Lancing Steel Versus Shattering Steel.

So after playing back and forth with these two, lancing steel is just the superior one. Shattering steel is better for clearing to a degree but overall lancing steel is just much better. I messed with the increased area effect and concentrated effect with shattering and it felt weird lol. I'm a bit bummed at the moment because I really wanted to play shattering steel but I feel like I'm gimping myself and when I do bosses I can really feel the difference between the two. I remember looking at the gems, and thinking shattering looked superior on paper but man I was pretty wrong in this assumption.
Last bumped on Dec 30, 2018, 1:18:47 AM
I played around with them very briefly, nd thus far all I have seen is that they are almost completely identical skills. Lancing Steel is more useful as it actually allows me a ranged ability that covers the distance of a screen or more, versus say, spectral throw or shield throw.

I was more excited for multiple totem support for my warchief, but the 40% reduced damage is ridiculous.
"
xJdKxZomBiE wrote:
I played around with them very briefly, nd thus far all I have seen is that they are almost completely identical skills. Lancing Steel is more useful as it actually allows me a ranged ability that covers the distance of a screen or more, versus say, spectral throw or shield throw.

I was more excited for multiple totem support for my warchief, but the 40% reduced damage is ridiculous.

A big gripe with shattering steel is it's bonus is the further the projectile the more damage you get. Shattering covers less of an area than lancing does, its like the stats on the gems should be switched in my eyes.
Lancing Steel with the unique Pierce Gem is awesome for clear.

Take a Terminus EST, build Crit, use Crown of the Pale King, be happy to be immortal.

Yes the Crown reflect Heal works, I just checked it out.
I'm faetaking 3 Syndicate Member with 2-3 Stars on ~40% ressist with 900 Armor and 3,5k life.
My Lifebar is basically not moving.

This is broken af and I'm glad I picked that build^^
Last edited by Arandur on Dec 8, 2018, 4:22:27 PM
Well said!

I think Shattering Steel is really strong with dual Grelwood. The additional Projectiles should be really good for both, clear and shotgunning Bosses.

Lancing is just more the big-hit thing with 2H because of garantued Impale.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
Interesting. Completely the opposite feeling I got when testing. I liked Shattering Steel's shotgun effect, its synergy with Point Blank and AoE coverage. I found Lancing Steel too narrow and in need of peripheral supports. I think my failing was in trying to upgrade from SS to LS with dual wielding. By all reports, lancing steel shines with a bigass 2hander.

But in the end I decided they're not really comparable; Lancing Steel isn't a flat upgrade to Shattering Steel. They're their own things, and built right can each be effective skills.

So there's no real need to 'vs' them, even if their names seem to indicate there's cause to. :)

Might be why I'm favoring the lancing because I'm using a two handed weapon now. Its weird that point blank would be a good support with it, when I ran it with point blank I didn't feel the power increased by much. I'm still going to play both because I still can't make up my mind which one I want to play with, I will probably have a shattering setup for clearing and lancing for bossing when I get it all together with sockets and links.

"
Arandur wrote:
Yes the Crown reflect Heal works, I just checked it out.
I'm faetaking 3 Syndicate Member with 2-3 Stars on ~40% ressist with 900 Armor and 3,5k life.
My Lifebar is basically not moving.

I bought one to test out, but its weird it works when the dev's said it shouldn't. Not sure exactly how im going to be able to see if this mechanic is working when I test this in a bit though lol.
When did the devs say, it shouldn't work? Read nothing about that^^
"
Arandur wrote:
When did the devs say, it shouldn't work? Read nothing about that^^

Mean't to say IFFFFF it works but there was a post on reddit and someone was wondering if this interaction would work. Mark responded and said it wouldn't work or shouldn't work. I don't know where exactly it is but ya. Let me test this out though.
Alright guys, so I did some testing for everyone. First I don't even notice anything different from wearing that helmet so again I don't even know how to test that accurate. The only way I can think of testing it is using vaal pact and pvping someone for some simple damage calculations.

Second, Shattering steel is listed under the AOE tag, it appears the concentrated effect adds no additional damage but lessens the total travel distance. Increased area of effect increase the distance the main projectiles travel before bursting but also increasing the mini projectiles distance as well. Doesn't appear that projectile speed does much to anything to the actual distance traveled for the skill which is strange.

Third best setup so far for me and this is kind of just my opinion is, Shattering steel, vicious projectiles, faster attacks, maim, brutality, and greater projectiles and swap GMP for heavy bosses slower projectiles or chance to bleed. I messed with increased crits and multi but the later seemed much smoother.
Im using Lancing Steel on my Deadeye, dual wielding Scaeva right now. With 9-10 projectiles + chain (and my speed) its very good both for clearing and sigle target. Shattering Steel is good only for clearing, single target of it is just pathetic
(you dont give 100% more dmg as projectiles travel to a skill which can shotgun only when in a face of a monster... Lancing Steel can shotgun for any distance)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info