[3.9] Ice 9 Kills \m/ -Not Budget :( 9+ attacks/second-Chill/Freeze)

"
GlacialSpike wrote:
"
"
You think that build can be a good league starter?

Yea, all the uniques are easy to get and cheap early league. Only Quill Rain and Asenath's are build enabling.

"
Quill Rain now causes you to deal 40% less Damage (as opposed to Weapon Damage). This affects all versions of the item.

I think it can still be good, the Ice shot and RAT Totem were already getting the 40% less damage, so those numbers should be exactly the same as the PoB.

While I was hoping for a big increase in the Arctic Breath numbers that PoB was showing, if the dps for that is absolute crap my backup plan is to put utility spells in there:
-Cold Snap for chill and frenzies
-Frost Bomb for -20 Cold res
-Frostbite or Projectile Weakness for dmg/freeze/knockback
-Blood Rage for attack speed/frenzies

What do you exactly mean by " ice shot and rat totem were already getting 40% less damage" ?

Quill Rain already says "40% less Weapon Damage" so the Path of Building calculations were already applying the 40% less damage to the Ice Shot and RAT totem. So, basically this is only a nerf to any damage that wasn't done by the weapon itself.

I figure they nerfed it because if you took new Cast on Crit and got 35% cooldown reduction on boots and belt, this would allow you to cast 9 spells per second if you can somehow attack+hit+crit that fast. That would be very easily attainable with something like a Quill Rain Assassin.
damn, is that ICE NINE KILLS metalcore band reference in the title?
"
damn, is that ICE NINE KILLS metalcore band reference in the title?

yepppppp I have a few of their songs on my playlist if you come hang at my stream sometimes ;o) shameless plug is shameless... I know :(
Looking forward to this.
More updates before the league starts?
"
Balantakos wrote:
Looking forward to this.
More updates before the league starts?

Once Path of Building has all the new goodies I will be updating this. I took the day off work tomorrow so I can have all my builds updated well before launch!
Hey TheNotoriousPIG,

I love your Ice Raider Build Guide so far. I'm 99% sure I'm going to go with an Ice Raider for my league starter for betrayal. (Though I know a lot of folks are probably going with Toxic/Caustic Rain builds...tempting but I wanted to do something less common) I was doing some theory crafting with Path of Building and I wanted to know what you thought about what I crafted so far. My inspiration for the build came from your guide. Would love your feedback and thoughts!

The key changes that I made for this current build:

[1] more damage by going for Heart of Ice (and if you want to take your character to lvl 100 could also go for Breath of Rime currently my POB is shooting for lvl 95)

[2] going for a hybrid life + ES. This is where I was really testing the waters as I've never really played a hybrid life + ES build...so love your thoughts on this!!

[3] for gear I had a few other items I wanted to try like Lion's Eyefall or even possible Windripper for MF build. What do you think of Voidfletcher vs Hyrri? Also love your thoughts on any other items that might work and what items you would sub-in for semi-MF build?

Feel free to take a look and use this theory-crafted build if it is helpful.

Here's my POB link: https://pastebin.com/ZE7iQd42

Best,
TheSt3rL3rd
Last edited by St3rL3rd on Dec 7, 2018, 3:56:06 AM
"
St3rL3rd wrote:

[3] for gear I had a few other items I wanted to try like Lion's Eyefall or even possible Windripper for MF build. What do you think of Voidfletcher vs Hyrri? Also love your thoughts on any other items that might work and what items you would sub-in for semi-MF build?

Best,
TheSt3rL3rd

I will take a shot for point 3, cause i don't have time to check your PoB until today's afternoon. The main reason for the choice of Quill Rain is the attackspeed. You want to cast Arctic Breath as much as possible.

Asenath's Chant:

25% chance to Trigger a Socketed Spell when you Attack with a Bow: Each time you use a bow attack, there is a 25% chance that one of the socketed spells will be cast. Each spell has a separate 250 ms cooldown.

So with QR it is possible to get 9 to 10 APS.
Let's say 10 APS -> 0.1s per attack. Each attack has got 25% chance to trigger AB. -> 0.4s per AB, but the cooldown for AB is 0.25s.
This is the case for one arrow, with two arrows you will half your AB cast time. -> 0.2s < 0.25s

With this thought it is possible to choose another bow. Free Far Shot with Lioneye's, MF with Windripper or something else. But it depends on your arrows and your attack speed.

"
HoschiBro wrote:
"
St3rL3rd wrote:

Best,
TheSt3rL3rd

I will take a shot for point 3, cause i don't have time to check your PoB until today's afternoon. The main reason for the choice of Quill Rain is the attackspeed. You want to cast Arctic Breath as much as possible.

Asenath's Chant:

25% chance to Trigger a Socketed Spell when you Attack with a Bow: Each time you use a bow attack, there is a 25% chance that one of the socketed spells will be cast. Each spell has a separate 250 ms cooldown.

So with QR it is possible to get 9 to 10 APS.
Let's say 10 APS -> 0.1s per attack. Each attack has got 25% chance to trigger AB. -> 0.4s per AB, but the cooldown for AB is 0.25s.
This is the case for one arrow, with two arrows you will half your AB cast time. -> 0.2s < 0.25s

With this thought it is possible to choose another bow. Free Far Shot with Lioneye's, MF with Windripper or something else. But it depends on your arrows and your attack speed.

[1] on my lvl 100 tree I just went for Forces of Nature and Assassination for damage since it was less travel points.

[2] comparing the 2 PoB's, it pretyt much comes out to if you want more effect life or Acro/Phase Acro. With the gear shown, you're getting about 600 ES by losing Acro/Phase Acro. I'm not gonna crunch the numbers, but if I had to guess it's probably a fair trade off but ES would prob give you more room to min/max since you can get some big numbers on life/ES gear.

[3] Yea, those items could def work. I did throw in a Lioneye's and it was more DPS but less procs of Asenath's. And from what Hoschibro mentioned, it may not be much of a drop off at all.

Very good points Hoschibro!

Im trying this to start the league.
Haven't played PoE in over a year.
I have yet to play a decent ranger.
"
evilmaxwar wrote:
Im trying this to start the league.
Haven't played PoE in over a year.
I have yet to play a decent ranger.

Great! This is my first Ranger, so I'm figuring a lot of things out. Check the "Betrayal Progress" part of the build often. Also, if you have any friends that know Ranger leveling, talk to them and let me know if you have any tips! I'll throw it in there with credit of course!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info