[3.5] Piercing Maelstrom of Steel - Lancing Steel Deadeye - 12 Million Shaper Dps - (Updated)

Build Theory

Spoiler
Lancing Steel is a skill that has:

Very high hit rate
-Makes the +30 life on-hit from the Deadeye Rupture passive very strong regen
-Allows us to stack poison stacks for vile toxins with minimal investment and a low poison chance.

Does 100% physical damage and applies impale increasing physical damage taken
-A 20 quality Lancing Steel gem that hits with 7 projectiles will increase physical damage taken by 16% with impale

Has range
-Scales with Far Shot

Scales with projectile damage while using melee weapons
-More option for dps in the passive tree allowing us to pick all the best ones

Scales off of added projectiles to a point
-Each added projectile does full damage so adding more really increases dps if we can make them all hit

Pros and Cons

Spoiler
+ Ranged
+ Fast clear
+ Good AoE
+ High attack speed
+ High single target dps
+ Good regen
+ 6k+ life

- Requires some positioning at times to get good dps coverage
- Doesn't like being in melee range for the best dps
- Hard to get max dps on small targets

Why...?

Spoiler
Why Deadeye?

Spoiler
Deadeye has all the dps scalings we care about and provides utility with free pierce and life on-hit, which our skill scales well off of. Without it we would have to use Vaal Pact to have enough regen in the build.

There are only two other ascendance worth considering:

-Champion
+ Has the same dps
+ 6% reduced damage taken and 2% life regen
+ War Banner reserves no mana

- Dps has a higher ramp time
- No attack speed to speed up clear times
- Have to path to and use Vaal Pact
- No free pierce

Assassin
+ Has higher dps if the enemy is alone and low life, significantly less if it doesn't
+ Culling Strike

- Dps has a higher ramp time
- No attack speed to speed up clear times
- Have to path to and use Vaal Pact
- No free pierce

Overall I feel Deadeye is the most well-rounded choice.

Why not elemental conversion?

Spoiler
To get 90% elemental conversion we need to path to the Winter Spirit node and use Hrimsorrow over Tombfists for gloves.

+ Better supports (+30% dps)
+ Better flasks (+10% dps)
+ Better dps mods on gear (+5% dps)
+ Better passive selections (+5% dps)

- No impale (-16% dps)
- Less skill points (-5% dps)
- Elemental resistance (-40% dps)
- No intimidate (-10% dps)
- No Tombfist and 2 abyss jewels (-10% dps)

So 50% - 81% = -31% dps loss by going elemental. Tinkering away on PoB I came to the same conclusion. No matter what I tried I couldn't beat physical.

Why not full physical with Brutality Support?

Spoiler
-No Herald of Ash (really needed for clearing)
-No Vile Toxins
-Worse flask choices
-Worse dps mod choices

Why pierce and not chain?

Spoiler
Chain may clear better but it is a significant dps loss to use chain over pierce for clearing when pierce works very well.

Why... lol jk How does impale work?

Spoiler
So if an attack successfully impales the game will take a snap-shot of the physical damage done by that attack and apply 10% of the snap-shotted damage to each of the next 5 hits as reflected physical damage. If you had a 100% impale chance it would mean 50% more physical damage taken. Unfortunately we don't have 100% impale chance. Lancing Steel's main projectile does but the extra ones do not. Their impale chance is based of gem quality any any other external chance you have. On the plus side impale is not limited to one stack at a time. Think if it as a poison stack, almost, with no duration but it only damages (ticks) when it its hit by a new attack up to 5 attacks.

With a 20% quality gem Lancing Steel's other projectiles have 20% chance to impale. I'm going to use 7 projectiles total in this example.

(6 secondary projectiles) * (0.20 impale chance) = 1.2
(1 primary projectile) * (1.00 impale chance) = 1
1.2 + 1 = 2.2
2.2 / (7 Number of total projectiles) = 0.314
(31.4% chance to apply impale and cause 50% more physical damage taken per attack over all projectiles)
0.314 * 0.5 = 0.157 or about 16% more physical damage taken

Passive Tree + Bandits

Spoiler
www.poeurl.com/cbNq

Start by heading over to the big sword wheel. After you get the sword wheel head up to the shadow area and after that the duelist area. Lastly get the big life wheel in the sion area and last pick up the jewel sockets and the frenzy charge nodes.

If not using Farrul's Fur put the 2 frenzy charge points into something else

Kill all bandits

Ascendancy - You need rupture second, other than that its pretty optional tho.

However, Gathering Winds -> Rupture -> Fast and Deadly -> Powerful Precision is probably best. Just make sure your using a Pierce Support or have Lioneye's Vision until you have Powerful Precision.

Path of Building

Spoiler
https://pastebin.com/Z5rjpZ9H

PoB only calculates the dps for 1 projectile

Total DPS = (Total dps inc. poison + adrenaline dps inc. poison (champion node)) * 7 (number of projectiles)

Some of the rare gear is from an old character ignore the ele damage and accuracy mods.

Gems + Links

Spoiler
6-Link (Chest)

Lancing Steel
Vile Toxins
Vicious Projectiles

Maim
Damage on Full Life
Chance to Bleed

Slower Projectiles is better than Chance to Bleed (8% dps difference) but it makes the build feel bad and it costs more dps then it gains to make it better so I don't use it.

4-Link (Boots)

Whirling Blades
Faster Attacks

Fortify
Blood Magic

4 Socket 3-Link (Helmet)

Vaal Haste
War Banner
Increased Duration

Un-linked socket if using Farrul's Bite + Farrul's Fur other-wise free.

Less Duration

3 Links (Weapons)

Increased Duration
Cast when Damage Taken
(lvl 3)
Immortal Call (lvl 5)

Herald of Ash
Herald of Purity

Summon Lighting Golem

2-Link (Gloves)

Ancestral Protector
Culling Strike

Gear

Spoiler
Weapons

Spoiler
There are 3 viable weapon setups:

Beltimber Blade (lvl 66) + Beltimber Blade

+ Best Clear
+ Cheap

- Lowest Dps
- Hard to hit 9 projectiles on one target

Beltimber Blade + High Dps Foil

+ Good Clear
+ Best Dps (if you hit all 7 projectiles)

High Dps Foil + High Dps Foil

+ Best dps vs small targets (5 projectiles)
- Bad Clear
- Expensive
- Need to spec out of Gathering Winds into Far Shot

I recommend Beltimber Blade + High Dps Foil and possibly weapon swap for duel Beltimber Blades for clearing if you feel the need.

When looking for a high dps foil start your search looking for one with a minimum of 280 physical dps, 1.8 attacks per second, and 6.8% crit chance. Bonus points for foils with explicit crit multiplier, shaper/elder gain % of physical damage as extra fire/cold/lighting, quality, and chance to impale.

For leveling just use any high dps sword you can get your hands on until Beltimber Blade. For mapping duel Beltimber Blade works well until you can buy a nice foil.

Armor + Jewelry

Spoiler
Gloves

4 Options: dps order

- Tombfist (BiS by far) (lvl 36)
- Giant's Bane (lvl 23)
- Maligaro's Virtuosity (lvl 21)
- Rare (life and resists)

Helmet (40% Lancing Steel enchant is best)

3 Options: dps order

- Farrul's Bite (BiS by far) (lvl 57)
- Starkonja's Head (lvl 60)
- Rare (life and resists) if you need these, start with the helmet before other uniques

Chest

5 Options: dps order

- Farrul's Fur (BiS by Far) (must use with Farrul's Bite) (lvl 69)
- Lioneye's Vision (don't need the mana leach point) (lvl 59)
- Loreweave (80% max res) (lvl 64)
- Belly of the Beast (lots of life and some resists) (lvl 46)
- Rare (life and resists)

Don't want to pay for Farrul's Fur, use this version

Spoiler
Farrul's Bite + Lioneye's Vision

Change the helm 4-link to:

Herald of Ash
Herald of Purity
War Banner

Enlighten (lvl 3 should be fine, lvl 2 is probably passable)

And the 3-link you took the heralds from to:

Vaal Haste
Increased Duration
Summon Lighting Golem

And change the passive tree to this:

www.poeurl.com/cc4J

If you choose not to use lioneye's vision you will need to drop a point into the mana leach node by the sword wheel. If mana feels good you can move the points from Mana Flows into Druidic Rite for increased flask duration.

Overall only 10% dps downgrade for saving 20 exalts, not bad.

Rares (Boots, Belt, Rings, Amulet)

Tier List:

Tier 0: (Must have)
-X to X Physical Damage to Attacks (best rolls possible) (rings + amulet)
-crit multiplier (amulet)
-Life

Tier 1: (Must have enough till capped)
-All resist
-Fire/Cold/Lighting resist
-Base stats

Tier 2: (Nice to have)
-Non-elemental dps stats
-Shaper/Elder gain damage mods
-Extra strength (life)
-Move speed (boots)
-Evasion rating

Tier 3: (Don't need)
-Elemental dps mods
-Flat elemental damage
-Accuracy

Boots - This build is resist starved so two-toned is probably the best base

Belt - Stygian Vise

Rings - Steel Ring is best followed by Diamond for dps

Amulet - Whatever base gives you the base stats you need

Flasks + Jewels

Spoiler
Flasks

- Bubbing Divine Life Flask of Staunching (for bleed)
- Diamond Flask with freeze removal
- Sin's Rebirth
- Atziri's Promise
- Kiara's Determination or Taste of Hate

Jewels (5)

Prefixes: (2)

- crit multi while duel wielding
- crit multi with one-hand melee weapons
- crit multi with swords
- attack speed with swords
- physical damage with swords
- % life (expensive)

Suffixes: (2)

- global crit multi
- poison duration/chance (need 2 jewels to have this for vile toxins)
- resists if needed
- any other applicable dps mods

Abyss Jewels (3) (Murderous Eye needs to go in Tombfist socket)

Prefixes: (2)

- life (expensive)
- adds # to # physical damage to sword attacks

Suffixes: (2)

- adds # to # physical damage to attacks
- global crit multi
- attack speed if you have crit recently
- resists if needed
- any other applicable dps mods

To Do:
-Videos

Original Post

Spoiler
Hey guys! Been playing around with this skill alot here is what I got. 12 mil Shaper dps with everything going. Don't have this gear yet and some of it is left over from a different build but I got the setup down and it feels good to play.

https://pastebin.com/pZTapMdv

Tree:
www.poeurl.com/cbNq

Notes:
-Rares are not optimized
-Gem setups are not optimized
-Total DPS = (Total dps inc. poison + adrenaline dps (champion node)) * 7 (number of projectiles)
-Not likely to hit more than 7 projectiles on most targets. The spread gets to big.
-Hard to get all shot to land up close so I don't like point blank that is why its not in the build.
-Too much of dps sacrifice to get chain when pierce works pretty well.
-Not running brutality support because herald of ash, vile toxins, and flasks are op.

Buffs:
-Herald of Purity
-Herald of Ash (helps clear alot)
-Herald of Agony (mostly for poison chance)
-War Banner (adrenaline is op)

Weapons:
-Beltimber Blade (Far Shot + 2 addition projectiles op)
-high dps foil (jewelled foil is the best base)

6-Link:
-Lancing Steel (quality is important on this one, basically 10% MORE dps)
-Maim
-Damage on Full Life
-Vicious Projectiles
-Chance to Bleed (Slower Projectiles is better dps but I don't like the slow projectiles)
-Vile Toxins (don't care about poison dps just need 10 stacks to get the 50% more. At 62 hits a second with 40% chance to poison not to hard)

Will update after I play more and if there is interest in my version of the build.

Last edited by Savari94 on Dec 24, 2018, 8:06:59 PM
Last bumped on Apr 30, 2019, 1:23:13 PM
Looks interesting.
I'll waiting update ur guide.
Would this be HC viable?
"
Afieron wrote:
Would this be HC viable?

As I have it built right now, no. Its an evasion based build so the stars will align and you will die from time to time. Tho, I can still see this build working with some modifications. With some more defensive gearing and jewel selections you could definitely have a tougher character. I think 6.5k-7.5k life, 75%-90% melee/projectile damage avoidance, 30-50% damage reduction, and 80% max resistances are all doable with this build while still having 3-7 million dps. I think that should be good for HC.

If you want to go that route you will probably need to have loreweave, farrul's bite and be running dread banner instead of war banner for the increased fortify effectiveness buff. Also need to go for good life rolls anywhere you can get them.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by Savari94 on Dec 12, 2018, 7:34:11 PM
eh
Last edited by Zykor on Dec 13, 2018, 1:45:53 AM
I'm currently trying a very similar build, but i'm going for ricochet + chain support. In general LS seems to be a good single target skill. But clearing mechanics suck. Therefore Herald of Ash really is a must, even with chaining projectiles.

It looks like your build is stronger than mine, because Beltimber gives you farshot for free. I'll play my build a bit more and see how it goes. Eventuelly i'll respec to yours. But for optimizing things, instead of taking the 3 life nodes behind Revenge of the Hunted and Bloodrinker, i'd rather take Sniper and maybe even Nullification. And instead of taking the 2 projectile damage nodes at ranger start, i'd rather take Ballistic Mastery for similar damage, but higher projectile speed. That should help with clearing speed. Also unbound ailments is probably better than chance to bleed.

I'd also love to see a more detailed guide with other links and a leveling guide. And what's the source that you're poisoning your enemies with?
Last edited by Gr3mlin0815 on Dec 14, 2018, 9:19:15 AM
"
Gr3mlin0815 wrote:
I'm currently trying a very similar build, but i'm going for ricochet + chain support. In general LS seems to be a good single target skill. But clearing mechanics suck. Therefore Herald of Ash really is a must, even with chaining projectiles.

It looks like your build is stronger than mine, because Beltimber gives you farshot for free. I'll play my build a bit more and see how it goes. Eventuelly i'll respec to yours. But for optimizing things, instead of taking the 3 life nodes behind Revenge of the Hunted and Bloodrinker, i'd rather take Sniper and maybe even Nullification. And instead of taking the 2 projectile damage nodes at ranger start, i'd rather take Ballistic Mastery for similar damage, but higher projectile speed. That should help with clearing speed. Also unbound ailments is probably better than chance to bleed.

I'd also love to see a more detailed guide with other links and a leveling guide. And what's the source that you're poisoning your enemies with?

Hey thanks for the reply! To answer your questions this build does practically zero damage with poison and bleed so unbound ailments wouldn't be a very good choice. We don't care about the ailment damage tho we simply use them to enable the deadeye rupture passive and vile toxins. I do agree that chance to bleed isn't that amazing. Its actually the weakest support we use, but the flat damage it gives boosts your dps more than you'd think. There is only one support that is better than chance to bleed that im not using and it's slower projectiles. The reason I don't use is slower projectiles makes the build feel bad to play and the hoops you have to jump through to speed up your projectiles again cost you more dps than just not using it in the first place. I do however think the build plays just fine with the base line projectile speed. I have selected all the most efficient dps nodes including the two at the ranger start. Pathing to the projectile speed nodes or any other dps nodes just isn't as efficient point for point dps wise. I don't how familiar you are with Path of Building but I pasted the build link so you can check it for yourself. Same is true for the life nodes pathing to Nullification is only 2.5% life per point while the other three are 4% and 6% per point. Tho yes Nullification gives you 8% all res. I guess you could call the two extra points in the Revenge wheel interchangeable. 3% life or 8% all res, depends on the build, the other stats don't matter. Poison chance comes from the sword nodes (10% x 2) and herald of agony (20%). Tho I'm going to drop herald of agony for a change to poison jewel or 2. 85% reserved mana is too high and it cost to much dps to work around that. Anyways 25%-35% will be fine to maintain 10 poison stacks with how fast we hit our targets.

Wow that was a wall of text. I'll make some updates to the guide tomorrow in the meantime have fun.
Hey i just wanted to let you know that im currently trying your build and its a lot of fun so far. The clear speed in amazing with the fast attack speed+beltimber and no problem up to t15 so far. Haven't tried guardians and elder yet i need to upgrade my gear and i will.

What do you think about enchants? Im currently using 40% LS on starkonja but maybe there's something better like war banner effect or something?
Last edited by failpatrol on Dec 15, 2018, 12:30:59 AM
Is pob calculating lancing steel properly? I was checking the poison chance, and the calculations for max stacks. Every projectile has individual chance to poison, right? It seems that pob is only taking into account 1 projectile, but I'm not 100% sure. Can some one confirm?

Edit: Btw what bandits and pantheon are you using?
Last edited by Luscofusco on Dec 15, 2018, 2:29:42 PM
"
failpatrol wrote:
Hey i just wanted to let you know that im currently trying your build and its a lot of fun so far. The clear speed in amazing with the fast attack speed+beltimber and no problem up to t15 so far. Haven't tried guardians and elder yet i need to upgrade my gear and i will.

What do you think about enchants? Im currently using 40% LS on starkonja but maybe there's something better like war banner effect or something?

The 40% lancing steel damage is the best.

"
Interesting, how likely is it to hit all projectiles?

It all depends on the size of the target. You can make the projectiles move strait but you can't make them all focus on one point. Extra projectiles get added to the edge of the attack so the more you have the wider the spread is. I'd say you can expect to hit most things with 5 projectiles about 90% of the time, 7 projectiles 50-75% of the time, and 9 projectiles about 10-15% of the time. Thankfully most bosses have bigger model sizes so its easier to get max dps more often than percentages I posted. As you can see there is extreme diminishing returns after 7 projectiles, tho map clearing keeps getting better and better with more projectiles.

"
Is pob calculating lancing steel properly? I was checking the poison chance, and the calculations for max stacks. Every projectile has individual chance to poison, right? It seems that pob is only taking into account 1 projectile, but I'm not 100% sure. Can some one confirm?

Edit: Btw what bandits and pantheon are you using?

PoB only calculates the dps, poison stacks, and hit per second for 1 projectile. You can easily check this by speccing in and out of the Deadeye Endless Munitions passive and see that nothing changes. Kill all, and not sure what the best pantheon is. Those tend to be more user preference and playstyle based.
Last edited by Savari94 on Dec 15, 2018, 6:57:35 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info