Windows 7 Профессиональная 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.150316-1654)

"
"Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 on January 13, 2015, but extended support won't end until January 14, 2020."

Sure. Microsoft is still pushing security updates. But mainstream support (which your SW case could be) stopped 2015.

This is IMHO a big caveat. Anyway:

(1) Please monitor (task manager) how big the poe.exe get.
(2) Try the 32bit in the POE folder with and without the launch option for garbage collection "-gc 2"
(3) Watch the Windows Event Viewer for anything off. I assume POE does not crash eventually? Can you let it run overnight, till it eventually crashes, and we get told by the Event Viewer what happened?

I am not aware that GGG TechSupport supports troubleshooting with Event Viewer (otherwise it would be a sticky in the forum). POE generates crash logs that get sent to GGG, that I know/they said.) https://steamcommunity.com/app/387990/discussions/0/405692224241302769/ Post the info in a readable format in a pastebin.com document and post the url here.

Here is a POE example: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2451102 and just YouTube Search 'how to use the Windows Event Viewer'.

(4) btw. The C: drive is an SSD. With not even 10gb free space left. If you have not fiddled around with the Windows page file, you should have at least (a) 20gb (20% of SSD) free space on the SSD for performance reasons (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2327557/page/1#p16228200) and (b) space for the page file. For more see Windows 7 documentation:

"
Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Minimum page file size 1 × RAM

System-managed page files - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2860880/how-to-determine-the-appropriate-page-file-size-for-64-bit-versions-of

(5) Win7 64bit + 32GB RAM + point (4):

This could be an SW/HW edge case "mainstream support". I really recommend testing this. Take one stick out, run w 16gb single channel. And have enough free space left on the SSD: minimum 20gb in this case (if page file is managed by Windows). Let POE run 1-2 hours.

"

(6) FINAL SOLUTION: Windows 10.

You can test if this is a 'my pc + software' problem and NOT a POE problem (if POE had a widespread memory leak problem (since 2013 1.0), the forum and reddit would be full of it) by downloading Windows 10 for free and installing it on a separate HDD/SSD. Install drivers. Let POE run for an hour. The installation will be fully functional (except optical/visual desktop effects - Personalization) and will have the watermark till you register/activate the installation.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Thanks again for reply.
Yeah, my Win7 is a bit outdated (date of OS install is 2011, haha, I didn't even reinstalled OS when I changed my entire PC), but I don't feel like updating any time soon because everything working perfectly except PoE when I stand in town.

1) It gets bigger and bigger, started with 2.6 GB, now it's 3.2 after a few hours. I think I've seen it earlier to raise over 4 GB. Upd: it's 4.2 GB now after few hours more
2) It still runs 64 bit version ~_~
3) Will try that probably, although it would be really hard to crash the game by waiting because of 32 GB RAM available
4) My swap file is 20 GB and it's on E drive with 125 GB available space
5) Maybe will try that eventually, I just don't like to turn off my PC, it can work perfectly without reboot for months (last uptime was 101 day).
6) Don't want to install Win 10

I still think it's a game problem because when I change in-game zones my FPS jumps back to normal again. So the game knows how to cleanup all this problematic things, it just not doing it. And the forum and reddit not full of it because probably most people don't stand alt-tabbed in town like me for all day, haha. When I play the game normally the problem won't occur. It only noticeable when I stand in town.
Last edited by MisaMisa on Mar 8, 2019, 11:40:21 AM
Similar problem here. When start POE, FPS in hideout are 265. After ran 5-10 maps FPS in hideout are 140-150. On maps is the same. FPS average 140-160, gpu usage 80-90%. After 5-10 maps fps are 40-80 and gpu usage is 30-50%. Restart the game fixing the problem. Actually I restart game every 2 hours. POE is most bugged game ever.

Clean install Windows 10 Home. Video driver is updated.
Last edited by banizasboza on Apr 24, 2019, 8:00:09 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info