Minions summend by totems

Hi,

I have a question because it totally confuses me and if I ask in Chat or look at the wiki I get different answers for my questions. Also many answers I got, were wrong. (e.g. i was told if a totem summons a minion, it won't proc puppet master)

My question is his:

How do Minions, summoned by totems scale?

What I think how they scale:
If I put a Totem Support onto a minion gem, they get -30% damage, but scale up with skill points like Shamanistic Fury.

Why do I think this?
-By putting a totem On my minions they lost damage (I couldn't really look for numbers, but it just feels that way)
-A Raging Spirit summoned by a Totem DOES proc Puppet Master from Necromancer (you can see it in the Character -> Misc overview)

I'm leveling my Necromancer right now and even though I took only few minion talents, my minions deal a lot of damage (I guess it's because of the +totem damage talents)

So what I ask you is, can anyone confirm that a Minion Summoned by a Totem does scale with Totem Damage Increases/Decreases or is my 'feeling' just bad.
Or even better: Is there anyway to get the Damage of my Raging Spirits as a Number?

And a bit more in detail:
Does it Scale with Minion Instability?

Greetings
Last edited by LexScript on Dec 12, 2018, 5:43:24 AM
Last bumped on Dec 13, 2018, 3:55:35 AM
Hey LexScript,

I hope you're enjoying the Betrayal league!

Now to your question... How do minions summoned by totems scale? The short answer is (at least concerning the passive tree) that minions only scale from MINION specific nodes. So Totem Damage nodes such as Shamanistic Fury do not affect a summoned minions damage.

The best way to see this, see damage numbers and experiment with passive trees, gear and how it affects your minions damage is on 'Path of Building' - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1716360 . It is super useful and in many instances has information which is missing from in-game (such as minion damage numbers, Spectre attack info, the fact Agony Crawler deals Chaos damage, etc).

Hope this information helped and good luck with your Necromancer :)

"The key to winning any fight is simply staying alive."
Last edited by WARPAINTER on Dec 12, 2018, 7:51:00 AM
Hi Warpainter!

Thanks for your quick answer and yes I love betrayal!

Sorry for asking this, I really appreciate your answer, but where did your get this information? I have to ask, because people told me many things about this, because of assumptions or because it was in path of building.
(most people in chat were really clear about puppet master not procing if the minion is summoned by a totem)

While Path of Building is an awesome tool it isn't always correct. One example where this is obvious is the new impale mechanic.
While impale should work with minions, path of building completely ignores it in it's calculations (You can go for Champions Master of Metal e.g. but it won't show up in any calculation, at least in my version)

So it could be that, even though it works there is just a missing link in the pobs code between minions and totems.

If minions won't scale with totems that would also be okay, because I would build something with multiple totems support, darK pact, suicide skeletons and Minion Instability, since the dmg decrease wouldn't affect any of this skills. (or does it affect dark pact?)

they don't scale with totem nodes on the tree

what works

support gems(which correspond to there attack/cast type...ie melee supports work with zombros, caster supports work with caster spectres). and minion tagged gems obviously

things specifically tag minion or allies

debuffs/change of states placed on the mob(curses, shocks, duelist worthy foe node, etc).

what doesn't

they are not considered party members so things like templars harmony of purpose node does not work.

trap and totem nodes even if they are summoned from the totem because the totem isn't doing the damage and the totem has its own life pool(totems act like the player is the easiest way to view it)
Last edited by Pemmin on Dec 12, 2018, 10:38:14 AM
Totem damage does not scale minions cast from totems, but the damage reduction from the totem support gem still applies. So your raging spirits summoned from totems do less damage overall, but then you have the benefit of not having to summon them yourself.
"
LexScript wrote:

Sorry for asking this, I really appreciate your answer, but where did your get this information?

While Path of Building is an awesome tool it isn't always correct. One example where this is obvious is the new impale mechanic.
While impale should work with minions, path of building completely ignores it in it's calculations... (You can go for Champions Master of Metal e.g. but it won't show up in any calculation, at least in my version)

So it could be that, even though it works there is just a missing link in the pobs code between minions and totems.

If minions won't scale with totems that would also be okay, because I would build something with multiple totems support, darK pact, suicide skeletons and Minion Instability, since the dmg decrease wouldn't affect any of this skills. (or does it affect dark pact?)

Where did I find out that Totem Damage does not affect the damage of minions summoned by Totems.

I've played a menagerie of builds myself in the past - including SRS Totems - and I've hit questions then went hunting answers on these forums, the wiki and in streams and youtube videos.

I've always sought a GGG official response to my questions (as this in my mind is the most reliable source of information). In the case of your question I was able to find a GGG staff post. I was pretty sure I'd found one in the past when I did my SRS Totem build.

When I haven't found a GGG staff post I've had to agree with the consensus (specifically posters who I've come to regard as more knowledgeable and reliable such as valued posters, ZiggyD and Engineering Eternity YouTube sources and guides which are supremely detailed and widely viewed).

Anyways here is the post where Mark_GGG mentions that Totem Damage does not affect minions summoned by Totems. Just search page for Shamanistic Fury to go straight to part of page you want. To my knowledge (browsing through patch notes each release) this is still accurate.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1676002/page/29

Now you mentioned Path of Building and Impale. Yeah I get what you're saying as Shattering Steel, Lancing Steel and Dread Banner don't show Impale damage numbers yet as well. Maybe it hasn't been added yet as Openarl is a busy person now they're working at GGG. Dunno sorry.

As has been mentioned in this post (and is also confirmed by Mark_GGG in the post I linked you) the LESS damage from Spell Totem Support and Multiple Totem Support will affect anything they're linked with including minions.

Have fun mate.

"The key to winning any fight is simply staying alive."
Last edited by WARPAINTER on Dec 12, 2018, 5:00:45 PM
Thank you all very much. I started working through the linked thread and it gave me quite a better understanding of game mechanics.

There is so much to know with added damage, increased damage, more damage, converted damage and so on. It's hard for me atm to calculate the best combination of talents (I'm not a fan of try and error if I didn't even fully understand the concept yet), but I guess path of planning will help me with this.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info