Skeleton mages socket dilemna

Short version: I need suggestions for what to use as my 2 red support gems to use for summoned skeleton mages (I'm using 2x dead reckoning jewels).

Longer version: I've gone and blown all my chromatics trying to get a good colour combo on my 6-link body armour with, well, crappy results, really. I'm stuck with 2 red sockets, and would love to hear what people think the best possible gems to put in there are. Right now, this is what I have:

But being a bit of an idiot, I'm not even 100% sure the maim support and elemental damage with attacks even work on skellie mages. HALP!
Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Stay stupid.
Last edited by Foogalicious on Nov 14, 2018, 2:01:33 PM
Last bumped on Nov 14, 2018, 9:18:21 PM
They don't. Use Empower and Less Duration.
"
Hercanic wrote:
They don't. Use Empower and Less Duration.

Thanks for the suggestions. Empower confuses hell outta me. If I understand correctly, it only bumps the level of the skill gem (summon skeletons in my case) but not the linked support gems. I take it that it's still worth it in my case?
Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Stay stupid.
Damage, life, accuracy, evasion, armor, and other stats are scaled by a minion's Monster Level, which is in most cases tied to gem level (Raise Spectre being the exception). A level 20 gem = monster level 70. Every gem level is two monster levels. +3 gem levels (e.g. Empower level 4), or monster level 76, will give your skeleton mages about 40% more damage and 40% more life. +6 gem levels, or monster level 82, would give them 100% more damage and 100% more life, an exponential return. My build makes plenty of use of level stacking.
Last edited by Hercanic on Nov 14, 2018, 3:31:12 PM
There is a build combo where you use iron will, the baron and skeleton mages, you just need lots of strength to make it worthwhile.

Another alternative is to use earendels embrace and then you can use fire penetration.

Finally, knockback is a great defensive gem to put in if your skellies are utility and not needed for full damage
"
Hercanic wrote:
...Every gem level is two monster levels. +3 gem levels (e.g. Empower level 4), or monster level 76, will give your skeleton mages about 40% more damage and 40% more life. +6 gem levels, or monster level 82, would give them 100% more damage and 100% more life, an exponential return. My build makes plenty of use of level stacking.

Ooh, that is one heck of a compelling reason that is! Thanks. Also - that's your build? I remember stumbling across it a while back and just loving the presentation to bits. May just have to try it come the next league. I'm guessing it'll still be plenty viable there too.

"
grimlock9999 wrote:
There is a build combo where you use iron will, the baron and skeleton mages, you just need lots of strength to make it worthwhile.
And that's another build I was chewing over, but decided against since it would take too much re-spec and re-equipping. Just wasn't up for it.

"
grimlock9999 wrote:
Finally, knockback is a great defensive gem to put in if your skellies are utility and not needed for full damage
Ah, but out of the 11 skelletons I can summon, 10 are mages and there's only one poor little melee dude going "Aw, come on guys! Save some for me. Come onnn!" The knockback support is melee only, isn't it?

<edited to correct a missing quotation mark. I'm also the guy who'll go back to pick up that wisdom scroll or open the chest back there>
Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Stay stupid.
Last edited by Foogalicious on Nov 14, 2018, 9:20:04 PM
"
Ah, but out of the 11 skelletons I can summon, 10 are mages and there's only one poor little melee dude going "Aw, come on guys! Save some for me. Come onnn! The knockback support is melee only, isn't it?

Ha. Tell them they are not alone! Any on hit effect can use knockback support, including skellie mages
"
grimlock9999 wrote:
"
Ah, but out of the 11 skelletons I can summon, 10 are mages and there's only one poor little melee dude going "Aw, come on guys! Save some for me. Come onnn! The knockback support is melee only, isn't it?

Ha. Tell them they are not alone! Any on hit effect can use knockback support, including skellie mages

I'm learning so much this thread. Thanks guys!
Knowledge is power.
Power corrupts.
Stay stupid.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info