mix bag of questions

1. what is "endurance charge"?, and do I have any use of it as a raider?

2. Is Ice Shot an attack skill?

3. Can someone explain: "Damage with Weapons Penetrates"?

4. Is increasement of avoid elemental ailments a good investment on the passive tree?

5. In IGNs disastrous review of the game, they said that there was a way to auto-used spell, is it right or is it just more crap like the rest of the review?

Last bumped on Dec 13, 2018, 2:47:46 PM
Hey there :)

Its a defensive tool. Mostly used by characters on the left side of the tree.
Its not wrong to utilize them as a ranger, but its going to be hard to sustain them. Usually its not worth investing in endu charges as a ranger, frenzy charges are far more valuable for most ranger builds.

Yes.

This affix is important for attack based builds focused on ele dmg. Trash mobs dont have ele res (unless a map mod provides), but bosses do.
Penetration allows you to negate the bosses ele res to a degree and deal more dmg as a result

No

Its a thing yes. Like cast when damage taken + immortal call is a very popular combo, enabling phys dmg immunity for a very brief moment. If you want to utilize this, dont lvl the gems. Just let them sit on lvl1 to trigger them as often as possible.
That said: Not many build focus on cast when dmg taken, cast on melee kill or cast when stunned. Most build just use the cwdt + immortal call combo to avoid getting rekt by rapid succession hits dealing phys dmg and thats it.
Hi and welcome exile,

1. I can recommend to use the PoE wiki for common questions.
https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Endurance_charge
You can use it to mitigate physical damage.

2. Try to read the description of the gem carefully
Attack, Projectile, AoE, Duration, Cold, Bow

3. It refers to "elemental penetration" which is modifier that affects enemies resistance (reduce them).

4. It´s not worth taking it´s rather niche passive skill.

5. I haven´t read the review but it may refer to triggering skills that can be activated automatically.

See "cast when damage taken" gems and such.
Last edited by Rakiii on Dec 12, 2018, 5:35:54 AM
1. what is "endurance charge"?, and do I have any use of it as a raider?

Endurance charges are the little orange balls you will see floating around you if you are generating them. Each charge you gain grants +4% Physical Damage Mitigation and 4% Elemental Resistance. Both of which do exactly what they suggest, and lower incoming damage by 4%. By default you can sustain 3 of each charge type, Power, Frenzy, and Endurance. There are passives on the tree and in Ascendancies that allow you to generate more, or add to what the charges do. It is NOT difficult to sustain any charges for any character, you just need to know how and build for it.

2. Is Ice Shot an attack skill?

Yes, it is a bow attack skill. Mouse over the gem and towards the top will be all the tags that affect the gem.

3. Can someone explain: "Damage with Weapons Penetrates"?

This is a unique form of elemental penetration that only applies to attack based skills. That is to say, it will only apply to elemental damage that either comes directly from a weapon or from a skill with the "attack" tag on it. It will bypass an enemies resistance by the stated amount, and reductions in resistance counts as a "more" modifier, meaning they are multiplicative. That means that the damage is a percentage of the total value of elemental damage, rather than being added to the base. So if you do 1,000 cold damage, and you have 5% penetration, you gain 50 extra cold damage. These are important distinctions to understand in PoE to scale your damage to higher and higher values. Things that say "increased" damage, apply to the base damage, and things that say "more" damage apply to the total.

4. Is increasement of avoid elemental ailments a good investment on the passive tree?

That is a tough one. As an experienced player I would say it is not worth it because I will build immunity into my defenses or rely on good flask management to offset any shortcomings. However, if you are less experienced then it will provide a passive resistance to things like freeze, chill, burning, bleeding, etc.

5. In IGNs disastrous review of the game, they said that there was a way to auto-used spell, is it right or is it just more crap like the rest of the review?

There are several methods of automation available, and only for certain abilities. There are support gems like "Cast when damage taken" or "Cast on Crit" and "Curse on hit". These gems, when linked with the appropriate gems will cast their linked abilities when the criteria is met. So if you have Arctic Breath linked to Cast on Crit, you will not be able to cast Arctic Breath manually anymore but when you deal critical damage it will automatically cast it. Another common example would be Cast when Damage Taken linked to Immortal Call. When you take enough damage to overcome the threshold on the gem, it will automatically trigger Immortal Call.

There is a lot more to each of these categories. I could write a 10,000 page essay on it, and barely scratch the surface. That is the beauty of this game. There are so many varied and nuanced interactions and figuring out the most overpowered variants is the name of the game! Don't give up on it! The longer you play, the more you will understand and the more rewarding the game will become.
first, big thanks for all info

have some follow-up questions:

1. why can I not use "cast when damage taken" with "Enduring Cry"?
(I have sufficient low level for it to work)

2. Is "Damage with Weapons Penetrates" constant, and not chance based?

3. Any good way for a raider to get Fortify?
Enduring Cry isn't a "spell". It's a warcry. It used to work and every single build used it.

Most people use fortify in a 3 link with an attack based movement skill with faster attacks as the third link, if they get fortify at all.
Where there's one they're bound to divide it right in two.
"
Thebluewind3 wrote:
2. Is "Damage with Weapons Penetrates" constant, and not chance based?

It applies any % reduction shown all the time you hit smth (doesn´t work for damage over time effects).
Last edited by Rakiii on Dec 13, 2018, 2:47:59 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info