[3.5] The Notorious DOT - Vortex & Cold Snap Trapper (Budget - League Starter)

The Notorious DOT - Explanation, Pros & Cons

•Vortex and Cold Snap traps - deal massive DOT damage
•Should be more consistent boss damage, since you don't have to constantly throw traps to maintain DPS. Having to run for your life in between throwing traps usually means a DPS loss, but not with DOT!
•You throw 1 of each trap and the damage just ticks away! When the damage dealing ground effects expire, throw your 2 traps again.
•Use Decoy totem to keep bosses in the DOT effects.
•Cheap and easy to scale. Easily under 1ex to gear!

Where does our damage come from?
•Stack Cold DOT multiplier with Spine of First Claiment, Rime Gaze, Skill nodes, Jewels with cold DOT.
•Flame Golem in Malachais Artifice ring applies -50 cold res to anything it hits
•Orb of Storms to easy crit to get 40% more ele dmg.
•Frostbite curse on Blasphemy.
•Arcane Surge on Flame Dash
•Frenzy Charges from Cold Snap, Master Sapper, Tinkerskin if you can afford it.

Pros:
•Safe playstyle, good for new players.
•DPS never stops while you move to dodge/reposition
•No unique items required,build works perfectly fine with all rares
•Scales really well with unique items, which are all cheap! (20c or less each)
•Can do any map mod! No-regen is kinda rough, but doable if you manage mana flask well.

Cons:
•You throw single traps, so you have to have decent aim and throw them right onto boss/mobs.
•Lots of button to mash for max boss dps.

Playstyle
•For maps, just flame dash around and throw your 2 traps into packs to delete them. Easy.

•For bosses: Drop Decoy Totem, Drop Orb of Storms, throw both traps, chug all damage flask, Flame Dash away from danger.
•When Vortex/Cold Snap ground effect goes away, repeat the cycle.

Come by and chat if you have anything to discuss about this build!

🐖TheNotoriousPIG's Twitch Live Stream Channel🐖

Videos
Spoiler
Coming Soon!

Progress during Betrayal League!

Path of Building -Lvl 94- Budget Gear - lvl 20/0% Gems
Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/UqBFs0xh

Jewels!
Spoiler
Always look for jewels with 4% increased cold damage over time!

additional modes to look for:
-Trap Damage
-Trap throwing speed
-Area damage
-Cold damage

Skill Gems Setup
Spoiler

•Body Armour: Vortex - Trap - Trap and Mine Damage - Efficacy - Controleld Destruction - Concentrated Effect (Can use Increased AoE for mapping)

•In Helm: Cold Snap - Trap - Trap and Mine Damage - Bonechill

•CWDT(lvl 2) - Immortal Call (lvl 2) - Frost Bomb (lvl 10 - Increased Duration

•Orb of Storms - Increased Critical Strikes - Increased AoE - Faster Casting

•Flame Dash - Faster Casting - Arcane Surge (lvl 7)

•Blasphemy - Frostbite - Decoy Totem

•In Ring: Flame Golem

Class and Ascendencies

Spoiler
•Class: Shadow
•Ascendency: Saboteur
1st: Perfect Crime
2nd: Chain Reaction
3rd: Born in the Shadows
4th: Pyromaniac

The DPS from Explosives Expert was barely over 10k and the AoE only gives us 1 extra radius. I prefer the sustain Pyromaniac gives over the very small AoE and dmg boost. This allows us to still have some life sustain without getting a Tinkerskin. 1

Pantheons
Spoiler

Major: Soul of the Brine King

•Capture The Forgotten Soldier in Conservatory Map
•Capture Puruna, The Challenger in Atoll Map
•Capture Nassar, Lion of the Seas in Reef Map

Helps us against stuns, freezes and chill so we can kite better.

Minor: Garukhan, Ryslatha or Shakari would all be good

Garukhan
•Capture Stalker of the Endless Dunes in Dig Map

-Evasion and movement speed are great for us

•Ryslatha
Capture Gorulis, Will-Thief in Infested Valley Map

-This is a major buff to our insant life flask

•Shakari
Capture Terror of the Infinite Drifts in

-Chaos damage really hurts our low life pool

Last edited by TheNotoriousPIG on Dec 17, 2018, 10:36:56 PM
Last bumped on Dec 30, 2018, 12:48:15 PM
thank u for the bd..it looks cool, going to try it right now,
On the right side of the tree, curious why you took "Devastating Devices" instead of the 2 "Trap and Mine Damage" nodes on the bottom of that circle. (adjusted in this link: http://poeurl.com/cc97) You're getting damage from your DoT, not critting traps, so seems a waste to get crit on your traps (unless you're trying to proc Elemental Overload, which you mentioned is the job of Orb of storms.) Freeing that one point let's you take "Aracanist Dominion", which gives some spell damage and Int for ES, but maybe you have a specific reason for those crit trap nodes?

Love the build, I'm working on something similar and may steal some of your ideas!

Rand118
"
Rand118 wrote:
On the right side of the tree, curious why you took "Devastating Devices" instead of the 2 "Trap and Mine Damage" nodes on the bottom of that circle. (adjusted in this link: http://poeurl.com/cc97) You're getting damage from your DoT, not critting traps, so seems a waste to get crit on your traps (unless you're trying to proc Elemental Overload, which you mentioned is the job of Orb of storms.) Freeing that one point let's you take "Aracanist Dominion", which gives some spell damage and Int for ES, but maybe you have a specific reason for those crit trap nodes?

Love the build, I'm working on something similar and may steal some of your ideas!

Rand118

No reason, I think I was just on auto-pilot mode when taking that entire wheel and didn't really think much about it. I messed with the PoB and apparently, Devastating Devices and High Explosives doesn't add to our DOT damage at all, I guess because we reduce so much res with Frostbite and EE. So, next time I hope on I plan to respec out of both of those as the small crit node to free up 3 points.
Just killed uber izaro at 66, easiest izaro ever lol , nice build
Hi,

quick question: how do u generate frenzy charges with this build?
Couldn't find any skill or way to generate them in your guide. Since you won't get any charges from Cold Snap itself, because its not "you" that casts the spell its the trap that does (took me a while to figure this out...)

Im leveling this char atm because it seems like a lot of fun but Cold Snap's cooldown is kind of annoying :)

Ty in advance for a short reply
Last edited by D4rKEli on Dec 30, 2018, 9:56:54 AM
"
D4rKEli wrote:
Hi,

quick question: how do u generate frenzy charges with this build?
Couldn't find any skill or way to generate them in your guide. Since you won't get any charges from Cold Snap itself, because its not "you" that casts the spell its the trap that does (took me a while to figure this out...)

Im leveling this char atm because it seems like a lot of fun but Cold Snap's cooldown is kind of annoying :)

Ty in advance for a short reply

There's a node called Master Sapper over by Acro/Phase Acro that gives us a chance to gain a frenzy whenever a trap is triggered by an enemy.

While leveling you can use other traps like Arc or Lightning Trap to clear and just use Vortex + Cold Snap for boss fights. Since we scale elemental/trap damage from tree other traps will still deal enough damage to clear packs until end game.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info